Datsun Image Manipulation

Since I kinda stole someone else's Photoshop thread, I decided to create my own since I think I want to outline as many Datsuns as possible. So far I am at 2;)Here is the NL320 I just did using a photo that MKlotz gave me. I think I will do a 521 next then maybe some cars. You can bust out your Crayolas if you want to print them out and color:D

NL320 Outline

NL320outline.jpg

521 Outline

4c22b011.jpg

620 KC Outline

64d091f1.jpg

As you can see I haven't done the wheels and tires yet... I will get around to them but there are so many details involved they take a while.

I will also create a "how to" for these in case you want to try your hand at some fun photo editing and outlining.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i like it anyway. especially that the bottom half that's "painted" is all nice lookin and smooth and the top half that's original is worn out... it's neat.

just looked.. did you remove the original? or is it just not showin up for me?

How to make an outline from a vehicle photo.

You will need to download and install GIMP

You will need a good quality picture of the vehicle making sure you can see the body lines and details clearly. I suggest using an image with a resolution of 1024x760 or higher.

Open GIMP

Drag the image into where the tools are (the image will open)

Make sure the dialog box for layers is open by pressing ctrl+L

Open the undo dialog by going to the edit menu and selecting undo history.

Next we will create layers

Bringing the Layers window to the foreground

Click the New Layer button in the bottom left corner

Name the first layer Backdrop (naming them makes thing MUCH easier)

Select the fill type as White

Click OK.

Next click on the layer that says background (the one that has an image in it)

Click the duplicate Layer Button on the bottom toward the middle.

You should now have background, Background Copy, and Backdrop.

Click Background and click the trashcan in the bottom right of the window to delete it.

Now select the Backdrop and drag it so it is under the Background copy (you wont see an all white image anymore).

From top to bottom you should have Background Copy then Backdrop

The following steps you can follow loosely as everyone will do this part differently and require more or less layers.

Click the new layer button again giving it a name of the part that you are going to outline first (I usually do an overall outline so I would call it body, cab, bed, something to that nature) and change the Layer Fill Type to Transparency (you will use transparency from now on).

Click ok

Making sure that your new layer is highlighted click on the window your picture is in bringing it to the top.

In the bottom left of that window there is a magnification percentage (you will use this a lot).

Change the percentage to something high so you can see the curves and details (I use 200%)

Find a point to start at(I try for the longest flat edge)

Go to your tools window and select the create and edit paths tool (looks like a fountain pen and a line that looks like an r).

Make sure your edit mode is set to design

Click and release at the point you want to start on and it will leave a dot.

Next select another point just before the first curve by clicking and releasing

Select another point after the curve and keep going.

It is hard to do compound curves make a point just before and after each curve. I use 4 points for circles.

Next you need to create curves

Click the line that is in between two of the points and drag it in the general direction of the curve. You will notice that there is a handle that comes out of each of the points. Click the handle and drag it around trying to get the line perfectly lined up with whatever you are trying to outline. You will need to play with it to get the hang of it. You will want to do this between each point and at each curve. Once you have the lines where they are supposed to be go to the next step…

Now you get to make that temporary path into a line.

In the tool box you will see the path tab (where you made sure you were in design mode) and click stroke path

Line width should be something small. I use 3

Then click stroke.

You will see that your path turned black

Go to your layers window and click the eye next to Background copy and the background will go white (the reason for the back drop) and you can see the line you made clearer.

If it is how you want click any other tool other than path and that path will disappear.

If you don’t like it click the undo button until the path isn’t a line and edit that path until you do like it the stroke the path.

Now this is where everyone else’s stuff will differ. I create a new layer for darn near each thing I do (door, windows, beds, certain body lines, ect) but that is up to you. Just follow the steps above until you outlined everything you wanted to.

