What is the really small alternator?

ggzilla

What is the really small alternator I see advertised from hotrod shops?

They are like half the size of most alternators (e.g. regular Datsun alternator). Is it the Saturn alternator or something else that can be found at a wrecking yard?

I'd like to swap one in that weighs less than the Datsun Hitachi LT series alternators. My LT-135 (early 510 type) weighs 8.4 pounds with pulley. The LT-150 (50A) 1974-1978 unit weighs 9.6 pounds.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LT 135 (35amp) and optional LT 138 (38amp) alternators were used only through '77.

LR 135 (35amp) and optional LR 138 (38amp) alternators were used from '78-through '80 on the 620s and first year 720s.

LT signifies external regulator, LR is for internal regulator. All alternators after '78 were LR. The LR 150 and LR 160 (50 and 60amp) weren't available until the '81 model year 720 and though they will physically fit the older 620s, they are larger in diameter and will/can rub the lower rad hose and idler arm.

Check this out: I have heard that the '88-'93 Maxima alternator LR 190 23100 85E00 will work if you swap the 620 pulley onto it and drill the threads out of the housing so you can use through bolts to mount it. The output is a nice 90 amp and they are small.

Edited by datzenmike

I have heard that Subaru alternators are really small. I think I have seen them mounted on SR's, so I bet you could make them work on an L-motor fairly easily. I'm not sure of the output though.

LT 135 (35amp) and optional LT 138 (38amp) alternators were used only through '77.

LR 135 (35amp) and optional LR 138 (38amp) alternators were used from '78-through '80 on the 620s and first year 720s.

LT signifies external regulator, LR is for internal regulator. All alternators after '78 were LR. The LR 150 and LR 160 (50 and 60amp) weren't available until the '81 model year 720 and though they will physically fit the older 620s, they are larger in diameter and will/can rub the lower rad hose and idler arm.

Check this out: I have heard that the '88-'93 Maxima alternator LR 190 23100 85E00 will work if you swap the 620 pulley onto it and drill the threads out of the housing so you can use through bolts to mount it. The output is a nice 90 amp and they are small.

Datzenmike, on the 88-93 Maxima alternator, what about the wiring? Plug in? I guess you would need the original plug-in off a maxima to to rewire it? Right?

I know which one you're talking about.....they're at all the shows and swap meets. I used a Toy Corolla one for the NL. 65A and it's a good bit smaller than the stock one you're talking about. Not quite as small as the one you asked about.