oh crap, tire help

skunk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just had got them back from powder coating so id rather not grind anything on the wheels

there made by western, there 15x8.5, the holes for the studs on the wheel seem biger then the studs on my truck, or is it ment to have a little wiggel?

16461_188694769448_510019448_2731565_4366022_n.jpg

how hard is it to change the wheel studs?

Edited by skunktruckin
i just had got them back from powder coating so id rather not grind anything on the wheels

there made by western, there 15x8.5

16461_188694769448_510019448_2731565_4366022_n.jpg

Those are cool wheels! If the mounting face of the wheel is making good contact you could get longer wheel studs to solve your problem. Its a minor pain in the ass swapping them out.

Those old Western wheels will most likely need shouldered mag style lug nuts. That is why the hole in the wheel seems much larger than the wheel studs.

http://www.excaliburwheel.com/magnut.html

Something like these. I have never done business with them either, they were the first ones in a google search.

Go visit you local tire store, bring a wheel with you. You wheel studs are 12 x1.25mm threads.

I have a couple sets of similar wheels- they need shouldered lugnuts, and those should work fine with the existing studs. You cannot use tapered or acorn nuts on those, they'd never be tight and would destroy the wheels.

But the shouldered lugnuts aren't cheap, and I had a heck of a time finding enough for my truck (I had many, but the wrong thread). Need 6 sets (they come in packs of 4), and no one store had more than 2 sets.

go to the parts house with your wheels and one of your studs, tell them you need some stud that are ? long but the same diameter and thread pitch, if they carry dorman studs they should def be able to help you out, also match up your lugs to your wheels, they should be able to help you with that also

Your studs are probably fine, you need a different style lug nut, as these guys have mentioned...

I have a couple sets of similar wheels- they need shouldered lugnuts, and those should work fine with the existing studs. You cannot use tapered or acorn nuts on those, they'd never be tight and would destroy the wheels.

Those old Western wheels will most likely need shouldered mag style lug nuts. That is why the hole in the wheel seems much larger than the wheel studs. You wheel studs are 12 x1.25mm threads.

Give these guys a call, their prices are much better than a tire shop, and they have lug nuts by the barrel...

Eugene Fastener

595 Wilson St

Eugene, OR 97402-2641

(541) 342-5978

NAPA has shouldered lugnuts for mag wheels. Easy to find. Almost remember the part number but not quite. Any Les Schwab's will have them. If you need to bigger shank kind, try the local pull and save and rob them from a Nissan/Datsun with mag rims.

There are other versions that need even bigger shims, in which case you have a machined seat separate from the wheel and then the mag lug on top of that.