finally... nicks '72 510 "ONEFINE,FIVEDIME"

thanks alot dude! i appreciate everything your saying, thatll be cool to see a single cam roadster! the motor doesnt get enough credit! (my luck im gona get tired of it in the first week) lol! i wana see a video of that thing sideways!! (do it do it!)

Once I finish my big brake swap, I will be uploading some more videos... Trouble is, the stock R16 is completely gutless, so sliding is hard with my big sticky tires! I would kill to see some videos of yours sideways though!!! That KA aught to make it easy as pie to kick up a ton of smoke. I wish mine was as far along as yours!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks alot everybody! i appreciate all the enthusiasm! =) i got a 5 day weekend (starting today!) so i hope i cant

knock some ish out on it. unfortunately i completely dread wiring so thats why 260zkaboom is handling that area!

=) (and im observing of course) 72 dyme, ill make another (template) and at least have it ready by next mo-val

meet. and tomakze i understand whatchu mean, and sucks how expensive lsds are! but dont trip youll get there!

i know it looks like im kickin ass and taking names on my car but these pics are over the course of at LEAST a year!

i had alot of shit going on and didnt always make time to do it. esp. soon when i get ready to pull it back out and

paint/powdercoat. anyone that can give me a deal on powdercoating all my stuff??

bought a vw rabbit radiator (dont remember the year) it fits perfect in the rad. support

theswap278.jpg

decided to go a different route as far as mounting (idk why!? i think subconsciously i like to make shit difficult)

theswap280.jpg

theswap279.jpg

theswap281.jpg

the lower mount will be welded to the frame

theswap284.jpg

theswap286.jpg

theswap292.jpg

picked up this guy from speedway motors (minus the fitting)

theswap301.jpg

started to make my hoses

theswap308.jpg

theswap311.jpg

template of lower hose (so much easier to get parts from autozone when u have a template!)

theswap313.jpg

went to buy the hose at autozone and i swear they mean well but dammit sometimes i cant stand them! the dude just wouldnt listen!

autozone guy: what could i help you with?

me: can i have a look at your radiator hoses cuz mine is for a custom application.

autozone guy: yes sir but itll be easier if i just look up what you need

me: your not gona have it im using different parts

autozone guy: sir, trust me ill find it

me: its for a datsun with a KA in it

autozone guy: is a datsun like a nissan?

me: *sigh*... yes.. but your not gona find the motor size

autozone guy: see here it is right here, what size motor is it again?

me: dude, its a 72 datsun 510, with a 89 240sx engine , and a 80 something vw rabbit radiator in it!

autozone guy: ... let me take you to the back

car places should have car people working there...

anyways..

my first time making something that technical completely by myself! pretty happy with the outcome!

10" fan was the biggest i could fit, and so i opted to have the vents cuz at highway speeds itd be suffocated

fanshroud3-1.jpg

fanshroud7-1.jpg

famshroud5-1.jpg

fanshroud8-1.jpg

fanshroud10.jpg

whew....

fanshroud11.jpg

its starting to look like an engine bay! =)

bay.jpg

p/u 240sx throttle pedal and cable from the junkyard. mounted the cable and used the top half of the 240sx pedal and welded it to the

510 one, put a lil bend at the top and fit perfect! wasnt sure how i wanted the actual pedal then my coworker mentiond his bug and it had a wheel

for a pedal. second i saw it i had to have it! and i wanted it to be a skateboard wheel!

theswap297.jpg

theswap299.jpg

theswap294.jpg

best part is i can put any wheel i want!

gaspedal.jpg

had gotten this at eaglerock for $150! has a 300zx tt fuel pump!

gastank007.jpg

gastank005.jpg

gastank004.jpg

Hey is there a way you can send me an actual template of the bracket you used on the steering box? I will pay for cardboard, yes! LOL. I will then have my uncle, who is a machnist, make it for me and I will bolt it on. I like the idead behind this. Let me know please.

found these at a cool ass junkyard in san berdoo, (one of those that the people who own it, live on it) and picked em up for $100 =)

rearcoilovers002.jpg

and they were in this!

rearcoilover3.jpg

... on top of this!! (had to climb the side of it and hold on for dear life while i tried to unbolt them)

rearcoilover.jpg

super excited to have picked them up! and since they were dual eyelets just had to fab somethin up

rearcoilovers020.jpg

rearcoilovers019.jpg

rearcoilovers023.jpg

rearcoilovers022.jpg

rearcoilovers008.jpg

rearcoilovers007.jpg

fitted em with poly bushings and theyre ready to drop in! (didnt have a picture)

gona have to do something about the springs before its running tho. car was a circle track racer so one is 610 lbs. and the other

475!! lol! i hope the setup works period! but for $150 total i figure its worth the risk

ran my primary line (5/16th brake line) not too bad for have never bending before, but it was a biatch to do so!

