New here with a 1972 Pickup

It's mine! :D It's a 1972 Datsun and we only paid $200 for it. Also what model is the truck? Plans for it at the moment are a low static drop and from there we will see. Any tips or information is greatly appreciated. Here are some pics!

datsun.jpg

eightball.jpg

frontagain.jpg

front.jpg

gagues.jpg

interior.jpg

rear.jpg

securedownload.jpg

speedometer.jpg

throughwindow.jpg

trucky.jpg

Just one spot of rust on the door!

Edited by drosswife
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

COOL!!! Welcome to Ratsun!:cool:

What you got is a 521 pickup. Got one myself and I LOOOOVE IT!!

Looks like it got a few years of dirt on it. No biggy, she will buff right out.

Lots of info and good people here. We like pics and you might wanna finish filling out yer info. Where you at??

You own a PL 521..has the original outside mirror & hood emblem. Id polish the rims, buff out the paint & roll it :cool: Lots of guys here that'll help you get it running. Keep it too & dont give up on it.

I wasn't planning on it! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it! I actually already have paint for it, my friend gave it to us. It's Toyota Speedway Blue.

Nice truck and Welcome to Ratsun. Ihad a 70 521 that was red and looked similar when I bought it. I took it took the car wash and blasted it from all angles and then took it home and scrubbed it with comet cleanser, rinsed it well hand buffed and waxed it and it looked great! Who cares if you waxed a littled surface rust when you are ready to paint the wax cleans off. I suggest body & paint after you get it running.

Enjoy it, it is a beautiful truck!!!

Nice save. With the exception of the left door, the body looks straight. The very first thing i'd do with this 521 is upgrade the brakes. Front discs and a dual brake master cylinder. Rear discs also if its in the budget/scope of the project. Safety first!

Is this going to be a project or a driver (or both?)

-Brian

Nice save. With the exception of the left door, the body looks straight. The very first thing i'd do with this 521 is upgrade the brakes. Front discs and a dual brake master cylinder. Rear discs also if its in the budget/scope of the project. Safety first!

Is this going to be a project or a driver (or both?)

-Brian

Actually a little bit of both. I am wanting it to be a project, but since Daniel and I have two trucks it's going to be push and shove to who gets parts when lol. I don't think I could help but drive it it's too sexy to keep sitting! I will defiantly look into the thing with the brakes and also if you hear of anyone with a left door for my truck let me know that is one thing that is getting replaced for sure. I'm a perfectionist!

I'd contact Mike Klotz. He sells a front disc conversion for the 521 that is simple and affective. Quite a few trucks on this site are rolling on his work. Its also bolt on; no fab involved. Then grab a early Z-car dual master. The 15/16" is popular. You'll also need a proportioning valve from the same car (i think.) Next, get new slave cylinders and shoes for the back. May also need to overhaul the adjusters as they tend to sieze if not used.

Sorry, don't know anyone close enough to recommend body skins. I got a door, but shipping would kill it. Good luck though. Keep us posted.

-Brian

Groovy! You should shoot Mklotz70 a thanks as he does it for the love of the Dat!

Also you will want to spend alot of time in this thread. Many questions will be answered!

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=2129

Sweet, thanks. Another question I have is; has anyone done a coilover swap on a 521, thats something we are really starting to consider to do.

Nice 521. It looks about like mine did when I got it except mine was outside for 2 years. I really like the saddle sitting on the roof, mine didn't come with that. Must be some wierd factory option. I agree with the guys, rub it out and roll it. Congrats and welcome to Ratsun. This site has more Datsun info than Datsun itself.

Sweet, thanks. Another question I have is; has anyone done a coilover swap on a 521, thats something we are really starting to consider to do.

I am, but my build is a little different........

-Brian