Get Garage!

RadioRedline

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight Wife came with to wash Yellow, and I put back on the taillight I borrowed to test with when I was fixing the Grey Taillights. Oddly enough, I must have a fuse missing because the top left corner one is MIA and my headlights are a no go! Got Tails, Backups, signals, markers, no headlights. So tomorrow I will go to Canadian Tire to get some fuses, what type do our trucks use? Bought 16 more Haynes Manuals cheap on CL other day, and check out my 10$ Air Ratchet and Impact Sockets to get me started (My first real ait tool) bought this b/c haven't enuf money atm to get the full Mastercraft set I want (299$ + 199$) but I thought for stubborn bolts on my L20B this shit might come in handy!

Also got a free sub from Harley I think its an 8 inch, that I will recarpet and kickerize to throw btw my benz buckets in the grey 620.

Radio

wtf1.jpg

wtf2.jpg

wtf3.jpg

wtf4.jpg

wtf5.jpg

wtf6.jpg

wtf7.jpg

wtf8.jpg

wtf9.jpg

wtf10.jpg

Ok, so i bled all the brakes, and reinstalled my new Rear wheel cylinders as previous ones were seized. Brake are maybe 5% better?!

So Master cylinder time? (someone suggested, and I have a new in box one)

Or how do I adjust the brake shoes (Master tech at work seems to think thats the issue, that my shoes aren't properly adjusted)

Radio

hey radio, on the back side of the drums, theres this opening going in, well if you take a flach light, and look in, you will see a star shape wheel, spin it either way that tightens the shoes. have the wheel off the ground while doing this. do a little bit first, then spin the wheel. if it got a little harder to spin, thats good. if it didnt make any diference, you might not have gone far enough, or you went the wrong direction... but i think you have to spin it up to tighten... good luck!

also one more question, you said you kept bleeding them, but you kept getting air in the lines? what procedure did you use to breed them? did you do it in the right rotation? are you loosing and fluid like a leaking line somewhere where air could come in? all the lines were good when i had it, it just needed new shoes, and a readjustment. i also had my thoughts on the new master cylinder.

hey radio, on the back side of the drums, theres this opening going in, well if you take a flach light, and look in, you will see a star shape wheel, spin it either way that tightens the shoes. have the wheel off the ground while doing this. do a little bit first, then spin the wheel. if it got a little harder to spin, thats good. if it didnt make any diference, you might not have gone far enough, or you went the wrong direction... but i think you have to spin it up to tighten... good luck!

also one more question, you said you kept bleeding them, but you kept getting air in the lines? what procedure did you use to breed them? did you do it in the right rotation? are you loosing and fluid like a leaking line somewhere where air could come in? all the lines were good when i had it, it just needed new shoes, and a readjustment. i also had my thoughts on the new master cylinder.

I believe one rotates the star until the shoe contacts the drum.

Then back off 3-5 clicks?

When the drums are off make sure the star wheel adjusters aren't seized and are lubed with lithium grease so they are easy to turn. You can just see them in this picture at the very bottom between the two wheel studs. There should be a rubber plug behind on the backing plate you remove and use a bladed screwdriver to crank the star wheel while spinning the wheel. You will feel a slight drag as the shoes are expanded inside the drum. Because the shoes could be off center pump the brakes a few times to center them and check for drag and add more if it changes. I tighten them until it turns with some difficulty and then back off until you can barely feel anything. If the shoes are out of adjustment much of the brake peddle travel is wasted just moving all four sets of shoes towards the drums. If you notice the backs tend to lock up before the fronts then loosen both sides equally a couple of turns and re-check.

cyl7.jpg

So tonight I did two things:

1. Started the long process of processing and straigthening out "Where" certain things should have a home, mainly the top level of my storage units and shelves. everything left in the box of grey is still not processed. (Next night) I was able to figure out alot of things by collecting a number of same size boxes from my work, and now I can have sets or related items kept together, instead of just ending up in a box of "OTHER", and then Never finding a part or piece when you need it!! Hate that!!

