Best way to bore L16 intake?

Suggestions on the best way to bore out a L16 intake. Started using the old drimmel tool, but nothings cutting it very well. Using the small 60 grit round sanding bits, eating them up quick. Used the stone type bits, eating them up also. I'm making progress, but anything quicker? This is slower than shit and shits pretty slow. Thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have a milling tool and a drill press then you are stuck with a very time consuming job using up many sanding cylinders. 60 grit is good...just takes time.

I did mine and I tried to speed it up too, but the sanding cylinders worked the best.

Suggestions on the best way to bore out a L16 intake. Started using the old drimmel tool, but nothings cutting it very well. Using the small 60 grit round sanding bits, eating them up quick. Used the stone type bits, eating them up also. I'm making progress, but anything quicker? This is slower than shit and shits pretty slow. Thanks

Until someone stole them, I had a set of white ceramic "stone" bits for my dremel tool that I got from a locksmith. They were designed to cut and shape armor plate around the locks of file safes used to store classified materials. If there is a locksmith in your town, see if they could sell you a few of these bits.

Mike, I bought some stone bits tonight. They're green and red, they don't cut worth a crap. There is a white ball bit, but I haven't tried it yet, thought the others were harder and would cut better, so I'll have to give it a try. I did get some round sanding bits with the layered sandpaper for my airtool, thats working the best so far. Still slow.

Mike, I bought some stone bits tonight. They're green and red, they don't cut worth a crap. There is a white ball bit, but I haven't tried it yet, thought the others were harder and would cut better, so I'll have to give it a try. I did get some round sanding bits with the layered sandpaper for my airtool, thats working the best so far. Still slow.

The problem with those stone bits is that aluminum gets stuck in them...too soft. It is like trying to grind cheddar cheeze. :D Doesn't turn out well.

Use the sanding cylinders I posted the picture of. That was the best way when I did mine.

I used a carbide cutter with an acorn shape in a 3/8" drill and built a little "jig" on my workbench to hold the intake steady. I got a fine cut one and it is slow going... about an hour a hole. Id get a medium cut one if I were to do it again.

I bought a crappy cheap drill from a pawnshop for a few bucks(one I didnt care if I burned up) you can usually buy the dies there too, just make sure they are in good shape. If you go the drill route make sure you get one with a lock for the trigger other wise your hands will be hurting...

If youve got an air compressor get a diegrinder and use that instead of a dremel. Its a tool youll use again and is worth buying.

Also when sanding aluminum wear a mask, the dust/particles can screw you up pretty good.

Alright. I think I am going to make a video on this subject. The best way is to chuck a straight router bit in a straight air grinder. Mark your opening dimensions and work it out to that point about 1/4" deep. Do each one and go in another 1/4" evening the wall surface. So yeah,router bit. Use sanding drums to clean up the surfaces but not to do the actual cutting. Stay tuned for the video since I think I will start on that today.

nicly done, how long did it take to bore the intake.

also how far inward did you bore it.

420, it took me about 4 to 5 hours off and on. I bored it in as far as I could get the sanding tool, about a inch and half in. It really wasn't that bad after I figured the best thing to use, plus I didn't do it all at once.