KGC10 Skyline 2000GT Build

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's awesome!!! Definitely gonna buy up a few of those :cool:

From what I understand of the background, certain ppl within Mattel really stuck their necks out to make it happen, so if you want more Dattos in the Hot Wheels range, we owe it to ourselves to buy ten of these things when they hit the shelves to send them a message :)

Question, why not upgrade to the Nismo carb isolators? They really do make a big difference on the dyno and on the track.

You mean like a phenolic spacer?

Sure, actually I got a set of those. But my problem is manifold length, the spacers will add about a half inch, and I might have to compromise with shorter air filters, since space is pretty tight against the strut tower as it stands. Also the engine software already said that the ideal manifold length was a bit shorter than what I got, so I figured adding more length would make it worse

You mean like a phenolic spacer?

Sure, actually I got a set of those. But my problem is manifold length, the spacers will add about a half inch, and I might have to compromise with shorter air filters, since space is pretty tight against the strut tower as it stands. Also the engine software already said that the ideal manifold length was a bit shorter than what I got, so I figured adding more length would make it worse

No, I mean the rubber isolators. They are two metal plates vulcanized together with rubber about 1/2" thick sandwiched between. They don't add any length to speak of. If this is a race car, what do you need an air cleaner for?

I would say the benefits of having them would out weigh anything your software tells you. They really do a much netter job of isolating the carbs from the engine vibrations.

Here are s couple pics, though not very good, but you might be able to see them on the motor.

IMG_0595Small.jpg

IMG_0620Small.jpg

IMG_3086Small.jpg

Oh I see, so kinda like Alfa Romeo manifold spacers. I'll have to keep a lookout for those, I think you're right, they wouldn't add much manifold length.

The Hako is actually a road car that gets used to drop kids at school and drive to work. Trackdays are a once or twice a year thing, and the valve seats are very narrow so I figured air filters are probably a really good idea :)

Oh I see, so kinda like Alfa Romeo manifold spacers. I'll have to keep a lookout for those, I think you're right, they wouldn't add much manifold length.

The Hako is actually a road car that gets used to drop kids at school and drive to work. Trackdays are a once or twice a year thing, and the valve seats are very narrow so I figured air filters are probably a really good idea :)

So do your kids think it's a good thing or a bad thing that they arrive in a 40 year old Datsun?

I am jealous.

So do your kids think it's a good thing or a bad thing that they arrive in a 40 year old Datsun?

Actually it's them that ask to be dropped off in "the race car"* :)

*that really isn't one, but who am I to burst their bubble

:blink:

w0w!

dunno how i missed this...

nice work!

From what I understand of the background, certain ppl within Mattel really stuck their necks out to make it happen, so if you want more Dattos in the Hot Wheels range, we owe it to ourselves to buy ten of these things when they hit the shelves to send them a message :)

one of them is a member here.

10 you say???

more if i find them on the hooks :D

• 2 months later...

Just so that nobody gets the idea that I may have forgotten about this car :) I thought I'd fit some of the latest swag from http://www.rubber-soul.net

Heater001.jpg

First items are new greasecaps from the front hubs, since the ones on the car are a little manky looking and dented. I guess my attempt at google-translate failed, and I didn't realise that they were sold by the pair :)

Heater002.jpg

Heater020.jpg

Shiny new caps look great on cars I've seen with gunmetal watanabes, but I think it doesn't really work with the gold wheel centres.

Heater021.jpg

So I'm painting a pair of them in black...might have to give them a few days to cure before I tap them into place with the hammer.

Heater023.jpg

Second item are these rubber seals

Heater003.jpg

They replace these ones that seal the front and rear windows together.

Heater004.jpg

Mine aren't in such bad shape, there's only a bit of a gap along the bottom of the passenger side window, it doesn't seem to let in water, but at speed it does create this annoying whistle. I've tried glueing it in place, but it just keeps popping back out.

Heater005.jpg

New ones are fairly easy to fit, you just lube them with a little liquid soap, and then slide them up into place from the bottom.

Heater015.jpg

The new seals are nice and plump...

Heater018.jpg

...with no more gaps.

Heater017.jpg

Also took the opportunity to get some reproduction stickers

Heater010.jpg

Heater012.jpg

The other items I'm going to leave for another day, but these are adjuster/clamps for the front steering arms.

Heater006.jpg

The ones on the car have been painted over a few times, so it will be nice to have shiny ones in place with new fasteners.

Heater009.jpg

The other thing that has never worked on the car, is the heater, which is bypassed. Judging by the green fuzzy corrosion, I figured either the heater matrix or the mixer tap thingo gave up the ghost while the car was in Japan.

Heater008.jpg

So we have new hoses and the mixer tap thingy.

Heater007.jpg

I'm always surprised at how much stuff is available for the Hako in Japan...with the exception of the stickers, all the parts above came out of Nissan parts boxes.

