Rear Bumper

Suspect

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a ticket with my 73 620 for not having a rear bumper on the truck.... I was just wondering if the rear bumper was an optional idem in 73.

fight the ticket, im sure it wouldnt be hard to get it dismissed since your taillights are mounted in what would be the roll pan and since your liscence plate doesnt mount to the bumper, get a bunch of pics of our 620's and present them, explain to them how the bumper is only for trailering items and since you dont trailer you dont have one, i know it sounds corny but any evidence that will conflict with the ticket is helpful, also check your local and state laws

I didn't know they were an option , not saying that they weren't an option . The way I understand it is that some dealer put them on and some didn't . But I am not sure :lol: but yeah you can beat that ticket , I have yet to see a brochure that shows a rear bumper bolted on one

If you look at all/most early620s that still have a rear bumpers, they have minor differences. Same with the 521s, I dont know if there were regional distributors or not. There was a post on here a while back about a picture with a bunch of 620s coming off the boat with bumperettes...

You should be able to fight that ticket, but they may try and make you run a rear bumper, not sure if thats even legal... unless/if the dealer was required to install them to meet US safety specs, which could be entirely likely.

If it were me Id show them the brochures and stuff without bumpers and if they pull some rule or regulation out of their ass that makes them mandatory even if your truck was not originally equipped with one... Id run one just to cut down on the BS

If you still get hassled for other stuff get a long stick, tie a donut on the end and stick it on the roof of the cop car :rolleyes: I dont know if it will work but I want to see pictures.

And the pic of that red one in the brochure makes me really really really want to paint the 74...

you need to find out when your state made it law to have a rear bumper. If it was after the year your 620 was produced then your trk falls under the grandfather clause maybe. Just like the seat belts laws....

would you put up the violation code the officer wrote you up for. I want to polk around and see what I can find out.

When I got this ticket, I was in a 25mph zone doing somewhere around 25.... (speedo works wierd). This police officer was oncomming and as soon as he saw me he whips it around. I was pulling into McDonalds at about the same time he was turning around... The officer follows me into Mcdonalds parking lot and kicks on his lights. He comes up to my window and says nothing. I ask him why I was stopped and he said he didn't need a reason to stop me. He asked me why I turned into McDonalds, I said my friend and I was going to use the bathroom. He walks back to his donut cruiser, and 45 min later returns to my window. I get a piece of paper that had 3 tickets on it. Ticket #1 Not using my turn signal and I know I did and will take a poly graph on it. Ticket #2 was no rear bumper. Ticket #3 was that I had a tail light out. On the right side, one of the two lights was out. They were all working 3 years ago when I got pulled over and the officer at the time made me take a baulb out because the baulb itself was visible. He said as long as you have one tail light, one brake light, and one signal, that the truck would be legal. Since then I replaced the red cover but not the baulb.

I took my truck to the police post and had the tail light ticket signed off. I need to figure out the bumper and the suposevely not using my turn signal.

As for the belts, converters, other equipment..... As long as it was that way factory, it can still be used. So I have a lap belt, and I'm allowed to use it. I got pulled over in my 74 for lound exhaust.... I told the officer that it was because there was no converter on it. The officer gets cocky and says WHY DONT IT HAVE A CONVERTER!!, I said it came without one brand new in 74. He radio's it in and sure enough, a 74 Datsun 620 don't have a converter. So for years with several vehicles, I've been dealing with this. I've been fighting to keep my license after loosing it 3 times over stupid tickets (some I deservered) but many I didn't.

I feel that something needs to be done because the cops around here think they are gods or something. I lost count of how many times I've been pulled over. Two years ago I was over 100. So 100 times being pulled over, and a minimum of 30 mins average each, would be 50 hrs wasted of my time. I would think there would be a line where it would be considered harassment.

The first time I got pulled over in a Datsun, the cops excuse was that my exhaust had a rumble. It was stock with muffler, but I was pulling off a bend in the road in 3rd gear.

If I was to sue, I'd have to seu three police departments. One is the South Haven Police, one Bangor Police, and the other would be the Van Buren County Police.

Van Buren police at one time tried to impount my 74 Datsun because I had a fuse blow out for the brake lights. It was a simple fix that I took care of while I was waiting for him to come back from his squad car. This officer was another one that was oncomming and had no reason to pull me over until he had to pick my truck for everything possible wrong.

I have ton and tons of stories, like I said, over 100 times being pulled over gives for alot of stories.

In 1975 cat converter was a must on every car/truck , so 1974 and earlier it is not required at all . If I was you I would file harassment charges against the police department . That is bull shit and I would be suing them for a cool million or more .

I don't think it was 75. I thought cats started being mandatory around 1981. My None of my 78 620s ever had them and I went through Phoenix emissions and they're pretty strict.

