screw toshiba!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was the same way for a LONNNG time. but here is a handy visual comparison.

MacPro-inside-big-04.jpg

If your home built PC's look this good run EVERY operating system on the market with out hacking the computer, and have no BS blue LED's installed by default in the case. Id go your route too. The fact of the matter is most* home built PC's look like this.

before.jpg

Unless you spend premium on wires, solder, spend A LOT of time you're going to have an ugly machine that is damn near impossible to clean out when you need to get in and add say, a new card, drive, anything.

the hardware on the current top end Mac Pro will trump any home built PC and even cost LESS to get a comparable system. When building the PC to compete with a mac on cinebench or video encoding. thats a fact. And if you can't game in OS X, install the OS you want to game on, put the card you want in and be good to go.

As for the downloading software. Find a nice private tracker. Google bit torrent. Uninstall limewire, and get firefox. even on windows I never use AV software or any sort of malware spyware software. Browse smart and you're safe.

basically comes down to personal preference, budget, if you can stomach using an ugly machine, or "don giv nah darn fuc bout damn puter inerards as long as it plays muh skynard fuckit.. merica" then the argument is moot. But if you're really trying to get a definitive answer to what hardware is better. Mac's > ANY PC MANUFACTURE (even the DIY guy)

But here is the problem with that

Some people do have cases with windows in them so you can see inside. Big deal if you can or cant? I mean really. If you want visual eye candy sure. Get the mac, so when you pull the side off you can get off to how cool it looks. Mine is a bit of a mess really, but i didnt buy it to look at it. I bought it for functionality. It does everything i need it to. So far, its working great despite the wires not being fancied up and over priced. And btw, even with the way its put together. I can still get in there easy enough to replace a card, or add more drives. Hell i have hard drives in there now.

Look at the mac case, you do realize you have to take stuff apart to get in there also right? Covering up those wires and bull shit means pulling more stuff off/out just to get to it. To me it just looks like a new car with tons of plastic on the engine to cover up the ugly.

If i had a spare 1500 i might get a mac, they are cool. Dont get me wrong, im not dissing a mac. But if i had 1500 dollars to blow on a mac, i think i would spend it on my datsun first :D

And yeah, you can benchmark all you want. Big whoop. So what if i get 1 extra frame rate? Or the mac can read off a hard drive .5 seconds faster. At half the price I think its money well spent. you can argue bench marks all day long, or video processing. But i don't do any of that so its not applicable to me. Nor 95 or so % of the people who use computers/macs. If you really want to spend double the money so you can process a video a minute faster than on something else, by all means go for it.

Edited by h2theizzo
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If i had a spare 1500 i might get a mac, they are cool. Dont get me wrong, im not dissing a mac. But if i had 1500 dollars to blow on a mac, i think i would spend it on my datsun first :D

you'd only need a spare, 700-900 dollars :P but its ok you can exaggerate. those Microsoft ad's where they went to best buy for the "if you can find it you can buy it" campaign worked on you. (a computer costs a chunk of change regardless)

you'd only need a spare, 700-900 dollars :P but its ok you can exaggerate. those Microsoft ad's where they went to best buy for the "if you can find it you can buy it" campaign worked on you. (a computer costs a chunk of change regardless)

sorry, i didnt mean to exaggerate :lol: I haven't checked the price on a mac in a while. my old work sold them, maybe they just were shitty prices my company was selling them at! hahaha

I was able to use VMWare on a windows machine, and installed i think leopard?? I cant remember what ver it was now. I was amazed. mac OS really is the shit.

**Edit

My first pc had dos 3.3 on it. I read a 600 page book on it, every command, batch scripts etc. That was fun times too. Never though i would be a windows junky. two of my other pcs run ubuntu. most people talk shit about ubuntu, but its easy to use and debian based. Really like Debian based OS's

Edited by h2theizzo

So wait.. you bought a laptop with the TRIAL VERSION of MICROSOFT office, then you get mad at the manufacturer of the laptop when the trial runs out? Maybe there is a reason the Toshiba was cheaper than the laptop next to it at the store that had the full version? Software is expensive, and if you don't have it but need it it should be factored in to the price you are willing to pay. I don't work for Toshiba or anything, but I do work in IT, and so far I have had no problems wit them. I have had some issues with Dell, and for my money its HP all the way.

-Beau

I always build my own computer because of the cost. I have fixed and built both many times. One friend owns a repair shop I help him out and listen to him on this topic all the time. I have another friend that works at the genius bar and used to be on the geek squad crap. All of our opinions seem to end up at the same place.

For out of the box performance I think mac is cool but there really are some down sides. They always cost more because they are trend taxed. Not having many manufactures competing on parts is a bad thing. When ever something breaks and you have to replace it god help you if you have to go through mac and get raped, which is often the case. Mac also never works properly with anything not from them be it hardware or software.

Really just not feeling mac because of those downsides. Can build a pc for half the price with the same or better specs and majority of software/hardware is built for pc. The level of customization, options, support esp 3rd party just can't be touched by mac. Due to that I stick with pc.

What I dislike the most about mac has little to do with their actual computers so much as their marketing. I hate how its portrayed to be cool or trendy or in the know because you own a mac. In my experience the opposite is true, mac is for people that need their hand held on shit. Thats not a dig against anyone here or w/e that just what I see most often.

