620 Tach with some STYLE!

spiffinspudater

Ok, I got a 620 tach from the JY and someone had cut some wires from the wiring harness for it. I didnt know what they were to untill I realize it had no lights. Well I have been tossing around the idea of putting some kinda LEDs in there. I wanted to do blacklight LEDs but, well, havnt gotten around to it. So tonight while at kenechts (dunno the spelling) I saw some cheapo LED string kit things. Anyways, here is a mock up of what I may do to my tach and all my Guages. Tell me what you think!

P1010115.jpg

P1010113.jpg

P1010108.jpg

P1010112.jpg

P1010111.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, photos. Like I said this was all just a mock up to see how well it works. Best thing is, I think I can wire it into my current lights. They run off of 12v. Here are the pics

P1010121.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010124.jpg

P1010125.jpg

There will be extra and I think I can actually CUT it and just reterminate the ends. SO I am going to buy 3 more when I go out next. I think these will look great when I replace the Blinkers to Blue LEDs. Oh yeah, I think I can make them dim too;)

I bet you can find um anywhere... Just go to that section at any store that you pass because of all the cheesey car stuff they have (cell phone holders, bobbly head dolls, ect) and they will likely have them there....

The ones I picked up are made by Pilot Automotive. 15" LED Flexi-lite CZ1818

They are more expensive than I thought

Lol ok so it was $25 (looked at my reciept) I bet there are cheaper ones out there but atleast you know what to lok for;)

Alright, after fighting with the damn tach lights that are already in my truck, I tested the config... it works! The Lights even dim. Now I need to tare apart my cluster and test the Actual Tach. Everything looks in order. If it is I may just replace mine with this one since I don't need the wiring harness. Oh yeah, I took some wire snips and cut the lights and they still work... I dont know why they work still but they do. so now it fits almost perfectly in the circle.

getting my cluster changed to full metric

I take my face plate and scanned in on the flatbad scanner, then modified it. And printed a new one out with the photo printer. You can modify the font, colors, etc. I modified mine to change the scale since I didn't want to get under the car and change the plastic speedo gears. It looks good, here is a pic:

14098.jpg

Now I gotta get some strips LEDs...thanks for the ideas guys

I had trouble getting the arm off too. The trick was it takes some patience, a careful arm (pull straight up, not to the side), and some amount of force. I just keeping wiggling it while pulling up and it finally came off.

Well, I used pliers the first time, carefully pry the round little cover off the needle, then put the pliers on the metal part underneath.

hehe, my original gauge faces all look good too. But now my speedometer has a datsun symbol. You could easy change the scale to Metric -- your speedo may actually have the metric markings around the edge.

Btw, it matches my other gauges, since I only modified the original design.

2eDeYe;17939']$20 for bitcin dash lights? Nice.

If you have enough left over you could try putting them behind the heater control panel ;)

Lol 48" should be more than enough. These are low enough profile that I can stick them just about anywhere. About a week is what is said for shipping. Can't wait! Now I just need to learn how to remove a gauge cluster without destroying it...

its pretty simple bro, i have faith in you.. i've had mine apart dozens of times.. the hardest part is that crappy little star head screw that grounds the cluster to the dash... it likes to rust and seize up.. also if the cluster isnt grounded properly shit just wont work right.. you will see what i mean..

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I got the lights in the mail. The ebay ones are slightly larger but they should still work. I tore them apart and started cutting into them... I have all my parts cut and tested... They work, but not as well as I was hoping. I have no idea on how these are wired but it looks like you can cut every 3... Anyway, with them cut I am using some stupid little 12v thing that came to demo the $25 15" set I got first. It lights them up allpretty like. I would show how and what lights up but I am not into taking pics tonight. Tomorrow or sometime in the comming weeks I will be doing the complete upgrade. Does anyone know id a true 12v go to the dash lights? NVM, I already tested it once... *Sigh* I keep second guessing everything I do. I hate it. Alrighty, guys. Expect pictures of my upgraded gauge lights soon. ;)

Alright, I got my stuff torn out. I would show you some pictures but I am waiting untill I get it finished (all I need is some electrical tape) and will do a how to. Also, I was thinking they looked too dim when actually connected to the truck, but they look fine when it is dark out. I can't, however, see the odometer very well... but then again with the old lighting I couldnt see anything very well. I wish there was a way to take accurate pictures for you all.