Suspect: Here's what you do. If you've actually been pulled over that many times without good cause, that's harrasment. Make an appointment to talk to the chief of police and explain the situation. You're not a drug dealer, etc., you're not doing burnouts in front of the local McDonalds, and you're getting tired of being harrassed.

A friend of mine had a 65 Mustang in high school and he never screwed around with it, but one night (being Idaho) he had a black girl in the car with him and a few other people and unfortunately Idaho being a little "backwards" occasionally someone called in that his car was shooting off an AK47 as they were going down the road. So the cops have no idea and swarm him, yelling at him to get out of the car and Ty being stubborn was like, "Fuck that, I'm not getting out of the car" escalating the stand off for a few minutes before the officers realized there never was a gun, and it was just four friends out on a Friday night. We think the call was put in because there was a black chick in the car and it was a convertible and some jackass redneck probably saw it and figured he'd screw with the situation.

Anyway, he kept getting pulled over after that for bullshit and went to talk to the chief of police and since he had a nice clean record, they took him seriously and he wasn't hasselled after that.

Edited by HRH
Do they have vehicle inspections there? They don't in Indiana.

But they will stop you for no turn signals,taillights, seat belts,carrying a concealed donut,whatever...

the only time that i know u need to get a vehicle inspected in indiana is if you are appliaing for a out of state title, rebuilt title or want to run antiuqe plates

I don't think it was 75. I thought cats started being mandatory around 1981. My None of my 78 620s ever had them and I went through Phoenix emissions and they're pretty strict.

Suspect: Here's what you do. If you've actually been pulled over that many times without good cause, that's harrasment. Make an appointment to talk to the chief of police and explain the situation. You're not a drug dealer, etc., you're not doing burnouts in front of the local McDonalds, and you're getting tired of being harrassed.

A friend of mine had a 65 Mustang in high school and he never screwed around with it, but one night (being Idaho) he had a black girl in the car with him and a few other people and unfortunately Idaho being a little "backwards" occasionally someone called in that his car was shooting off an AK47 as they were going down the road. So the cops have no idea and swarm him, yelling at him to get out of the car and Ty being stubborn was like, "Fuck that, I'm not getting out of the car" escalating the stand off for a few minutes before the officers realized there never was a gun, and it was just four friends out on a Friday night. We think the call was put in because there was a black chick in the car and it was a convertible and some jackass redneck probably saw it and figured he'd screw with the situation.

Anyway, he kept getting pulled over after that for bullshit and went to talk to the chief of police and since he had a nice clean record, they took him seriously and he wasn't hasselled after that.

I was pretty sure that it was 1975 but I could be wrong . The reason I honestly thought it was 75 is because I have a friend and he is a car guru . He has a 1974 mint condition 19,xxx mile never been molested vette and he says he is so glad its a 74 and not a 75 due to cats . But I guess it could have just been chevy that did it in 75 .

Catalytic Converters weren't a Federal mandate. What DID happen is that cars had to pass a particular emissions standard. For most US cars, that required a catalytic converter by 1975, but Ford didn't make the switch until 1976. But some cars could pass without them. Generally though it was easier to just add the catalytic converter and EGR systems (and the required Unleaded-only filler neck) that it was to totally redesign the way the engines work. Ford didn't use them in 1975 because of the expense, but the solution they used ate heavily into fuel mileage so they switched to the Catalyst system in 1976.

Most Japanese cars got through the 70s not needing them, and Honda made it all the way through 1981 without needing it.

California, OTOH, with its stricter standards made catalytic converters nearly impossible to avoid for everyone starting in 1975.

But the requirement is, if the car was originally equipped with a Catalytic Converter, it has to retain it.

OMG Cops are just stupid.... (my valued opinion)

Two came into my job today, We are working on their patrol cars at the shop. Well since they were there, on my "terf" lol I asked them about my bumper issue. They acted like I was bothering them.... and then started getting defencive.

They told me that I had to have a bumper. Then the two cops were conversating with eachother saying that I could get a 4X4 block of wood with rubber caps on the end and mount that on my truck as a rear bumper. Then the other cop said not thats illegal too but it might get you past the ticket....

Then I was discussing the seatbelts in vehicles before they were equipt like in T buckets etc. In Michigan, they don't have to update or even use belts. What ever came factory was allowed. I asked then why do I have to put a makeshift bumper on my truck then. They had no answer other than to go to the judge when I fight the ticket and state my case.

the only time that i know u need to get a vehicle inspected in indiana is if you are appliaing for a out of state title, rebuilt title or want to run antiuqe plates

I got my title transfered from Alabama to Indiana and didn't need an inspection. good thing because the truck is in pieces.:lol: