280zx struts

damon

Has anyone ever noticed that when they installed ZX struts, that one side is closer in than the other? I noticed today that the driver side sticks out almost flush with the fender and the passenger side is recessed in. Whats up with that and how did you fix it?

Thanks,

Damon

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone ever noticed that when they installed ZX struts, that one side is closer in than the other? I noticed today that the driver side sticks out almost flush with the fender and the passenger side is recessed in. Whats up with that and how did you fix it?

Thanks,

Damon

280ZX struts will decrease your track width approx. 3/4" over the stock 510 struts. It should be even on both sides. Maybe you have a bent strut or something.

Unless something is wrong with your fender, your strut or your suspension arms, there should be no variation in width from side to side.

Check to make sure the fender isn't modified, and also make sure you have the same sized tire/wheel on both sides, too!

nah mine are matching for sure i took them off a 1 owner 1982 280zx turbo they are non bent and stock as can be idk i also have a dented in fender so it maybe a optical illision IDC i just drive it and say fuck IT

well it a Datsun you have to do that anyway:eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:

well my fenders are straight and the struts came of the same car. So idont know what is going on. Its defently not an optical illusion. Maybe I'll try and get some pictures of it.

How does it happen? Datsun owners work on their own cars and tend to be..."frugal". That means wrecking yard parts - which isn't necessarily bad. Also, the car may have been in an accident at one time and had the strut replaced as a result by a body shop. Even though it is recommended that components be replaced in pairs, insurance companies don't see it that way. By the time cars get this old and change hands several times anything can happen.

The 280ZX comes with two different types of camber in their struts different years. It is not a bending or accident thing.

My guess would be when the changeover of brakes happened. 1979-81 and 1982-83. Even though the front calipers are the same, more or less camber might have been a slight "upgrade" along with 10% stiffer springs. :D ...but still way too soft