How To Save

First, I suggest saving the GIMP image (all the layers separated in case you want to change something later)

Go to file save as…

Type a name and select where you want (should be simple to figure that out)

Before clicking save click the + above the help button so select the file type

Chose XFC then click save

Next bring your layers dialog to the front

Make sure the background copy is hidden (click the eye next to it so there is no eye next to it)

Right click a layer and select flatten image

Go to file

Save as

Enter another name followed by .jpg this time

Don’t worry about the extension as long as you type .jpg at the end

Click save

It will ask you for info, I use the defaults. It may ask you something about transparencies…. Just click export.

Save it to your favorite image hosting place (using a smaller size) and then upload to the forum to show all of us.

i114.photobucket

2eDeYe;15641'']Mind if I just play with it a bit, and the one of your truck :D

I was gonna make some kind of a smart ass comment...but I think I will just post a pic or two of my own drawings.... not that I am some "joe Artist" or something...just really like doing that type of thing once in a while.......

newpainting1copy.jpg[/img][/img]

Sorry, I wanted to post this one too...there is 30 years between the two drawings...as you can see, I did not get any better with age...LOL

Very nice. I have no artistic talent but I learned how to trace stuff so that is what I do.

Everyone here is welcome to use my tracings for their own projects. the only thing I ask is that they share what they do with them.

Javin....that was my NL I sent you pics of. I'm pretty sure the one you did the outline off of was from when I had it at Canby. Glad you like it tnip :)

Love the outline!!!!!

Ol'....love the artwork on the TV trays?

Javin....that was my NL I sent you pics of. I'm pretty sure the one you did the outline off of was from when I had it at Canby. Glad you like it tnip :)

Love the outline!!!!!

Ol'....love the artwork on the TV trays?

Nope, those paintings are done on approx 12" x 16" x 3/4" thick Very hard

wood...sanded smooth and soon to be covered with some kind of clear...(think after 30 yrs it is time to clear coat the darker one huh?)

OOPS..I did say "hard wood" hmmmmmmmmmmmmm is that redundant? LOL

you said you don't think you've improved but i think you have... how many other times in that 30 year period did you paint a 620? how many art classes did you take? how many times did you paint anything?... if you could even make it look the same ater 30 years i think that's pretty good. means you stil have the brush manipulation and ability to imagine an image that you had 30 years before, right?

spiff did you get any more work done on the 521 outline?

dude i'm a bum now, i hate it. as soon as i get my sleeping schedule on track again and i get my 521 on the road i'm gonna be workin my ass off to make up for all this time i've just been sitting around feeding it haha. don't think you need to do it for me, i can do one myself it's just the one i started before i got most of the cab and front end done and didn't remember the part about turning it into a line and so when i clicked on another thing it all dissapeared haha, i was pissed for a lil while, now it's just funny.

i know what you mean about dealing with customers, i couldn't stand it then i did telemarketing for a few months, cold calling trying to get people checking account info... now the average customer service issues are a piece of cake haha. (i was damn good at that too... maybe i should do it myself with the phone book and just "collect donations") :D

dude i'm a bum now, i hate it. as soon as i get my sleeping schedule on track again and i get my 521 on the road i'm gonna be workin my ass off to make up for all this time i've just been sitting around feeding it haha. don't think you need to do it for me, i can do one myself it's just the one i started before i got most of the cab and front end done and didn't remember the part about turning it into a line and so when i clicked on another thing it all dissapeared haha, i was pissed for a lil while, now it's just funny.

i know what you mean about dealing with customers, i couldn't stand it then i did telemarketing for a few months, cold calling trying to get people checking account info... now the average customer service issues are a piece of cake haha. (i was damn good at that too... maybe i should do it myself with the phone book and just "collect donations") :D

I work in a glorified helpdesk... I pass problems to backshop and troubleshoot over the phone. I do Network Management as my primary job but get stuck here from time to time. Customers are generally stupid and should never touch a computer. I get call ranging from I cant access this site to my entire building cant connect to the network. Most of the time it is a simple fix but then there are things that cause headachs.