My new 620

bluemeanie

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Give me a chance here. I'm still at work. I'll get pics tonight when i get it installed. Should have the pistons in and oil pan bolted up tonight. Wish I could find a square port head to throw on that isnt 300 bucks before i bolt this round port head on. Oh well it will work. My poor little parts tank hasnt worked this hard in a long time.

Ok well i got my new piston put on the old rod. Not sure how many people have taken pistons off the rods here, but they are very tight press fit. Kiznook showed up just in time to watch me beat it with a hammer and use my vise like a press, but it wasnt happenin. I had to run over to my brothers and use his press. In the end it worked great and all pistons and crank are installed. I just need to clean up my new head and throw it on. Its getting there. I'll take some pics tonight.

I've wanted an Unimog for a while, but they're hard to come by here... I'm considering getting one imported from Germany sometime in the next few years, but that'll probably be after I get my Dat finished and pick up a little motorbike...

But, as far as the build goes... wow, it looks great. I wanted to rebuild an engine myself, but after reading about all the stuff I figured it was just too complicated... I didn't realize it was actually that easy. I think I may have to just go ahead and do it myself...

I'm assuming the L16 and L20B are pretty damn similar, save for measurements... However, from what I know, the L20B had emissions controls... are these fairly easy to remove/bypass, or do they make a big difference rebuilding an engine?

I found out what happened to the first engine. It was right in front of us all along.

P1020710.jpg

On a different note here are a few pics of the little progress I made tonight. Honeing looks funny in the pic, but i assure you it looks good in person. I cant bolt the head on yet. I want to take it and degrease it at least put the new valve stem seals on.

P1020709.jpg

P1020711.jpg

And one pic off topic......My buddy Tom next to my mog.

Picture001.jpg

Hahaha, I read "Guildford, Surrey..." and I immediately thought of Surrey, BC... which is just about the asshole of the GVRD (my apologies to anyone that lives there)...

That is a sexy truck too... I was actually pretty close to buying an 80's Bombardier Iltis... it's a small four-by LRV used by the army up here... essentially a rebadged VW Type 183 (not sure on the actual designation)... it's a pretty neat little truck though... it'll go through water at least two feet deep without any preparation (with only about a foot of ground clearance), and had a super low 7.XXX to 1 cross country gear... pretty fancy stuff...

http://www.iltis.ca

This is the head i'm going to use on this engine. This engine is going to just be one to get me on the road while i fix the truck up. The engine that i'm pulling is going on the engine stand and will be getting a rebuild with the peanut head that i picked up yesterday. When the time comes and the second engine is done i'll swap them out. Just rebuilding this to get it on the road. I figure the sooner I can get it driving the happier I will be and not loose interest. So far the engine is going well and should get me around fine.

After talking to Kiznook a couple of nights ago I decide to throw some new freeze plugs in the block just for peice of mind. And for 5 buck i would have shot myself if I popped a leak. So with the help of Guy we got the head broke down and installed the new valve stem seals. We found some really nasty intake valves so we left them out so I could clean them up.

P1020715.jpg

P1020713.jpg

They cleaned up well after soaking for probably 4 hrs in the nasty purple degreaser.

P1020722.jpg

The great thing about having ratsun friends is they help you out with stuff you might not have. I know my brother and I would have been straining if we didnt get to borrow this!

P1020729.jpg

It made things go so much easier and it came out very easy.

P1020730.jpg

With that done we ended up with this. I'm going to degrease it before i throw the rebuilt engine in.

P1020735.jpg

Here she is, almost done. Just need to put the thermostat housing on, oil pan, motor mounts and clutch and flywheel. She's gettin close! Thanks everyone for the help to get me here.

P1020733.jpg

it held it from hitting the ground, but not up high enough. the strap I put on cranked it back up to the firewall. Came out nice and easy. I think i'm going to pop that steering crossover bar and the engine should go in as easy as it came out. I have to go to my birthday party tonight so tomarrow i'll degrease the engine compartment and work on getting the enging ready to drop in.

We'll see about tuesday.

cant help but notice you having a bench seat in there now... i recognize that seat!!!!!! did it bolt directly in or did u have to give it some man love??? who ever owned the engine that had those nastey valves must have been a

Arco'haulic .. i run chevron.. unless im runnin out an just need enough to make it to a chevron.. but NEVER arco.. that does make me wonder what my valves look like tho.. i bet they're clean... atleast they better be!!!!!! altho my truck runs a little rich.. but what datsun doesnt???? anyways Nice job Blue! keep it up brotha...

Clean engine... seems like everyone here knows their way around an engine rebuild. And yeah, those valves are pretty hardcore... were they even sealing properly? I run only Chevron in my DD too... not sure if it makes much of a difference, but it seems to keep the engine happier than the no-name brands... could just be what I want to think though...

my truck hates when i use anything else... she hates shell.. never ran arco.. never will.. an the completely no name brands tend to run better then shell.. odd eh? 76 is ok.. she doesnt mind.. as long as its premium... at chevron i can get away with plus... sometimes regular.. i worked at a chevron.. i highly reccomend they're gas.. we had pamplets showin comparasons to other brands.. all chevron engines came out WAY cleaner then anything else

I just run regular... with the amount of driving I do I tend not to use premium. I did for the first few months, but then gas prices went up... they were at $1.30/L for regular at one point! Ignoring the exchange rate, that's $3.61 per gallon for regular...

well with my closed chamber head, advanced timing and heavy foot she really craves the premium.. i care what no one says.. I NOTICE A DIFFERENCE! also i get better gas mileage.. but if i've only got 5 bucks.. i just use plus when i put in $10-15 i use premium.. oh also my gastank is bungee corded in the bed of the truck so filling the truck causes it to flood the carb.. damn gravity.. but atleast if someone steels my gas they dont get much.. its happend MAYBE once.. either that or i just plain forgot to get some.. the P.O cut the brackets out so i cant mount the gas tank.. im thinkin of gettin a fuel cell ;)

Ok. So I got home and opened my garage up and much to my surpise my nice, rebuilt, painted up engine had turned it self into this!

P1020745.jpg

When I left for work I had this!

P1020742.jpg

I guess the motor fairy installed my engine while I was at work. (I wish it was that easy) So now I have this.

P1020743.jpg

And some of this.

P1020744.jpg

After the install I made sure everything was good to go and pulled the coil wire. I cranked it over for a while to get oil up into the head. I could not believe I was ready to give her a try. I plugged the coil in and cranked it once and it came to a idle just like that. I turned the idle up a bit and let it warm up. Water in, check. Oil topped off, check. It came up to operating temp and just sat there and idled. I'm really happy how its running so far and no leaks! Now I need to check out a exhaust leak just after the manifold at the y pipe. Someone had installed 2.5 in exhaust from the y pipe all the way back to a flowmaster, but the truck is so low that the exhaust looks like a "D" shape from being dragged and dropped over speed bumps and stuff. So we'll have to see what I can do about the leaks.