finally... nicks '72 510 "ONEFINE,FIVEDIME"

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more more more!!!!!!!

lol! im gettin there im gettin there, gotta keep up the suspense! =) just alot of pics to go thru (ima picture whore) but i figure you guys could appreciate that!

and thanks jester i forgot a solo pic of that its out of a 350 sbc got it from work =)

beach041-1.jpg

got it to my dads friday night, made some room and went to work. we figured if we were going to put a motor

in it might as well clean up the engine bay a bit, shaved all unnecessary holes, got rid of the heater core and shaved those too,

battery is going in the truck so shaved that off (needs more body work done to it still) and stitch welded the whole engine bay =)

stitchweld.jpg

stitchweld17.jpg

stitchweld12.jpg

stitchweld6.jpg

theswap145.jpg

theswap133.jpg

my dad at work

theswap132.jpg

theswap127.jpg

theswap137.jpg

theswap136.jpg

theswap138.jpg

theswap167.jpg

we decided to go a different route on the xmember, instead of cutting & flipping the middle out we decided drill out the hole for the arm and

put a long bolt and instead of letting the motor rest on just the lower portion of the mounts, cutting them off and lowering them so it rests on

it completly.

me cutting off the mounts

theswap149.jpg

theswap155.jpg

theswap169.jpg

brent and ken helping align the mounts right (stilltwisted and 260zkaboom)

theswap174.jpg

my dad has an entire shop and he decides to weld em up on the floor?!?

theswap186.jpg

theswap178.jpg

the bolt we used

theswap117.jpg

theswap119.jpg

theswap118.jpg

all welded up

theswap196.jpg

theswap147.jpg

theswap204.jpg

any more experienced people have any reason why running the long bolts instead of the shanked ones not work? mostly wondering because i havent seen anyone do it this way and was wondering why. either way i hope it works because its done and in! =)

any more experienced people have any reason why running the long bolts instead of the shanked ones not work? mostly wondering because i havent seen anyone do it this way and was wondering why. either way i hope it works because its done and in! =)

well, what's the sheer strength on the bolts you used? that's a downside to running something different than the factory bolts. you run the risk of running a bolt that's not strong enough or that may fatigue prematurely.

well, what's the sheer strength on the bolts you used? that's a downside to running something different than the factory bolts. you run the risk of running a bolt that's not strong enough or that may fatigue prematurely.

make sense.. i know it was pretty heavy duty, but i dont know exactly... gotta find out

then next step was to get the motor in .. by this time it was already 4 0 clock in the morning sunday technically

theswap215.jpg

theswap217.jpg

theswap228.jpg

theswap230.jpg

theswap232.jpg

woot woot! KA in my car! =) was soo excited!

a trans mount was in order. so my dad worked his magic

theswap234.jpg

it came out legit!

theswap242.jpg

theswap243.jpg

theswap245.jpg

that mount is heavy duty, he used some thick flat stock and i switched out that stud to a bolt since i dont want it grabbing on anything on the road (plan on being pretty low) oh and by the way, i used a GM polyurethane trans mount (it bolted straight up to the trans!)

Sick dime, my friend! I am planning on running a KA24E in my Roadster, so it's nice to see someone else rocking a single cam. I am looking forward to seeing more progress!!!

Also, it is totally badass that you are out there kickin' it sideways. I am hoping to do a little drifting in my roadster at some point, as well as some autocross. Not many people out there throwing the classic jap cars around! Shame there aren't more, too, because they drift really well! My roadster is very controllable sideways, and very stable too. I don't do it often, but still.

I am looking forward to seeing more! Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures rolling! You are giving me inspiration to update my build thread! :D

Nice MOORR,power! Now you can add pics with tire smoke! Others may call it drifting. but I dont call it drifting till the wheels are spinning fast enuff,TO MAKE A LITTLE SMOKE :D

Sweet dime Nick!

I just read the whole thread for my first time. Great story.

Keep up the good work!

Rich

thanks alot! im glad to hear people like hearing full details cuz i sure like to tell em! lol! =)

Looks good. Why didn't you paint the engine bay?

thats towards the end, since im making alot of my own stuff im gona wait till the car will start and drive then paint, powder coat, etc.

