gaaaaaaah

bonvo

my brain hurts i went out to start the car and i get nothing did a few tests it looks like the ignition module is bad i look on rockauto the lowest they have is 85 bucks all the way up to 235:eek: why is this so expensive and why now when i dont really have the money to spend on it :mad:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

would hei make it run better? as in more power? i thought that ei was good and i know hei is a step up in gm vehicles and then the question is this what are the 3 wires running to the positive side of the coil?on is obvuously the blackwith white strip that is the 12 volt hot and the b connecter on the hei module what is the third?

and the biggest thing is the hei module cheaper then the matchobx unit?

Edited by bonvo

It'll run good and you may pick up a little power. The 3 wires? No idea. Cheaper? yes...a HELL of alot cheaper...40 bucks at Oreilly's web site...but I'm sure you can probably get one cheaper...that or go to a salvage yard and rape a distributor.

The HEIs are about $15 I think or pull one for your pocket at a scraapper's. If this was originally a points dizzy car then one wire is hot with the key on and the other is for the signal to the starter. Both must be connected or you won't get spark when cranking.

(Note to readers: I should really look at the older posts before I post... :mellow:)

Bonvo, did you run some emery cloth across where the matchbox meets the distributor body? Sometimes this will cause the little bugger to not fire. Make sure you have a good ground from the body of the dizzy to the frame, one preferably with a heavier gauge wire (12 or 10 should do fine) Remember, this is your ignition we are talking about, not just some accent lights.

ill try that william

datzen mike:

my car was originally points i converted to the matchbox it only has 2 wires on each termial of the coil and it ran fine

+ side of coil"

distributor

black with white stripe 12 volts

- side of coil

distributor

tach

from what i can tell its basicly running wires from the dizzy where the matchbox was to the unit then bact to the coil where i have it now

Well a lower impedance coil will draw more power through it, but throw a higher volt spark, but how much you need right? Cars will run on as little as 8-12K volts at idle. At full throttle with good cylinder filling maybe 20K volts, Turbo or high compression 25-30K volts. A 50K volt coil won't fire the plugs at 50K volts. Nor will it instantly produce 50K volts. The voltage rises over an extremely short time but as soon as the voltage breaks down the resistance across the plug gap and begins to arc the voltage stops rising. If running 10 : 1 or a turbo then yeah more is needed. Too much power drawn through it and it will overheat and maybe fry it.