I bought a 1980 210

For some unknown and definately strange reason...I bought a 1980 silver colored 1980 auto 210 sedan. Still not sure why, because I could I guess. Not in too bad of shape. Will do some clean up and a bit of fix up, not sure if I will keep it or what yet, but it likes living with lots of other Datsuns I think. Getting a manual tomorrow. Tana

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, where do you live? So, I found that I did have a manual, now I need to find the location of the temp sending unit, should be easy to find and replace. Might be the only problem wrong with that car, other than it is sad looking, so not sure what I will do with it yet. Do you need a $400 parts car? Ha ha, still don't know why I bought it, just cuz! Tana

Which engine is in it? The one I bought is in pretty amazing shape, not munch needed in the parts department at the moment, but I would like to get a bigger enging in it.

So far I've been doing all the tune up stuff on my car, but I'm new at this so I've been asking around trying to find some improvements that can be done on my can, and so far I've been told:

-A15 enging will give me a bit more power and are "relativly" easy to swap for my A14 (s)

-Front shocks are needed, anyone know where to get non-gas front replacement shocks for this car? (or what the diffrence in ride feels like with gas shocks?)

-Don't cut down the coils, but find lowering coils (where would you find those either?)

-My current engine won't realy support a bigger/better exaust, and I should just replace the rusty tailpipe on mine.

Thoughts anyone? (small words I'm new to car repair.....)

I'm in Sammamish, and have been posting on the datsun1200.com forum, they've all been very cool and helpful there.

I'd so like to go to a meet and meet some of the other Datsun fans around!

hi, where do you live? So, I found that I did have a manual, now I need to find the location of the temp sending unit, should be easy to find and replace. Might be the only problem wrong with that car, other than it is sad looking, so not sure what I will do with it yet. Do you need a $400 parts car? Ha ha, still don't know why I bought it, just cuz! Tana
Which engine is in it? The one I bought is in pretty amazing shape, not munch needed in the parts department at the moment, but I would like to get a bigger enging in it.

So far I've been doing all the tune up stuff on my car, but I'm new at this so I've been asking around trying to find some improvements that can be done on my can, and so far I've been told:

-A15 enging will give me a bit more power and are "relativly" easy to swap for my A14 (s)

-Front shocks are needed, anyone know where to get non-gas front replacement shocks for this car? (or what the diffrence in ride feels like with gas shocks?)

-Don't cut down the coils, but find lowering coils (where would you find those either?)

-My current engine won't realy support a bigger/better exaust, and I should just replace the rusty tailpipe on mine.

Thoughts anyone? (small words I'm new to car repair.....)

There are a few simple things that can be done on these cars to make them funner.

1) 2" Exhaust (if requires a catalytic converter for emissions, get a modern one they breathe better) Opening the A-Series motors up takes away the sluggishness.

2) A weber 32/36 DGEV Down draft carb is supposed to make a very nice difference.

3) Getting a hotter spark will also make an improvement. You can pull a full 14.25 volts directly off the battery to the coil for this via a Bosch Relay. Your essentially taking the hot wire to the coil and using it to power the relay instead. Then positive power off the battery through the relay to the positive terminal on the coil.

If you were to choose to go with a bigger engine, the A15 gets more power primarily in the low rpm range due to a longer stroke. Switching over to an L Series engine is possible with a change in the Cross Member, but as I have not done this I cannot give details. The gents at datsun1200.com probably have it memorized though.

I would say since your getting a new exhaust anyways you might as well do the 2" exhaust from the manifold back with a modern CAT for starters. See how it makes you feel. For price idea without a CAT I paid $160.00 for a 2" exhaust with a turbo muffler on my 75 B210.

It runs great, I'm itching to do something to make it " mine" though. Since I'm new to the whole car repair thing, my fella is helping with all modifications, and we are wondering what engines would swap out fairly easily for the A14? I'd like to go and do more junkyard hunting, but I'm not sure what other model cars/trucks to keep an eye out for. Any advice?

So I'm on my way to buy a rebuilt L20. Hoping to be able to fabricate the mounts, We have welding equiptment and skills at hand. I've hear that the tranny will need to be swaped, anyone know what the prefered one is, or better, have one for sale? I've been scouring the forum looking for someone who has done this swap, and I keep seeing that people have "heard of it being done" but I haven't been able to find any threads on it, so I'll take pics and post as soon as we get started on it, any advice is welcome!