my 85 4x4 kc

izzo

well

i posted these pics in my other project thread cuz i was to lazy to make a new one :D

85 720 kc, 4x4. 215,xxx miles. 3inch body lift, Weber, 31" buckshots.

It grinds going into second gear at higher rpms... I hit a tree limb and bent up the fender, the tire brought it up and over and ripped out my rubber gas lines, then broke my power steering lines (the metal part..) It was pitch black, got out the flash lights and fixed it in the middle of the trail :fu:

got it for the purpose of mud, hills, rocks, dirt, camping in the middle of no where, the sand dunes etc. so far its working all right.

Put in a new alternator this weekend, it was giving me all kinds of problems at first but turns out i just had shitty connection to the battery. its all fixed now and battery is holding a charge. Good to go. I haven't put in the KA alt yet but that will be soon after i get a light bar across the top

I got a free Z24 engine and trans from a guy on CL, thanks to Fastdadd ill have that in my hands soon. Plan on rebuilding it and dropping it in so i have something super reliable. I need to put on a new clutch so i wont have to worry about that.

big thanks to freaky510 for helping me with that damn U joint. Guess at some point the intermediate shaft from the trans to the xfer case was swapped out for an older one.

Heres some pics of the trail n stuff, ill get more of the truck later.

oh and, i didnt take my truck thru this hole, he had better clearance in the front of his blazer compared to my 720. I need to adjust the torsion bars and get it a bit higher...

after the owner of the blazer used his come'along to get it up into some harder dirt a mud fight broke out, my kids even got in on it. after that we arrived at the view point. from this view you can see all of Goble, almost can see longview but a hill is in the way, can see portland, could see the vancouver fireworks on the 4th of july, mt rainier, mt st helens blah blah. the view is spectacular! Ill have to get some more pics of it dunno what happened to them.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0452.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

damn that mud looks like poop! lol

hey what kind of mileage are you getting from that thing? theres one for sale around here and i was curious if by some amazing chance that the 4by will get any better mileage than the datto. i doubt it, but it like to have a mild wheelin rig.

not sure you know i didnt test it

but i had just above full when i filled up in seaside, and it was a peach hair below F when i got to rainier, and thats just about 75M, so probly 2 or 2.5 gallons?

it had bigger tires on it then too, and i didnt even use 5th gear, it was doing great in 4th at 60mph the whole way. still a ton of room in the RPM range to get on it if i wanted to. 4L is great on this thing, crawls right along.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine/trans today (thanks fastdadd)

The guy said the trans was blown, but i spun the shaft in all gears and it moves the rear shaft of the trans...

fastdadd noticed the clutch was a little worn! Rivets in the clutch plate itself were getting worn. the pressure plate has some grooves in it, and from sitting for a few years its rusty. He also said the owner had a bunch of automatics, and had a hard time driving the car that was a stick, his son had to move it for him. lol... So clutch was probably just burned out and they assumed it was bad, hard to tell really without putting the trans in and running it. trans is only a little dirty, itll get cleaned, painted and tested.

Engine is a bit dirty, needs to be gone thru. His 15 year old son started tearing it apart so who knows whats what in there.

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo

tore it apart today to check for damages and what im going to need for this rebuild on the free engine i got.

Fuck!

Timing chain guide ripped off and shoved down in to the oil pan, theres little chunks of metal all over. Yay.. Timing tensioner too is f'd. looks like it blew apart as well. Ill have to get that cleaned up. They cut the wires on the distributor, theres enough to splice them back again. Rotor is missing on the disty too. Head gasket looked good, but of course its getting replaced now. Head needs cleaned. Missing a few bolts on the timing cover but not bad.

Need a full gasket kit, timing kit to be safe. Have to hone the cylinders. Head surface looked pretty clean to just touch it up a little and put it together.

Scheduled maintenance is awesome, more ppl should try it :D

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Edited by h2theizzo

This....

IMG_0669.jpg

... will need more than a little honing. May not be salvageable at all. A 1mm over size piston is only .5mm off the cylinder walls. .5 mm or about 20 thou, not much really imagine half the thickness of your thumb nail.

Edited by datzenmike

ran outta time today, if its not raining tomorrow ill clean it up a little, it didnt seem so bad, i could wipe some of it off. dont think its going to rain tomorrow, so ill pull the head back off and check it out again & take some pics. sucks if its ruined :(

yeah that is going to clean up nice...just keep tellin the in laws its going in the balck truck

lol

they dont ask what im doing with engines, they just dont understand the love for a datsun/nissan... summers coming to an end on the coast, i need to hurry up and build that thing and get er in the 4x4

Well, I'm impressed! That looks much better.

Thanks! was really surprised myself, thought i was going to have to put it on CL for free scrap! Lucked out this time im hoping.... Still needs a little scrubbing but the hone should take care of it.

not going to attempt to do the head myself, think ill find a good used one and clean/install it or save a little money and throw this in the shop and have it redone. The head gasket still looked good when i took the head off, no tears or rips etc. but it could have been replaced at some point.

NIssanboy, haha!! I know man, thought about that after i wrote it. funny shit D: was waiting for a comment from someone

Btw, when i met up with nissanboy to get 2 parts from him, he was driving a honda. Please give him shit accordingly. thx

Edited by h2theizzo
Thanks! was really surprised myself, thought i was going to have to put it on CL for free scrap! thx

I would be interested in the crank from a Z24 if it does go the way of scrap.:D Doesnt look like that is going to happen though, cleaned up pretty well.

I would be interested in the crank from a Z24 if it does go the way of scrap.:D Doesnt look like that is going to happen though, cleaned up pretty well.

jason, if anything changes u got dibs

btw, did you get my message about he AC?

Thanks! was really surprised myself, thought i was going to have to put it on CL for free scrap! Lucked out this time im hoping.... Still needs a little scrubbing but the hone should take care of it.

not going to attempt to do the head myself, think ill find a good used one and clean/install it or save a little money and throw this in the shop and have it redone. The head gasket still looked good when i took the head off, no tears or rips etc. but it could have been replaced at some point.

NIssanboy, haha!! I know man, thought about that after i wrote it. funny shit D: was waiting for a comment from someone

Btw, when i met up with nissanboy to get 2 parts from him, he was driving a honda. Please give him shit accordingly. thx

you shithead. :fu: Least it wasn't riced.