ok 510 wont start?

danfiveten

Ok guys i pulled out my cluster to do the led's. I was installing my speedo and shit, still no tach yet back in and tried to start the car...is turning over but seems like no spark? I have a kill switch...flipped it a few times tried starting nothing. Pulled everything back out, i have no wires that i changed...i just spliced into the lighting wires. I dont know if i flooded her like extremley bad but i dont smell any gas. I havent pulled a dash apart since i was a kid with my dad, will the car not start with the tach out? but i even reinstalled the tach and still no turning over. Just looking for suggestions. It figures when i do the wiring the right way instead of the half ass way i used to do it as a kid is when i have the problems.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When the engine cranks over but won't fire up, it's generally either fuel or electrical. and generally it's electrical.

however, you want to verify that. do you own a timing light? throw it on each plug wire and see if any juice is flowing through the plug wires. if not, check your connection at the coil.

the tach is wired to the coil - maybe you disconnected something there?

Ya i rehooked up the entire tach and i still couldnt get her to turn over. I havent disconected any wires. I did extend 2 of the tach wires because they were really far back. WOndering if that could have something to do with it? I had a wire tester but when i pulled it out of my toolbox its missing its freaking bulb >.> sigh. I do one nice thing for her and now shes pissed at me lol.

also fill in your profile maybe some is local and could give you a hand

make a test light out of a flashlite bulb and some wire lol

with out that it will be hard for you to check power when you get it fixed check under the hood at your coil for power with the key or switch on and check your switch to make sure it working right

Well worst case i can ask my dad, he installed the kill switch and tach. I just hate asking him because its something id like to do myself :-/. Im just going to let her sit overnight and see if i can get her to start in the morning just in case i really flooded her ? If not tommrow im picking up a electrical test light.. And i dont have a regular bulb flashlight around, just a big led one :-/

...is turning over but seems like no spark? ad of the half ass way i used to do it as a kid is when i have the problems.

Ya i rehooked up the entire tach and i still couldnt get her to turn over.

So it is or isn't turning over?

Put an old plug in one of the plug wires and lay on the grounded valve cover, crank it over, if it will and look for spark.

Yes there is spark.... probably flooded or out of gas.

No spark... some tachs are inductive and are wired in line with the distributor. If you un-wired the tach then you failed to correctly wire it back up. Other tachs just need a signal from the distributor wire so the wire can be left on or off and it has no effect. That is unless it touches a ground.

Check your wiring that you did.

Thanks mike, thats what i thought it was. My tach is the 4 wire, so its the inductive tach. I have to get a wire tester tommrow. But i must not of hooked up one of the wires i extended correctly. Tommrow morning going to pick up a cheap tester, i got some boxes i got to ship as well, and i should get my unemployment check tommrow to pay for the stuff :) lol. Just fun times, thanks for the help guys. If its not this then i may be posting again tommrow night.

lets get more for here

what are you running for ignition?

As for the staement I splice in to the lighting wires??? For what?

go by this drawing

blk whit wire will have power when key on.

Blk blu is 12volt only in START position. if these 2 wires work the car will have spark. unless the points or condensor is not working. or nothing else changed(replace whole distributor with soem thing else. If you have done other things let us know . If you have a eleltronic distributor also tell us.

if you get spark then ck in the carb and see if gas is shooting in when you cycle the gas. The accell pump should squirt gas in the main barrel.

go to olddatsuns.com the "620 tech section" for info

PS dont be splicing wires if you dont have to. the lights are like the cig lighter circut with 12volt all the time. the ground is switchable that completest the circut... If you hook up a Tack to 12v constant and it will ground internally and thus slowly drain the battery

ballast510_thumb.jpg

Started fine this morning after i found the problem. THe ground wire had a break in it somewhre, about halfw ay through the wire the ground was lost, so i ran a new wire from my kill switch and she started right up. Thank god lol.