New Radiator for my Wagon

fo0manchu

Alright, just got my new radiator in the mail and thought I would share. My old junkyard radiator has a small leak so I thought i should replace it soon. I got a rabbit radiator without the fill cap, because I have a external fill cap already. So far it looks good. Aluminum core with plastic end caps. Looks pretty sweet IMO. Even comes with gaurds for the bottom and top part of the radiator. Whenever I look in the junkyard, those fins are always all bent up. Its a brand new unit made by nissens. Here are some pictures.

DSCF4574.jpg

DSCF4576.jpg

Here is the best part, it cost me a wopping $52.20 shipped to my door. Shipping was fairly fast and everything was packaged nicely. We'll see if it works as well as it looks. And oh yah, I have a ka24de in my wagon.

Edited by fo0manchu
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! That's the same one I have. Using an in-line radiator cap is the best way to do it, because it puts the highest point higher than the bleeder screw on the intake manifold... Hooray for no air bubbles!

That'll look snazzy!

Yah, thats what I did and was thinking. Word.

I'm currently running TWO 10" puller fans, a SOHC thermostat housing (because it sits further toward the motor), and an in-line Moroso filler neck. It's a very tight fit, as KA's are.

Fitment, "under construction" picture

IMG_1030.jpg

Last show I went to, my brother took a high quality shot of my 'goon

IMG_6365.jpg

Annnnnd, obligatory "Goon with a Bluebird grill" picture...

IMG_1403.jpg

Only cuz you love KA-Wagons so much! ...and because I'm a whore.

Damm $53 is an awesome price. I take it this is the popular Rabbit/Scirroco radiator? Where do you fill it from?

You get an in-line filler neck. Again, the nice part about this setup is that the stock KA bleeder screw is typically ABOVE the VW radiator where you're able to mount it. This means that when you fill up your car with water/coolant, there's a big air pocket. You'd have to jack the nose way up to get it out, or pressurize the radiator to force the air out the bleeder screw.

Using an in-line makes the radiator cap the highest point in the system again, so there are no air bubbles.

dang wagdatto that is such a tight fit! I haven't got my radiator in yet, but on my current setup, im running the fan in front because my fan would hit the water pump pulley. are you only running one belt for alt and pump?

its sorta the popular one, i see more people running the radiator from an older rabbit which has a fill cap on the radiator. but it seems like quite a few are running this radiator as well.

I was thinking on mounting two 9" fans as a puller or a 12" with a shroud. any difference? i currently just have a ten, so i might just try that with a shroud first.

how come you got it so cheap i got the one with the cap for $100 and i priced the same rad after my wreck when i thought i needed another one and it was $200 somthings not right a fucking radiator cap shouldnt make a ~$150 price difference

It is a VERY tight fit. I personally don't like pusher fans as much. They don't work as well, and they make the outside of the car look dirty and cluttered. I'm using two fans, and when my motor mounts broke a while back, the motor sagged a little and the water pump pulley chewed into the plastic shroud on one a little. Honestly, I don't need two fans, but I was having heating problems related to something else, and I just figured I don't NOT need two fans!

I'm only running two belts. I didn't do the single-belt conversion. I've got a SOHC water pump pulley, so I have one belt around the alt/crank and one on the water pump/crank.

I know, they are cheap. The one with the cap is made by Valeo and the other by Nissens. Theres like a 15-20 dollar difference. I guess radiator prices are coming down.

Here are some links to the radiators.

WITHOUT CAP: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1985/volkswagen/scirocco/cooling_system/radiator.html

WITH CAP: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1978/volkswagen/rabbit/cooling_system/radiator.html

How much engine can those radiators cool?

Would this one work on an SR20DET or maybe L28eT?

im actually surprized at how well these things cool when i had my car on the freeway at 70 my temp gadge was at about a quarter make sure you have a good electric fan on it and all will be right with the world i suspect it could probibly cool a sr its popular with the ka swaps so i dont see why it wouldnt work

How much engine can those radiators cool?

Would this one work on an SR20DET or maybe L28eT?

I've seen them cool hopped up v-8's, I don't know how effective it would be at low speeds (i.e. four wheeling) but I would run one with an sr, ever see how small a turbo saab radiator is? and those things throw off some heat

If it can cool a V8 then I'll have no problem with my L28 turbo. The all aluminum Fiero radiator looks really good for $133. Even beats Sumitt's Griffin radiator at $180.

I'll go ahead and try one: as long as it works, you can't come close to it for $45 + shipping

Scirocco radiator above is 525mm width core. No definition of height

198X Saab 900 turbo is 577mm by 327mm.

Saab is wider but shorter than my factory 280ZX radiator.

http://www.importedcarparts.com has the same VW radiator for $47.61 - and free shipping on orders over $100! ;)

ALSO, any tips on where I can order the inline radiator cap? Possibly a factory part from another car so I can just add it to my order?

ALSO, any tips on where I can order the inline radiator cap? Possibly a factory part from another car so I can just add it to my order?

There are probably less expensive places, but I got one from Jegs made by CSR. It's very similiar to the one pictured below, but it was made of 3 seperate machined parts with no welding. I think I like the looks of the welded one better. It seems really well made, and looks nice.

Inline Filler Necks (Jegs)

170973.jpg

It would be cool if someone knew of a stock part though. It would probably be a bit less.

Edited by 72wagun
I know, they are cheap. The one with the cap is made by Valeo and the other by Nissens. Theres like a 15-20 dollar difference. I guess radiator prices are coming down.

Here are some links to the radiators.

WITHOUT CAP: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1985/volkswagen/scirocco/cooling_system/radiator.html

WITH CAP: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1978/volkswagen/rabbit/cooling_system/radiator.html

Holy crap dude, thanks for putting the links up! Looks like I might be able to get me a radiator for my swap now :D

its sorta the popular one, i see more people running the radiator from an older rabbit which has a fill cap on the radiator. but it seems like quite a few are running this radiator as well.

the one you have is the way to go i have the one with the cap (all brass though kinda weird) and the cap holds 20psi im not sure about the ka or sr but thats a little high for l series gaskets to take (my head gasket didnt leak till i put this rad in now i have coolent running down the side of my block) im sure with ne gaskets and suck it wouldnt matter but with old gaskets it just makes them fail sooner