Limewire or torrent or w/e doesn't make a dif if you have the right protection. I use everything and anything to get songs, movies, full programs etc... I don't and haven't paid for music or software since I was like 16 years old. NEVER have I had a virus, just run the proper protection and all will be well. Limewire is good for individual songs you want at the moment and torrents are good for everything else. There are def safer options then torrents, some have been mentioned but none can match the speed of a good torrent.

Edited by 72240z
For out of the box performance I think mac is cool but there really are some down sides. They always cost more because they are trend taxed. Not having many manufactures competing on parts is a bad thing. When ever something breaks and you have to replace it god help you if you have to go through mac and get raped, which is often the case. Mac also never works properly with anything not from them be it hardware or software

most of your other opinions are ossum, you're the trend hating bad ass I love, it works for you. If lots of people like it its probably wrong.

RED

Thats just a sweeping statement that I'd love to see some numbers on. Are you talking about some proprietary IDE dialysis machine that runs on windows NT? almost EVERY music device will run on a mac. (or boot over to the OS that does)

LIME

ANY time I have ever had to take ANY of my mac's in for repairs its a 10 minute trip. Make an appointment drop it off, if I need a computer while its in the shop they let me "buy" one and return it for a100% refund when mine is finished. I have done this 3 times in the last 5 years. They have physical stores too. so its EVEN EASIER than dealing with Dell (india) or Compaq(india)

YELLOW

Trend tax.... :blink: seriously... they are comparable to any pc in the same spec range. the lap top line runs 899-1699 last time I checked their competition was in the same price range for similar(NOT THE SAME)

but hey Im biased as all hell. My internal survey I run anytime I buy something is, 1) how long till I have to buy one of these again, 2) does it perform better than the XXXX around it, 3) was it designed well

at no point does the cost of an item ever enter my mind. Spend more up front and you don't have to buy it again.

you should have works on there as a back up program i personally like it better then word but thats just me as for a mac you guys do realize that internally there the same now right just different O.S.

man Im sorry to keep posting in this thread!!! LOL!

its not bonvo. thats like saying, "You know honda and nissan are the same inside right? just different hood badges."

there are so many factors involved that make them(them apple vs PC manufactures that create windows based consumer computers or diy built computers that have an indeterminable part list and design code)

Im a really big tech geek, so I am drawn to electronic conversations like a moth to a solar flare.

Is that gay quote color quoting a mac option? :lol:

I could give a shit what you want to see "numbers on" or whatever. Thats my personal experience and my friends professional experience, once of which works for macs repair team. Don't care if you agree, your opinion and experience is far less then theirs.......

...and really if you don't EVER consider the price your either rich or dumb.

Edit, I consider myself a tech geek too and I'm really not trying to piss in your cereal. If you like mac and are happy with it power to you. I just don't care to argue the subject. Mac vs pc is right up there with religion and politics, there will never be a winning side. I only wanted to voice my opinion and I did.

Edited by 72240z
man Im sorry to keep posting in this thread!!! LOL!

its not bonvo. thats like saying, "You know honda and nissan are the same inside right? just different hood badges."

there are so many factors involved that make them(them apple vs PC manufactures that create windows based consumer computers or diy built computers that have an indeterminable part list and design code)

Im a really big tech geek, so I am drawn to electronic conversations like a moth to a solar flare.

Orly?

Do you remember sonys mini disc recorder/player. It came out around 4-5 years ago. I thought that thing was the coolest shit ever. You could hook it up to your pc, load 20-40 songs on a little mini disc. It was re-recordable up to 1million times (max of course). I bought 100 or so discs for it. Used it twice and its been in a box since. Best 200 dollars i ever spent :lol:

Is that gay quote color quoting a mac option? :lol:

I could give a shit what you want to see "numbers on" or whatever. Thats my personal experience and my friends professional experience, once of which works for macs repair team. Don't care if you agree, your opinion and experience is far less then theirs.......

...and really if you don't EVER consider the price your either rich or dumb.

no the rules say not to quote train or something to that extent, the dude abides. no ur gay. And since we're just hurling opinions around, I know more than ur frinds combined cuz I said so rofl, gay. huurrrr hurrr

and Im done with this conversation. Numbers dont lie look em up if you want to.

i only bought a mac because its white, and I am racist. :lol:

Then they cam out with black macbooks. Now they are all black and silver.

its a conspiracy.

steve jobs and bill gates are both in on it. i think that i will go the the bay and get on a ship sail over to Sweden.

090219piratebay.jpg

what is computer specs? I though everyone bought them based on colour or the number of the cute flashy lights that sometimes change colour?

lol, we tried playing a couple AVI movies on my sisters new mac, we ended up have to download some BS converter and it still wouldnt work, so we said fuck it and played it on the other pc.

Are we seriously arguing this crap? its like debating what kind of toilet paper you use.

I'm a PC guy and have been since I bought my first computer.

I've used MACs briefly and since I'd being using a Windows emulator with it most of the time I'd be using a MAC, I realize that a MAC is not for me.

I've assembled a couple of my own PCs, and am going to be assembling another one hopefully this weekend if I can get the HDD I need. PCs run fine for me, and I know that if I had a MAC, I'd experiance the same problems, that's just the way it is. I've done the same thing with other products, bought the more expensive "better" brand and experianced the same problems. It's all just electronics, and all electronics fail at some point.

MACs look nice, but I like my PCs. :)

I don't understand the idea of getting pissed off at the manufacturer of the Laptop when the trial version of software ends. Go buy a Dell, with trial versions, then boycott them when the trial versions of the software runs out, rince and repeat with Lenovo, HP, etc, etc.