swaped vins !!!

well I'll add my story on my project that I'm doing now, '75 long bed frame, with junk title and '78 king cab body on top of '75, I had talked with an independent agent that does vin verification and she told me that I need to get the '78 cab/vin verfied also and then go to dmv and apply for a specially constructed vehicle also, what I was thinking is what if I just tell her that I want just the '75 vin verified and then just simply grab all the vin plates from the '75 and put them on the '78 king cab body, hmm makes me think that I should go the SCV way just to avoid the hassle, I'll find out more details this coming week if anyone wants to know what happens I'll post up an update real soon, look for all the details on an upcoming project page, blowing her all apart this weekend

conrad

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In California a Specially Constructed Vehicle may have to meet all pollution control requirements for the year you construct it, not the year of the frame or body. Talk to a "friendly" [if there is such a thing] DMV source before you go pouring money down a rat hole. Consider registering what you have, then do the "body work".

In California a Specially Constructed Vehicle may have to meet all pollution control requirements for the year you construct it, not the year of the frame or body. Talk to a "friendly" [if there is such a thing] DMV source before you go pouring money down a rat hole. Consider registering what you have, then do the "body work".

what you say makes sense, but you might as well be talking to a rat :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

update:

well guys I had a chp officer come by my house and vin verified my '75 LB 620 he looked at the id plate in the engine compartment and drivers b pillar and signed his john hancock and away he went.

I told him about the one on the frame and he didn't even bother?! Well now all I would need now is a brake/light and smog, oops thats right its a '75 so no smog for me.

I'm practically free to construct now- the fun begins and I'm still on the fence about what motor will I run, Hmm Vh45, VK56, VG30 SOHC maybe??

Already have a app for custom plates which will read Haulnas, I'm sure the dmv guys will reject it for sure LOL....

conrad

well truck is done as far as paperwork goes and damn I have been burning the midnight oil on the ins and outs of cali registration and from what I have gathered its easier just to move LOL!!! AZ seems nice no rusting problems:D

Interesting read I had last night on registering kits cars like the cobra, I thought the process was cake, well seems like their is still tons to do also. Most of them go the SB-100 route to exempt their SPCN cars so no more smog and then getting a new vin#, man what a process and is by no means easier than doing it on a import car from japan, I have been contemplating on getting a nissan pulsar gti-r and want to get it a new vin#, referee part really scares me so I'm trying my best to do all the homework before venturing out the referee-wish me luck because I think I'm going to need more than that:D

• 4 weeks later...

well i live in washington my town dose not do vin checks but a feaind had a a simaler deal were he had a king kab with a clear titel but was bernt to the grounfd in a fire so he pulled all the tags and cut the one from the fram for his other truck wich had no title and not to long ago moved out of state and it past inspection so maybe you could do something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of discussion, start with a titled, registered, running 75 620 long bed chassis and badly rusted cab with matching numbers and all the vin tags, and one KC cab & bed with an intact vin tag and title (let's assume that the KCs frame was damaged beyond use (slid into a curb in the rain and wiped out the suspension, maybe?) and the frame has been cut up but NOT scrapped, so the KC's vin is still active.

If the KC cab and short bed are installed on the long bed frame with the 75 drivetrain and it goes through vin verification, will the DMV go with the year of the chassis and engine and consider it to be a 75 (making it exempt from emissions testing), or will they consider it to be a 77-79 (which makes it not smog legal with the 75 engine which matches the vin)?

On the other hand, if the person building the truck decides to "fly under the radar" and run on the 75 vin, title, and plates with the long bed's vin tag swapped onto the KC cab, is the vin sequence for the long bed going to be different from the sequence for a KC, and give the game away if he gets stopped and the cop (who doesn't know Datsun didn't make KC's in 75) runs the vin?

Don't know if Nissan did it with Datsuns in the 70's, but some manufacturers used different numerical sequences for different models on the same basic body series - for example, late 60's BMW 1600s had 15xx xxx vins, while 2000s had 16xx xxx vins, and US and Euro sequences differed as well.

I could easily see folks in California considering either of the above combinations, since vehicles from the 75 model year are the oldest ones that are exempt from emissions testing.............

Typically the DMV uses the newest component to determine model year.

However, all you are talking about is a sheet metal change. The problem being the use of the KC cab, which is physically different. If the registratoin matches the frame VIN then it's really not that big of a problem. Usually the problem comes about when folks try to sneak a '78-79 frame off as a pre-75 for smog exemption.

Nissan's VIN sequence was basically linear. However, the numbers started at 000001 (sometimes 5 digits, usually 6) for each various chassis- a '75 started at 1 for both the longbed and shortbox because the VIN sequence started anew due to the engine code change (all '72-74 US-spec 620s were PL620xxxxxx), '75 620 shortboxes were HL620xxxxxx and continued through '79, longbeds were HLG620xxxxxx, and King Cab sequences started in '76 with KHL620000001. You can get a rough idea of the model year of an unknown truck from the first digit after the model code, but it's not exact.