fuelline.jpg

fuelline3.jpg

fuelline7.jpg

using 2 stock 240sx fuel filters

in back:

fuelline9.jpg

up front: didnt want it to run up to the core support so i bent the stock line and my new one to the inside of the frame rail and up

the firewall , in my opinion WAY nicer!

fuelline4.jpg

(just gotta make a holder so that return isnt floppin around)

fuelline5.jpg

in few words.. WIRING my car SCARES ME.. idk why i just havent grasped how it works but thats where brent and ken come in! =)

(not just that but with all kinds of stuff on it, no doubt these two will be the reason why its running when it is!) THANKS GUYS!

them figuring it out this mess

theswap315.jpg

just looking at the harness gives me a headache..

theswap317.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

theswap319.jpg

i got rid of my heater core and am deciding to do something productive with that area, i made the front speaker panel and im going to mount the ECU behind it.

centerconsole.jpg

centerconsole2.jpg

like so (just not sure how yet)

009.jpg

then i wana make hinged "doors" for it and mount the relays and fuse on them to keep the kick panels clear and stuff out of view. then over

time build a center console to suit. i think itll look hella clean!

kinda like this, but not sure if itll work right: this is a current project that i have yet to complete, any thoughts or ideas?

centerconsole4.jpg

picked up some 15x7s for the back!

15x7mesh-1.jpg

gona look so f'n sexy when their on

15x7.jpg

15x72.jpg

started gettin to work cuz those lips need help

15x75.jpg

15x77.jpg

thats pretty much current except for mounting the batt box. progress so far has been over a long period of time, ive gone through alot of

changes during this time, some of which were getting married, moving, adjusting to more bills and married life. aquiring a great sized garage to

get this thing done in. im happy! =D

newhome.jpg

gona get more done this saturday, not sure what but hopefully itll be significant!

• 4 weeks later...

had an unexpected "work on the datsun" day 2day, pretty cool and productive just chilled out got stuff done while listening to music =) not much but its progress!

2 gauge welding cable

battcable.jpg

ran my power to the front with the fuel line

battcable3.jpg

battcable2.jpg

i need a optima and terminal ends and power is done! (ha ha! thats like 3/4 of the power)

battcable4.jpg

remade my console door templates and cut em out of 20 ga. (4got to take pics! dammit) gona get some small piano hinge to make them

open and close and figure out a latching system

0625111558.jpg

0625111557.jpg

finished drilling other hinge for the struts =) love em!

hoodstrut2.jpg

hoodstrut.jpg

gona run this high beam open w mesh like so, wanted to see it already! i love it! but anyone know where i could get the "domed"

mesh screen? this one is flat and had and a emblem in that indent area

meshlight.jpg

meshlight2.jpg

You really should run your power cable separate from the fuel line. Fuel and fire can make a bad situation for your dime IF something were to go wrong.

i do agree with you, my only problem was i didnt have much routing to work with. (altho i didnt look it up and see how everyone else runs theres) my problem with it is the vulnerable spot between the rear suspension and "frame rail" since im low im paranoid its gona rub both lines on driveways,speed bumps, etc. so im goin to make a skidplate/ cover for that area. my only other options on the routing would be to run it along the other side of the car ( which doesnt make make sense since the batt and starter are on the p/s) or have it run through the car (which didnt seem like the best option either)

• 3 weeks later...

ahaha sup man this is Topher i didn't relies this was yours. i asked you a wile back about the drifting. when your up and running lets go to the drift night.

lol! yeah i remember ur avatar now hell yeah dude ill make sure to hit you up! unfortunately its gona be a while but hey nuthin wrong with planning for the future! ill make sure to hit you up when i find out about meets too! (if u wana roll)

and wagon jon, thank you sir! i definately will keep postin as i take em! i need to make more progress!!!! =/

Ya dude I would love to go to meets but I never know where they are lol. Do you know where I can get scpair or a single racing seat? You can always role with me if your cars not running I just need a passengers seat lol. Or I can always just throw in my rear seats

Ya dude I would love to go to meets but I never know where they are lol. Do you know where I can get scpair or a single racing seat? You can always role with me if your cars not running I just need a passengers seat lol. Or I can always just throw in my rear seats

thats cool dude! i appreciate it! =) ( and might have to take you up on that offer one day!) you know what, my dads business partner has a pair of recaros out of an evo.. im not sure if he wants to sell em, (or if theyll fit) but as soon as he lets me know ill let you know

thats cool dude! i appreciate it! =) ( and might have to take you up on that offer one day!) you know what, my dads business partner has a pair of recaros out of an evo.. im not sure if he wants to sell em, (or if theyll fit) but as soon as he lets me know ill let you know

sweet dude let me know!

still twisted picked up this cleaner glove box assy for me from eagle rock (which i did go to but forgot i needed!) gona use pieces from it

newglovebox.jpg

newglovebox3.jpg

and i had picked up an un fd up radio surround. want my dash to look like new so went and bought a can of trim black and started. (these lil side projects is why my swap isnt done yet, unfortunately this is how i function, so i guess as long as its the datsun im working on its all good)

paintdash.jpg