Ka-SR w/turbo or VG30 what to choose

sjg

Can i get some insight. I have got enough info on VG30 for my 510 swap. Can you lend me your knowledge on the major performance/preference differences between a KA motor or SR turbo? I beleive Ka is more economical to use and easier to find parts for. What is the major differences and experience with a SR motor?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer turbo. i have heard that sr motors are more responsive and as dependable but harder to find parts for. i am looking to build a weekend driver, something that stays in tune 20 days a month while it sits in wait for the weekend or my latest upgrade or mod.

I've driven KA's and SR's in 510's and 240sx's. The KA is a torque brute... Pulls hard, sounds wicked, responds very well to modification, cheap and easy to work on...

SR's are smooth, pull hard mid-to-high through the revs, feel a LITTLE sluggish lower in the powerband, they're expensive due to the hype, parts are easy to get, but are expensive.

I have zero experience with VG30's, so I won't speak on them.

I agree with wag and just the the vg would be the same as the ka just more so in just about every category.

Isn't this the 3rd thread on this general topic too btw? Thread on vg 510's, wtb vg 510's, weather to choose vg etc.... Just stop posting all the same ideas and read. Everything you could ever want to know has been done MANY times, the info is right there for you.

To me driving a KA feels like a truck motor and a SR feels like a car motor. Really!

The SR is smooth with a linear power band. The KA has good low end torque but dies at the high RPMs. Now I'm just talking about stock units. When it comes to modded any engine they are all bad ass IMO :D

I will let you know how a VG30ET feels in a dime in a few months :D

If on budget I would go KA motor but is possible get the DOHC over Sohc cam. SR motors are tough and can take a lot and respond well to mods. I like the SR non turbo but that is more of my personal feeling. issues is SR parts are not easy to get stateside. Turbo is great but only for those that have a bit more of a budget to afford turbo accessories. A 510 with any of these motors would be lots of fun. If you would like another choice consider the S2000 motor as lots of support and good power and very flexible motor.

Edited by benzo

Thaks Benzo. that is info i am looking for. i didnt realize that Ka motors came single or double cam and i know nothing about SR motors. I want to keep the car in tune. If i dont make a move on a VG30 car i am looking at i will get a KA swap and add turbo. Appreciate it.

no worries. I would say on the budget side you can get a dohc swap and if you do it right should be reliable and fun on the street. start there and then move onto other things like turbo or Nitrous. KA's are cool as you can get parts here and if you ever get stuck you can get parts a regular parts store. believe me a stock motor with minor mods like intake and header can yield about 140-150 whp and almost that much in usable torque. that much in a light car you will have fun.

turbo manis you would have to make custom ones cause stock one s for the single cam will put the turbo right where the steering box is

You can always relocate the turbo outlet on a stock manifold. The stock outlet then becomes a great place to mount an external wastegate.

20711340003large.jpg