L16 Manifold bolts

pharouh

Ok I know there's a trick to this because I've dome it before.

On the L16,how do I get the lower back intake manifold bolt out? I can get a 12mm combination wrench on it,but I can't get any leverage. It's really tight ,too. There's no room for a rachet with and extension. Do I need an universal joint on my rachet?

manifold.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your best friend for those is a universal-joint 12mm shallow socket. You can do it with a regular universal and a shallow socket, but the added length doesn't help. I bought a 12mm u-joint socket specifically for those.

So true...I bought one at Sears specifically for that bolt on my L20B, and you know what? Best $8 I ever spent, even if I use it once every 5 years. It eliminated hours of frustration and aggravation. Kind of one of those "whats your time worth to you" sort of deals. The fact that it is a "shallow socket" makes it work even better.

In other words...BUY IT! :D

OK I went to O'Richboy's and got a 3/8" universal. they didn't have a shallow 12mm (of course).

But it worked! Just barely. Even after I got the manifold off,it still didn't turn very well. Now for the exhaust..Already snapped 2 studs.

Thanks for your help guys!

intake_off.jpg

OK I went to O'Richboy's and got a 3/8" universal. they didn't have a shallow 12mm (of course).

But it worked! Just barely. Even after I got the manifold off,it still didn't turn very well. Now for the exhaust..Already snapped 2 studs.

Thanks for your help guys!

intake_off.jpg

soak the piss outta those busted studs with PB blaster. Should loosen em up and make for easy removal and replacement. I would first try putting two nuts on there after it has soaked, tighten them together, then use the inside one to unscrew it. i used vise grips on mine as a last resort. Got lucky and they came out

I know what you mean. I used liquid wrench days before I started on them. Tapped them with a hammer-everything. The one at the back snapped at first pull,and I didn't pull that hard. I've heard about using 2 nuts to get a stud out. Should be worth a try.

he he- he said 2 nuts :lol:

Thanks

http://www.fourthstreetdesign.com