L20B Turbo

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think my first plan of action should be to fuel inject me datto... Then after thats all takin care of turbo it.. seems like the hardest part is the fi setup so maybe if i get that out of the way first i can drive it like that till i gather the rest of the parts and such, thanks guys i appriciate the imput

I know it wouldn't be much in a junkyard, but thats asuming you can find one.

the JY i found the first motor at wanted ~70 for an ECU, ~55 for a MAF and ~40 for the harness. i tried to connect the whole jumble and call it the 'harness', but the girl wasnt stupid that day :mad:

and they wanted $400 for the motor-that i still had to pull!

thats part of the reason i didnt get the (mis-matched) parts when i bought the Z22, from a diff JY. this JY would have only asked another $75 w/ the motor, IF they had those components.

ouch!

you guy's must have gold plated cars in your junkyards down there. Up here, I could get out with all the sensors and wiring for under $50.

so what's it worth to ya fineline? Naturally I would need it shipped up here.

so it's ONLY missing manifold and injectors/fuel rail?

Here's a great little read for installing EFI.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/nsections/index.php?op=viewarticle&artid=99

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_efi.html

I'm going with the 200sx intake and injector set up and running it on a Z24 engine. For any other motor you will have to make an intake and mount the 200sx parts, but it will work fine. And it's all Datsun parts.

nismopu is going to be making me an intake mani out of a l28 intake mani, i've got throttle body, injectors.. some other crap.. you think 280zx turbo injectors are too much?? lol umm so yea looks like i gotta get some more crap.. yay! lol

ok do i need the cylinder head temp sensor?? i dont even know where i'd put it.. lol

here better yet.. can you list off exactly which parts i need.. i notice in the diagram it looks like a z20 or something and it has things the l20b doesnt have.. i know the fuel crap i need but theres some sensors an whatever i dont even know wtf .. anyways thanks :P

http://ddgonzal.members.winisp.net/200sxEFI/1981%20overview%202.jpg

I think he means that the cylinder temp sensor could be mounted in the thermostat housing. I don't know about the stock one but the 280's had 3 or 4 sensor holes in them. My Z22 head has it mounted near the #1 exhaust port to give a quicker reading for EFI mixtures but anywhere hot is better than nothing.

Josh: It would be best if you had a complete car to take off what you need. The 280 Z EFI was similar for some parts, obviously some stuff would be six cylinder specific .. Barring that get:

Control unit (brain)

Harness, which has and all other sensor plugs on it plus the injector wiring.

Electric fuel pump 30-40 psi. should have a damper to soften the pulses to the injectors, keeps it even.

Pressure regulator for the fuel rail and return line to the tank.

An air flow meter, has an air temp sensor. Tells EFI how warm and much air enters motor.

IAS unit (idle speed adj.)

Air regulator, used for cool and cold starting and helps warm up.(fast idle on warm up)

Injectors... duh!

Throttle chamber, you said you have it. Regulates air flow via the gas pedal.

Throttle switch, should be on your throttle chamber (above) Tells brain if idle or full throttle.

Water temp sensor, mounted in thermostat housing in '80 model, in the head '81 and on.

Dropping resisters, for the injectors, won't work without it.

Exhaust O2 sensor, U.S. models only. Helps to fine tune the EFI mixture when engine warm.

I have a complete set up and it will go on a Z engine so I don't expect problems with it. Mixing components from 280Z and 200sx, I just don't know. Could be a challenge. But to have EFI, I'd have to say worth the effort.

BTW I'm not an expert on this and am learning as I go. So if anyone sees any errors PLEASE step up and say so.

The '80 through '83 are virtually the same in opperation. The O2 sensor is only in use once the engine is warmed up. You could run without it I guess. The O2 sensor tells the EFI to richen or lean the mixture to fine tune it for emissions. I also don't think it is in opperation under full throttle. I would run one if it had it, mostly for economy reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

im working on turboing my 1.8L in my 620 as well. i got access to torches, water jet and a t.i.g. so im kinda cheating, plus i got crap loads of 280zx stuff. i was even thinking of modifing the 280zx fuel injection and ecu to work. it has no clue 2 injectors are missing. im too cheap to buy anything, so im just gonna build or make the parts work the way i want.

its called batch fire injection, they all go at once, thats what makes it work for me. you just cut the manifold, weld er together, and just cut 2 injectors out, use the upper thermostat housing and instal as if were 280zx. mount the ecu on the drivers kick panel, or under the dash away from engine heat. you may need the matchbox dizzy, havent figured that one out yet, but im pretty sure not. you may just need to run a msd box and tach adapter with a led to the ecu, but thats for later, its not like i drive this everyday. then im gonna try to turbo it later, and run low boost, then build it up from there, start simple, injection, boost, more boost, then nos!! 5 million hp!! i want a 14 second 620!! scare all them stang ppl.

The EFI on the 200sx (and probably the similar year L28 Z car motors), fire all the injectors at once, AND every turn of the crank shaft. This means that the injectors fire twice, each time with 1/2 the needed amount of fuel, for each cylinder firing. I think a trigger signal is read by the computer from the tach signal from the dizzy. This is why I believe a six cylinder EFI will be confused by a four cylinder RPM signal. It will think the six is really turning slower and give fewer injector pulses.

The injector timing isn't critical, if an intake valve is closed, the fuel and air just wait in the manifold until it opens, just the same as a carb engine.