My truck VIDEO 2mins of driving and boom Rear end lets go

72 327

Well my son and I are taking off to get gas in the truck. He is recording so sorry for the video He's 11. So we start it and get going. In the video you can hear the whining of the rear end as we come to the stop. I get on it just a little and about 20 secs later BOOM engine dies and lots more noise. Just take a look damn it only 1/2 mile of driving. Now its off to find another rear end. At first I didnt know what it was that let go I was hoping it was not the motor or new tranny. But on further inspection in park the truck rolls and the drive shaft doesnt turn. Also figured out I had alot less gas than I thought, when the rear end let go I ran out of gas at the same time thats why the motor died.

th_truckboom.jpg

Edited by 72 327
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a hell of a motor, and a very nice install. This just gives you an excuse to build a killer rear end to go with that motor, lol.

Well problem is right now I lost my job on Wednesday (temp layoff 3 months Happy Easter to me). So I cant built one ground up yet. Im going to put a toyota one in for now. I just found one from a buddy it will get me by as long as I dont stand on it.

I have parts so far for a Dana44 out of a Jeep Cherokie since its offset I only have to shorten one axel shaft and tube. And its six lug so I can use my rims.

Hope work picks up and I go back soon.

But isnt it cool to hear shit break. when its not your of course. LOL

nothin like that ever happens in my videos thank god.. heheh :P

sorry to hear that bro, get'r'done

Thats what I get for trying to match your video's. It was ok once I figured out what was wrong. Hince the reason I have been asking about rear ends.

ANYBODY know what years rear end will just bolt in other than the 73-78? being lazy dont want to search all the threads you get when you type in REAR END.

Man that motor sounds healthy. Sux it let go but you werent too far from home & it's all on tape :o Is the current rear end a ford 9 inch ?

Yah know I had a post trying to figure out what rear end I have. Im not really sure. Here is the post with the pics and pics

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=10263&highlight=toyota

ry%3D480

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Edited by 72 327

Yours kind of looks factory..maybe it was just low on fluid..???

Maybe it was 300+hp. Yah it does look factory. When I had said ford 9" before I had been going off of what the PO said.

Hey I know you're in central cali- but i've got a rear from a '02 Desert Runner V6 supercharged Frontier with a VLSD. was gonna swap it into my 2wd fronty, but it's my daily, and I can't afford to have it off the road for any amount of time...

FrontierRearside.jpg

FrontierRearlong.jpg

I paid $250 for it a while ago, and while I'd like to recoup some of my investment,

I'd also like to see someone do something cool with it!

maybe we can work a trade or something... I need an L20b head! :D

Oh, yeah, it's on southern cali (huntington beach), so that could be a hurdle!

...just a thought...

hit me back if it sounds like something you'd like to tangle with.

BTW, it's wider than my stock Frontier rear, so on a Datto, it'd stick way out = cut down...:mellow:

Your truck sounds mean!. Here is a link to the photos of your truck when james had it.(RIP)http://img376.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=picture0262qq.jpg Don't know if you have these!. Guy.

This truck is stupid really. I dont think anybody understands until you get in and buckle up. At 70 it will break the tires loose.

Yeppers have them and the password to his account. Just never felt like doing anything with the account. He called this truck RED Draggin' lol. 4sure RIP James!!

I also have his 300zxTT. Still working on it though...

ry%3D400

Edited by 72 327

hessianben,

For me to use that rear end I would have to do about as much work on it as I have left on my Dana 44 Jeep rear end. So Im just looking for a cheap option thats close to me that can get me though this unemployement phase and still be able to go to the car shows with it this summer.

Also the only Datsun stuff I have is whats on the truck. Im not like some of these nuts with stock piles of parts. LOL I collect 65 corvette parts.

my super secret project.

0120081514.jpg?t=1239519039

Ok did a bit of research here. Im assuming I have a stock rear end. If I go with a toyota rear end I have to do several things. 1. Relocate the spring perches. 2. Make or have made a yoke to adapt to my allready Chevy Drive line to Datsun rear end yoke. Sounds like a big PITA for a temp fix. So I think going with a $110 J/Y datsun rear is a good Idea for now. My question here is.

1. Will a 73-8x h190ml rear end just bolt in?(Im assuming if this truck is a 73 rear end and it was made in 8/72 that its a aluminum h190al) Is the rear Yoke the same? Spring perches the same?

2. What gears? Does anybody have the teeth count on what each of the combos have. Since I cant rotate the input or tires to count revs of the output shaft Im going to have to pull it apart to check.

If I have to pull it apart I will take pics in fact Ill take pics either way I want to see what happened in there.

Let me know if you have any of this information. Thanks

Edited by 72 327

I would imagine that truck was meant to be a cruiser if it had the stock rear end. If you put another Datsun rear end in it, you will grenade it just like the last one. Those rear ends obviously aren't made for the sort of torque that a SBC puts out. You should look into getting some sort of rear end that will hold up to the torque of that engine; why not at least a Chevy 10 bolt out of something with a V8 (even a 307 would do), or a newer rear out of a junked Camaro or something? If you have to adapt a rear end with welding/etc, why not adapt one that you know can take the punishment? If you have a 6 banger Chevrolet and put a heavily worked over 350 v8 in it, or even a mild BBC, the same thing will happen to the rear end if you get on it hard and often enough.

Does that engine have a solid lifter cam?

Edited by Buzzbomb
I would imagine that truck was meant to be a cruiser if it had the stock rear end. If you put another Datsun rear end in it, you will grenade it just like the last one. Those rear ends obviously aren't made for the sort of torque that a SBC puts out. You should look into getting some sort of rear end that will hold up to the torque of that engine; why not at least a Chevy 10 bolt out of something with a V8 (even a 307 would do), or a newer rear out of a junked Camaro or something? If you have to adapt a rear end with welding/etc, why not adapt one that you know can take the punishment? If you have a 6 banger Chevrolet and put a worked over 350 v8 in it, or even a mild BBC, the same thing will happen to the rear end if you get on it hard and often enough.

Does that engine have a solid lifter cam?

Well I have a rear end Dana 44 out of a Jeep(if you read above I stated that). But its going to cost me about 500-700 to complete it. I dont have a JOB I lost it on Weds (also stated above). So Im only temp fixing the truck so I can atleast drive it around to the car shows this summer. This rear end has lasted for 6534 miles since the rebuild of the truck. I also dont know how many stock miles where on it before. So it did pretty good. I have only driven this truck just under a 1000 miles since I have owned it in 2 years. Mostly shows and a couple short cruzes.

The solid lifters and cam have been replaced. And yes the engine numbers on the heads and on the block match a 1967 Chevy Corvette made in November of 1966. The vette the motor came out of was totalled in on July 4th, 1983 by a 17 year old kid that took the vette without his parents permission showing off for his friends. It was under going a restoration at the time but was drivable. Ok enough of that. I have full docs on the motor just not the truck. LOL

So does anybody have the information I need? Please

Edited by 72 327

If it was me I would pull the axles out and remove the pig, see how bad bad is and get another same thing. I'm sure it went quite a while and had lots of hot suppers. Fill it with good stuff.

Just me,then drive it and work on finding a custom tire burning Narrowed Dana 60 maybe. Or as you say the old land criuzers had a tuff rear end offset though. Also a Izuzu amigo as I remember had a big ass one and they too are six lug. I bought one for my X and remember looking under it at the dealership and saying wow for a little jap rig this thing has a big rear axle. They were rear disc brake too.

Good luck, pull it out and send us pics of the destruction anyhow :D