Help? Thinking of selling my 710 wagon? Price?

SO, i bought this last year, and am looking for another project that's more up my alley. I'm trying to figure out what i could get for it. I was hoping $3500 or so. What do you think?

Good: It has a s13 240sx KA24DE in it, with 5 speed. Stock rear end. This thing moves! Has a sidepipe (not visible in these old pics) that's obscenely loud too. Paint looks good from 10 feet (re-spray). All original body work. VERY STRAIGHT. Interior is pretty clean, minus the small rips in driver seat.

The car had about 139K on it before the swap. The speedo doesn't work but i've put another 5-6 k on it since then (daily driver).

The bad: No heat or a/c. Shifter was moved back, needs new shift boot and old location covered. Needs new seals around the doors/windows. Missing rear market lens and 710 logo on passenger side.. Temp gauge doesn't work right now (i have the sender, threaded for the Ka block, but not installed yet), neither does speedo. A couple small rust bubbles by the quarter windows.

I'll include some Honda SI civic SI seats, and maybe some 280zx struts/brakes if the price is right. I'm just feeling it out right now, i'll get better pics soon.

IMGP5053.jpg

IMGP5054.jpg

IMGP5055.jpg

IMGP5056.jpg

IMGP5059.jpg

IMGP5063.jpg

IMGP5064.jpg

IMGP50652.jpg

IMGP5066.jpg

IMGP5067.jpg

IMGP50682.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Foxy car man.. I'd have a tough time only asking $3.5k for it, but that's just me.. The 710s are rare enough, not to mention a wagon, and in as good of shape as this one is. And you have a KA in it too? Yeah, $3500 seems like a bit of a gift, as far as I'm concerned..

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I paid $600 for my 74 wagon with an almost perfect interior but still has the stock L18. Needs paint since its faded a bit but I got a good deal then. I tried selling mine along with a bunch of extra parts for 2 grand with no interest but people in the Northwest must like them more.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I've got this 710 wagon thats been the daily driver (without heat! brrr) for almost a year now. It needs a couple things, but it's in pretty damn good condition and has a KA24de in it which makes it fun enough.

However, i'm torn between selling it, and putting in an sr20det. With the SR would come a 8.8 rear end, bigger sway bars, camber plates, 280zx brakes, coilovers, watts link in the rear, etc.

If i sold it, i'd be looking at using it as a down payment and getting into porsche 928 s4, C5 vette zo6, e30 or 346 m3.

Here's an old post with some pics of the car.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?16034-Help-Thinking-of-selling-my-710-wagon-Price

What do you guys think? If i did all this work to the 710, how much would the value increase?

Edited by rustrocket

wow.

A word of warning, the cars you are looking at will consume the value of the 710 in service costs before you know what happened...

The mods you are looking at doing can be done for less than the cost of running any of these cars for a year.

Don't think I know what I'm talking about? I've been into Datsuns for 30+ years, I also run a 944 turbo and track it. I have a friend with a C5 Z06 and another close friend has run an M5 for over 10 years, so I know something about the operating costs of these cars .

Look into the price of parts and the labor rate/book time to service them. if you do all your own service that helps, but a 928/C5 corvette clutch job is still more $$ than the whole value of that 710, a set GOOD tires for any of there cars is over $1,000.00.

As for the value of the 710, it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

In the long run, if you dont use it as a DD the 928 has the best potential for holding its value, with the bad economy 928 prices are down so you can buy a good example and it you keep it up, it has the potential to go up in value.

The other cars are still on the decline as far as resale value goes.

Depending on what needs service they can be inexpensive to run for a few years, but then kill you.

If you decide to take the plunge, then the driving experiance is night and day.

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap... (Porsche, BMW, Etc.)

Watch for Electrical problems on the 928 as they are VERY complex.

Buy the newest, best example you can afford and then enjoy, because they a lots of fun to drive.

John

Edited by greybeard

I think this post could have been added to the bottom of "Help? Thinking of selling my 710 wagon? Price? " You must have bought it with the KA in it or you would have fixed the heater by now. Fix the damn thing, Datsuns are easy and cheap to fix and maintain.

I think this post could have been added to the bottom of "Help? Thinking of selling my 710 wagon? Price? " You must have bought it with the KA in it or you would have fixed the heater by now. Fix the damn thing, Datsuns are easy and cheap to fix and maintain.

ok , Second datzenmike on the fixing/cheap/easy to work on part , and 100% agree with GreyBeard. You really want something right now you can work on everything with a screwdriver ( datsuns , not really but the concept ! ) , and again basically everything GreyBeard said. Fix it or do the conversion NOT THE OTHER WAY TOWARDS THE OTHERS ! Either way the depreciation/cost/driveability/rarity is much better with cheaper cars in the U.S right now like your datsun with NO PAYMENTS , and you REALLY DONT WANT SOMETHING WITH PAYMENTS SERIOUSLY IT GETS OLD !!! To give you an idea , brother worked for a dealer that raced his porsche 911 turbo , blew up CV-Joint , guess how much to replace ? ( $730.00 ) quoted cost ! Porsches have to have engines pulled on some models TO CHANGE OIL/SPARK PLUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF ??? Cool Cars , Wrong Price for me

Fair enough.

To my credit, i'm familliar with the maintenance on a 928, ive owned one before. Besides issues with the ignition tumbler, one of the most reliable cars i've ever owned. It sounded like sex too.

But the old saying rings true..."you don't buy a budget porsche...you budget FOR a porsche" or something like that.

I dont mind getting my hands dirty either, i recently swapped engines for my sister in her 2002 VR6 jetta (which was enough to make me never want to touch another german car for a long time :blink: )

A friend actually did the ka swap for me...he owed me some money and had plenty of spare time. There were enough heater fittings that were rotted or corroded that the heater issue couldn't be resolved at the time and it just kinda stayed that way. It wasn't too much of an issue until the temperatures recently dropped to the 30's (that's cold for people here in california, especially when it's blowing through the nooks and crannies in your datsun on the freeway at 4 am).

I can see maybe getting a 2 door 510 but you already have a 4 door with lots of carrying capacity in back, that looks smokin' hot, has a KA24DE and a 5 spd. At the best this is a sideways move so quit while ahead, or you'll end up with an unfinished project 510 and someone else will be driving around in yours.

edit: Let me say also good luck with the sale you should go for what you want. If I had the money I would buy it in a blink. It would be your loss. :lol:

Edited by datzenmike
Fair enough. I'd still like to get as close to $3500 as possible, but it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

I'm on the hunt for a clean 4 door 510, so would entertain a trade for that.

( I paid $1,700 for a really clean 73' Z this summer , and I know I can't sell it for more than probably $1,000 bucks right now even though lots of money wasted ya know ? but I love the car so what is a fellow to do ? ) Hey Good Luck , and post it for a local sale only on Ebay ? Good luck with the sale rustrocket , but if it were me I'd enjoy it !

What did you have to do to swap the engine/trans in? I have a 93 240SX and am thinking about swapping the engine and trans over to my 74 710 wagon instead of building the L18. Did you have to use the truck oil pan? What about engine mount and trans crossmember mods? Loos like the stock radiator hoses match up to.