New guy, new project

FlowBench

Just registered here. Cool forum. I just picked up this '72 for $200. This will be my first datsun project. Its pretty straight and rust free except for the panels below the doors. They need to be replaced. So, as of now my plan is to either build it in to a straight axle gasser or modify the existing suspension and slam it. Either way, I plan on building a draw through turbocharged l20b backed by a 5speed for it. So, my question for you guys is, whats the best tranny to look for and what needs to be done to swap it in? Ive got a full fab shop to my disposal, so i know I can make it work, just wanna know what Im about to confront. Also are there any weak points of the frame i need to address?

dat1y.jpg

dat2m.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what is sloppy?

If its just the shift you can look at the bushings and probably replace them if bad. Depending on the shifter, i dunno which yours has. but i just put two new brass bushings on mine, and it took care of the slop. 10 dollars on ebay free shipping...

Nice score Flowbench! I say STREET LEGAL gasser. That would be cool. Looking at that '59 at Blue Lake made me think gasser. :D

Welcome to the forum. Now fill out your location in your profile so we know were you are. You can also check out the FAQ's page for a LOT of upgrade type stuff for your truck.

what is sloppy?

If its just the shift you can look at the bushings and probably replace them if bad. Depending on the shifter, i dunno which yours has. but i just put two new brass bushings on mine, and it took care of the slop. 10 dollars on ebay free shipping...

I'll dig into it here soon and see. The shifter is just like a limp noodle and all over over the place.

Nice score Flowbench! I say STREET LEGAL gasser. That would be cool. Looking at that '59 at Blue Lake made me think gasser. :D

Welcome to the forum. Now fill out your location in your profile so we know were you are. You can also check out the FAQ's page for a LOT of upgrade type stuff for your truck.

Yeah, Im leaning gasser route. Something about a ill handling, wheelstanding death trap is so attractive.

Im from oregon. Picked up the truck in molalla.

I'll check out the faq right now.

Welcome! Nice to have another 521! HAveing just asked some questions on this subject, the way I understand it is, any 5speed swap will require cutting and welding of the transmount on a 521. If you go with the 1979 dogleg from 200SX it is the same length as the stock 521 trans, so you can keep the stock two piece carrierbearing driveshaft. But you will have to modify how the shaft connects to the trans (Splined end VS old flanged end.) You will have to shorten and weld the stock transmount.

A Zcar one will be long and require a new drive shaft and modifying the trans mount. But there is a theory that if you can find the Short section form a 620 truck two-piece driveshaft, and use that with you stock long shaft section, it might be the right length, but I haven't seen it done yet.

Good luck, I'd love to see a gasser!

welcome to the forum ,,it sounds like shifter bushings to me

Unfortunately the stock 521 shifter is just a sloppy thing. It is refered to as the monkey shifter. (Maybe cause of the way chimpanzees shake hands? All floppy like.) Some folks pack some extra washers in the gaps and replace the pin with a grade 8 bolt and crank that puppy down.

I will say I felt an improvement when I got a new shifter boot and replaced the old cracked one. I was surprised how much better it felt.

Welcome! Nice to have another 521! HAveing just asked some questions on this subject, the way I understand it is, any 5speed swap will require cutting and welding of the transmount on a 521. If you go with the 1979 dogleg from 200SX it is the same length as the stock 521 trans, so you can keep the stock two piece carrierbearing driveshaft. But you will have to modify how the shaft connects to the trans (Splined end VS old flanged end.) You will have to shorten and weld the stock transmount.

A Zcar one will be long and require a new drive shaft and modifying the trans mount. But there is a theory that if you can find the Short section form a 620 truck two-piece driveshaft, and use that with you stock long shaft section, it might be the right length, but I haven't seen it done yet.

Good luck, I'd love to see a gasser!

but if he really boost's an l and putts the dog leg in there it will brake. A mild l20 brakes those transmissions .

what is considered mild? peanut head? Cam? weber???

plz do list :D

well my l20 had a peanut head su's and 2inch exhaust. and the dog leg did not last long this one lasted a couple weeks.

and the other car had a big cam flat tops su's and 21/4 exhaust. that one didnt last to long either but all it did was fry a bearing. so it was a easy fix.

this one lasted a couple months.

so dogleg is weak huh?

So am I better off with a 4 speed or a different 5 speed?

What tranny should I be looking for? I'll see if I can cure some slop in my box for now. Definatly want a durable box in her though.

you are either going to need a 78 79 or 80 620 with a l20 5 speed or a 79-83 na zx trans. or you can swap the bell housing of a 720 5 speed or you can use a ka trans and swap the bell housing but you will have to do some milling to make bearing fit. If this next L series trans i am putting in my dime fails i am going the ka trans rout!

Did your truck come with a l series or a j series engine