Radio

str1.jpg

str2.jpg

str3.jpg

str4.jpg

str5.jpg

str6.jpg

str7.jpg

str8.jpg

2. I started to disassemble and spray painted the grey carpet of that 8 inch sub box Harley gave me. Thinking if I don't like how the spray paint looks in the morning, I'll just wrap some black "audio installer" carpet around the tube, and I'm thinking grey or blue for the end caps.

str9.jpg

str10.jpg

str11.jpg

str12.jpg

Tonight was a multi Tasking night at Harleys Place. He changed his Benz's oil, and cycled his 68 Chevy, an the 73 Hilux. I jacked up my 521 and the driver side brake adjusters went smooth as eggs!

The Front pass side brake adjuster's gear was completely seized and had to be heated up, but in the process of taking it off we broke the back piece that keeps it sitting nice. So we put it all back together, and instead of 5% brake power, I now would say its at 40%...ahh progress! So now will replace the now dragging front pass wheel adjuster that broke, re bleed in correct order, and i'd say i'd be 85% of the way there! (it was dark by then, so we called it a night)

Maybe throw on that new master cyl in the process and 99% good to go i'd say!

Again this is taking longer than I anticipated, however not in a super rush as these are my hobby trucks...that I much enjoy to drive.

Radio

multi1.jpg

multi2.jpg

multi3.jpg

multi4.jpg

multi5.jpg

multi6.jpg

multi7.jpg

multi8.jpg

multi9.jpg

multi10.jpg

Yeah! Last night We jacked up the green truck front end, and got some super deals at Princess auto.

The pass side front wheel brake shoe adjuster Harley took off and cleaned up so he could fix it for me. The way it connects to the hub, broke off from being seized.

Got a 3 mini gauge pack for 10$ (brand new Equus) and I stocked up on 5, 10, 15, and 20 AMP Fuses.

Radio

pa1.jpg

pa2.jpg

Tonight was a good night. I washed the Stanza, and Astra. I hung out on the creeper underneath the 521 checking out the suspension seeing whats loose, and worn and with a flashlight and my trusty Haynes Manual I learned alot about these setups. (I know this doesn't sound like work) but it was prolly 30 mins just inspecting all the rubber and bushings. Learned alot for what I need to do to this truck, and all of my Datsuns.

Then for actual work, I took off my driver door on my Red/Grey 620. So Later I can finish the hood and doors in black, inside and out.I also knocked off the fibreglass piece that I put on the rocker, cleaned that area up, because I was thinking about what somebody suggested with the "Hand Revited" and sheet steel idea. Why not, I'm excited about working on my truck, but I don't have to rush.

I am thinking that will really mean the look up, going that route.

The Look I'm thinking:

door9.jpg

Grey Truck is my Rat Rod afterall.

Radio

door1.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

door4.jpg

door5.jpg

door6.jpg

door7.jpg

door8.jpg

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Tonight was a good night. I washed the Stanza, and Astra. I hung out on the creeper underneath the 521 checking out the suspension seeing whats loose, and worn and with a flashlight and my trusty Haynes Manual I learned alot about these setups. (I know this doesn't sound like work) but it was prolly 30 mins just inspecting all the rubber and bushings. Learned alot for what I need to do to this truck, and all of my Datsuns.

Then for actual work, I took off my driver door on my Red/Grey 620. So Later I can finish the hood and doors in black, inside and out.I also knocked off the fibreglass piece that I put on the rocker, cleaned that area up, because I was thinking about what somebody suggested with the "Hand Revited" and sheet steel idea. Why not, I'm excited about working on my truck, but I don't have to rush.

I am thinking that will really mean the look up, going that route.

The Look I'm thinking:

door9.jpg

Grey Truck is my Rat Rod afterall.

Radio

door1.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg

door4.jpg

door5.jpg

door6.jpg

door7.jpg

door8.jpg

Didnt you glass them there rockers Radio?

:lol:

Wanna here the lumber jack song too lol :P

Just funning yah radeeo :lol: