Trevor's 1973 Datsun 620

TrevDaddy

nice 620, im new on here to so iv been looking up on lots of the same stuff your asking about, and theres tons of info on here for that engine swaps, iv been told that you can do a sr20 swap, but its more then just a bit of work, fire wall cuting, moving radiator to the bed, for a little less cash and only a little less power but alot more then what you got now you can do a rb25swap, and you would have fule injection

talk to BEEBANI he make disk brake kits and sells on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-320-520-521-620-disc-brake-caliper-bracket_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c51406449QQitemZ190341735497QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

as far as window i got a brand new one put in for under $150 at a auto shop.

and the 5 lug thing, what iv seen is just geting a machine shop to re drill or useing a converter plate http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RARE-RIMS-ADAPTERS-6-TO-5-LUG-CHEVY-EXPRESS-96-07_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem45ee713a30QQitemZ300353141296QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

but if you look there are alot of cool 6 lug rims out there, you do have to surch a bit, not sure what look your into.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.:cool: This place is legit. Everyone here is very helpful and actually pays attention to what other people have to say. I'm also on a Mazda3 forum for my D.D. and those people don't give a crap about anybody but themselves.

Thanks for the link to the bumper, the disk brake conv., and the hints for 5 Lugs. I am really trying to save the cash for a full overhaul in the coming summer. I'm talking KA24 (because of ease of install, fuel economy, and power potential) 5 spd swap, 240SX rear end, new rims/tires, better drop, and bodywork/new windshield. Sheeeiiiit, If I can squeeze it in, some BMW HID's.

I didn't get to attack my speedometer problem today, but it will happen after the weekend. Hey I'll go take some pictures now...

Here are some newer pics, after I leveled out the front torsion bars. Next to my 6 is my 3 :D. Also some interior and engine bay as requested...

IMG_0615.jpg?t=1255747626

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg?t=1255747869

Oh and please, don't hate on the rag holding my coil, the ghetto master cyl, or the OJ gloves in my compartment.

Here are some newer pics, after I leveled out the front torsion bars. Next to my 6 is my 3 :D. Also some interior and engine bay as requested...

IMG_0615.jpg?t=1255747626

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg?t=1255747869

Oh and please, don't hate on the rag holding my coil, the ghetto master cyl, or the OJ gloves in my compartment.

The only thing that I can hate on is , honestly you need to put the correct fuel filter on it . The way that it is now with the fuel line hanging over the factory fuel filter clamp it will rub through your fuel line . Oh and I also can hate on the fact that I am not the proud owner of that gorgeous 620 :lol:

Sadness. I warmed her up tonight, before going out but halfway up the hill the engine went nuts. WOT! I pulled over, looked at the throttle cable. It was fine and the pedal was doing its job too. It seemed like the cable was not pulling out far enough, but that wouldn't cause WOT would it? I can only think that something seized up in the carb. We wheeled her down the street, thankfully down hill and parked her.

Should I take off the carb and inspect it? I'm not sure about doing this, because some of the screws look damaged. I can get a decent deal on a brand new hitachi, but I want to save my money for a swap. Maybe a rebuild is in order, $25 kit could fix the problem. Also my hazard switch stopped working too. Bad night for tha dats.

:lol:

Well obviously everyone hates my pruple people eater idea. Oh well...

As for my WOT problem: Took off the carb was happy to see new gaskets, but there was a piece of my rubber air intake flange stuck in one of the throttle plates. I hope that's the only bit that got through. I'm buying a K&N intake filter today. Anyone know where to get one?

The air cleaner is doing it's job, but the rubber bushing that sits around the top of the carb is all chipped up and broken. It was the cause of my WOT. I really don't think I need a new carb, I could swing a new K&N though. I don't think I can just buy the rubber part, beside its a btch to get back in.

Trevor how low are you going to drop it ? Or is it sitting where you want it ? I finished slamming the crap out of mine today ... I just want it as low as I can get it as cheap as I can .. Because I am body dropping it and bagging it in the future , I still got to finish lowering the front ......

9sc7mh.jpg

I want to get some 15's/16's and nice tires, then maybe lower it 3 more inches. comfortable and functional. I'll wait for a long time before I get bags.

Tomorrow is supposed to be nice. My goal is to get her running by noon, fingers crossed. I need to make the dash light up too.

The carb runs fine after a little tuning, cleaned up the air cleaner flange and installed a new fuel filter. The old one had some black specks in it. New fuel hoses too, the last ones were a bit chewed up.

Edited by TrevDaddy

Hey guys, I've been trying to save money to do a KA24 swap into my 620. Well I know that one out of a hardbody would be the best bet, but I can't find one anywhere. Anyway, I found this ad on craigslist:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/1404087789.html

I know it's out of a 240SX, but can I just switch the pans and oil pickup? Also if the transmission is a manual I think his price is pretty fair. I know that there will be more parts needed, but this is all I can find.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, so I'm officially shopping for KA24DE swap components. Tonight I secured a automatic wiring harness and ECU from an old 240. Looks to be in great shape, no broken wires, and the ECU looks almost new. Mike told me to get the automatic because of the lack of rev limiter. My question is...

What do I do for the trans? Will a 280zx 5spd work? How about the D21 5spd? Also will the harness work for any KA, or do I have to go the 240 route and swap the pan and pickup?

• 5 months later...

March 31st 2010. Possibly one of the worst days of my life. It all started when I went to buy a tub of Utz's Cheese Balls for my supervisor's last day at my place of employment. This is the man who hired me, very friendly, funny man with a lot of character. He taught me so much in the first few weeks of my new job. On his last day we were supposed to have a big lunch potluck style. Last time I brought the big tub, everyone thought it was hilarious and tasty. So repeat right?

I was on my way to work and I had the tub sitting on the floor of the truck. Well it was rolling around pissing me off. In a complete act of stupidity I took my eyes off the road and bent down to straiten up the nuisance. I accidentally pulled on the steering wheel and before I knew it I was over the curb and into a telephone pole. I did not hurt myself, as I was only going about 12 mph, nor did I hit another car. Hell, the pole was still straight as hell with just a few chips out of it. I got out, assessed the damage, then began freaking out like a mother who had just lost her baby. The cops showed up, and thought I was "freaking out". NO SHIT YOU STUPID PIG! DO YOU KNOW THAT THIS IS A CLASSIC? I managed to only cut my knee up a little and hit my nose on the steering wheel slightly.

Now I'm in a tricky situation. I was saving up to slowly build the L20 I had acquired a few months ago, but now I don't really know what it will take to revive my child. I'm going to Southern Illinois University Carbondale in the fall, and as I won't have a job for a while, I need to save the money I'll get this summer to live off of for a while. Another problem is the lack of Datsun donors in my area. I do have one junkyard lead, but it's a long shot. There is a kid named Kyle on here parting out a 74', and he's only a hour or so away, but I don't know if I should start grabbing parts from him or just save up and buy a replacement cab.

After I gathered myself together, I realized the damage is bad, but not irreversible. The frame is fine, radiator is busted, but that was being replaced anyway. As for the suspension, I was planning on upgrading to 5Lug, LCA's, and disc brakes up front eventually so this is just an excuse to do it earlier on. The core support is going to need a lot of work, and the fender well was punched in by the wheel on impact. What will it take to save her? I'll see what you guys have to say, finally the pictures:

001.jpg?t=1270519040

002.jpg?t=1270519082

003.jpg?t=1270519110

004.jpg?t=1270519151

005.jpg?t=1270519196

Since my parents and I don't want to stare at my big paperweight all summer long, we are going to get it towed to an empty space at my dad's office. It will sit there under a cover until I have the space, time, money, and willpower to fix her. This may be years, but hey any Datsun is worth saving. If this amount of damage came from 12mph, I would be dead if the same thing happened at 40. Makes me grateful to know that...