Nice MOORR,power! Now you can add pics with tire smoke! Others may call it drifting. but I dont call it drifting till the wheels are spinning fast enuff,TO MAKE A LITTLE SMOKE

definitely agree with you dude! i hope i can cuz if not im gona have to make it up with insane angle! =)

Sick dime, my friend! I am planning on running a KA24E in my Roadster, so it's nice to see someone else rocking a single cam. I am looking forward to seeing more progress!!!

Also, it is totally badass that you are out there kickin' it sideways. I am hoping to do a little drifting in my roadster at some point, as well as some autocross. Not many people out there throwing the classic jap cars around! Shame there aren't more, too, because they drift really well! My roadster is very controllable sideways, and very stable too. I don't do it often, but still.

I am looking forward to seeing more! Keep up the good work, and keep the pictures rolling! You are giving me inspiration to update my build thread! :D

thanks alot dude! i appreciate everything your saying, thatll be cool to see a single cam roadster! the motor doesnt get enough credit! (my luck im gona get tired of it in the first week) lol! i wana see a video of that thing sideways!! (do it do it!)

sunday nite whe had it back down on the ground,its a beautiful thing to see your car back on its own wheels after modding it

like that =)

theswap249-1.jpg

(like i said, picture whore)

theswap255.jpg

theswap258-1.jpg

driver and passanger side bucket mounts... heavy duty!

theswap263.jpg

theswap264.jpg

left: 240sx speedo gear right: 300zx tt (1st gen) speedo gear hopefully thats really all i need to have a working gauge!

theswap262-1.jpg

Hey man I really like what you did with those control arms. Can I get some more details on what you and your dad did? Like where did you you get the parts that you welded on? And to get the camper you did, 2 or 3 degrees, did you need to run camper plates to get that or did it work out by just adjusting the control arm? Also how do those adjust? Do you have to do it before you mount them or can you adjust them after?

If I know what I'm doing and can get that threaded ball joint thing I think ill go ahead and do that to mine

Hey man I really like what you did with those control arms. Can I get some more details on what you and your dad did? Like where did you you get the parts that you welded on? And to get the camper you did, 2 or 3 degrees, did you need to run camper plates to get that or did it work out by just adjusting the control arm? Also how do those adjust? Do you have to do it before you mount them or can you adjust them after?

If I know what I'm doing and can get that threaded ball joint thing I think ill go ahead and do that to mine

thanks dude! my dad had the heim joints and weld on bungs because he uses them alot (adjustable suspension) i could of used a smaller heim b

but i opted for the 1/2" then bought high misalignment spacers (from ballistic fabrication) so that it could slide right on to the stock...bolt thingy..

he made a jig so that when the heim is all the way in its at stock camber (or lack therof) cut the arm up, cut some tubing, and make it look

pretty and ta dah u have adjustable arms! i think i spent around $40 -$50 on supplies (compared to buying the arms for $300 or so) unfortunately

i do have to remove the arm to adjust camber but since u have to redo caster and toe every time you change camber, once u get it where u like it

youll never move it. . lastly, i dont have camber plates, (still wana get some tho!) the advantage is your track witdh increases so when i

throw it into corners i can feel it plant! =) highly recommended if u have the skills to do it! (sorry if for any reason my response seems off, my

wife keeps interrupting me while im typing and i dont feel like rewriting it!)

thanks dude! my dad had the heim joints and weld on bungs because he uses them alot (adjustable suspension) i could of used a smaller heim b

but i opted for the 1/2" then bought high misalignment spacers (from ballistic fabrication) so that it could slide right on to the stock...bolt thingy..

he made a jig so that when the heim is all the way in its at stock camber (or lack therof) cut the arm up, cut some tubing, and make it look

pretty and ta dah u have adjustable arms! i think i spent around $40 -$50 on supplies (compared to buying the arms for $300 or so) unfortunately

i do have to remove the arm to adjust camber but since u have to redo caster and toe every time you change camber, once u get it where u like it

youll never move it. . lastly, i dont have camber plates, (still wana get some tho!) the advantage is your track witdh increases so when i

throw it into corners i can feel it plant! =) highly recommended if u have the skills to do it! (sorry if for any reason my response seems off, my

wife keeps interrupting me while im typing and i dont feel like rewriting it!)

ahhhh thank you dude it seems so easy now. I'm gonna do it!