The last item are some really nice parts that just came in from Beta Motosport in the States. They're billet axles which allow me to fit a Subaru LSD to the Hako.

Heater022.jpg

An R180 Subaru STi LSD just bolts up under the back end of the Hako, with no modifications. The problem is, the Nissan driveshafts aren't compatible with the Scooby diff insides. So the Beta Motorsport axles are Subaru on the inside, and Nissan on the outside. All billet and I've waited since last November for these to be made :) The diff by the way, is a STi 4.4:1 2-way plate LSD.

ScoobyLSD.jpg

I'll get the diff rebuilt with fresh bearings and seals, and then we can have a go at installing it.

• Like 1

how did i miss this thread? nice score man love the car!might i ask where you are getting your Nissan parts from?

I get them from www.rubber-soul.net in Japan. AFAIK they don't ship overseas, so I usually get friends to buy them for me when they're passing through Japan.

i wonder if those windo seals will work on a 610

I'll measure up the ones that came off the car and post up the dimensions.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since I got the Hako, the in-car entertainment has been provided by a single-CD Sony head unit, which dates to probably the early 90s and came with the car. Speakers were vintage Pioneer pod speakers, and when I replaced the worn-out drivers with new MTX ones, the whole thing actually sounded pretty good. So I was happy with it and saw no need to change.

But then recently a good friend was doing a cleanout of his shed, and found one of these:

Becker007.jpg

It's a Becker Europa II radio, which would have been oem-fitment in Benzes, Beemers and Porsches in the early 70s. So it's period-perfect for the 1971 Hako.

Becker002.jpg

It's in absolutely superb condition and is utterly gorgeous to look at and hold. But the eagle-eyed among you will have spied a little 3.5mm mini jack poking meekly out of the front plate, which couldn't possibly be original.

Becker001.jpg

Well it isn't standard for 1973. Rather surprisingly, Becker Autosound in the USA offer a service where they retrofit these vintage Becker head units with an aux jack that you can hook up to an iPod. And my new/old Europa II was one such modified unit, so I couldn't wait to install it to see how it works.

So out comes the centre console, and the old deck, as I tidied up the wiring in readiness for the Becker.

Becker004.jpg

And out comes the old Sony, which to be honest worked much better than I expected it to.

Becker005.jpg

The wiring for the Becker is really simple. The long wire is the +ve, the short wire attached to that bolt is earth, and you can see the speaker wires coming off those plugs to the right of the shot. Modern decks also have an always-on power source, so that things like saved radio presets and bass/treble settings aren't lost when you turn off the car. But with the Becker, treble/bass and radio presets are held by the mechanical position of the controls, so a keep-alive-memory power source isn't needed. Hako also doesn't have an aerial, so that's one less thing to hook up too. Seet that white plastic cap on the right side of the unit? That covers a 7-pin plug to accept an external cassette player! I guess in 1973 that was the equivalent of adding a CD stacker :D

Becker003.jpg

The Sony deck was installed in Japan by jamming it into this oddments pocket that bolts to the bottom of the centre console. This looked like it would work for the Becker too.

Becker006.jpg

So after making a bracket...

Becker008.jpg

The Becker bolted to the DIN-pocket just fine.

Becker009.jpg

And the chrome front fascia is a perfect fit for the centre console.

Becker011.jpg

And into the car it goes!

Becker014.jpg

At this point, you think that it doesn't really matter if the 40yr old deck works or not, it just looks awesome :)

Becker017.jpg

And I have to admit that my sonic expectations of this ancient deck were pretty low...I figured that as long as I could make out the song, and as long as it wasn't *completely* drowned out by the Webers, then it was all good :D But you know...it's actually pretty good! You can crank up the volume to a pretty reasonable level before it starts to go all crackly, and while it isn't the last word in clear staging, I wouldn't say that it's a million miles behind the old Sony unit.

When you plug in the iPod, it swaps from radio to the aux input automatically, and then you select songs via the face of the iPhone conventionally. Very chuffed with this :D ...and I have to say that it does seem really bizarre that the iPhone just plugs into this vintage thing...kinda like picking up an 18th century musket and then discovering that it's equipped with a laser sight :)

There is only one problem though...and that is that the Hako already has a vintage radio at the top of the dash, which is the oem-fitment Hitachi.

Becker019.jpg

Now it isn't DIN-sized like the Becker, so the Europa II is actually too tall to fit into the Hitachi's slot. But I reckon that the Becker wouldn't look right if it was at the top of the dash, and the spot where the Hitachi is would be better used for some gauges or even an oddments pocket. I'll sort that out down the track...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Many thanks to our good friends at Super Street Magazine, for featuring the Hako in their March 2012 issue!

SuperStreet001.jpg

Brad Lord put together a great story, and as always Alastair Ritchie's images are top notch.

SuperStreet002.jpg

It's so cool to see the Hako take its place among the awesome rides and eye candy in one of our favourite car mags. So go out and buy the March edition of Super Street now! :D