why does my 620?

sick620

i just installed a new exaust manifold on my truck. i have drove it for 2 days it has been doing fine no problems. on my way home last night i was smellind fumes entering my cab. i had to drive home with my windows all the way down. when i got home i checked for a manifold slash exaust leak but didnt see anything like that. i looked to see if i had any wires or anything melting but nothing. my truck tends to run hot like my gauge is always in between 3/4 and all the way hot. could it be that im burning oil and that was what i was breathing in? i checked my oil last night and it was a little low. it has been in the 90's here in boise idaho. any 1 have any ideas

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it could be leaking where the downpipe meets the manifold, whith your engine cold start the truck and then take your hands and put them around the connections to feel for leaks, this only works with large leaks and you only have about a minute to do it, hope this helps, you could take your truck to the muffler shop also and have them look

it could be leaking where the downpipe meets the manifold, whith your engine cold start the truck and then take your hands and put them around the connections to feel for leaks, this only works with large leaks and you only have about a minute to do it, hope this helps, you could take your truck to the muffler shop also and have them look

i just dont think it is an exaus problem i have checked and checked. and i had a muffler shop install it all anyways. what could cause a motor to over heat other than cooling system problems? cuz i think the problem is that she is overheating and burning oil

If your truck has a stock quiet exhaust you will hear a leak. Check the metal pipe coming out of the block behind the manifolds. It should have a rubber hose going to the PCV valve in the intake behind and below the carb. Pull the hose off the intake and start it up. You should hear a loud hissing noise if the PCV isn't plugged. If you put your finger over the hole you can hear the valve click shut. When working the vacuum will suck up most of the blow by and oil fumes inside the block. The hose connected to the valve cover should be connected to the air filter so the carb will collect any excess blow by when accelerating. Is your dip stick seated properly?

Its prolly the pipe coming from the block to the intake like Mike said. If you have one then get a new pcv valve and install it. As for the overheating, take your radiator out and take it to a radiator shop and have it flow tested. Also replace thermostat.

I used to work at a muffler shop for a while. If you can get your hands on a stethoscope do it or take a length of any sort of hose and put one side to your ear and move the other side along all the obvious areas while the vehicle is running. You will find a leak fast that you might not have even noticed.

for the running "hot" it may not be hot at all stick a meat thermomiter in the radiator cap when its hot and see what its actually running the temp senders can sometimes make the gadge lie if its not the original one

Its prolly the pipe coming from the block to the intake like Mike said. If you have one then get a new pcv valve and install it. As for the overheating, take your radiator out and take it to a radiator shop and have it flow tested. Also replace thermostat.

ya thats the same thing im talkin about.. mine spits oil on the header.. then the smoke goes in the cab

i have checked the pipe again and again with no leaks. im pretty sure its an over heating problem. i think i just need to degrease the engine in case the smell is grease burning off the engine....... i need to get the radiator checked. the thermostat is brand new and it works..... the engine cycles the coolant just fine.

dont old engines just burn oil just because tho. the engine was replaced in 91 and it has like 50,000 miles on it. so idk. i would think it would b fine but i dnt know. and i was driving her for 2 days with no smell and it started out of no where.

Without wanting to sound stupid.....Did you remove all the plastic/wrapping/labels off the new exhaust before fitting it?

Have you checked that its actually flowing ok (lack of performance, pinging)? Maybe the new exhaust is blocked, causing overheating?

Just Ideas.....:)

so i deep cleaned the shit out of my engine. scrubbed every inch of it. and the smells are WAY better. it does smell a little bit but it no longer smokes you out. i can live with it how it is now. and i am 100% sure there is no exaust leak. also im sure there are no oil leaks. it is possible it is burning a little but hey it is a datsun!:D