L20B Turbo

hmmm.. so whats best to do... go with the carb setup.. or fuel injection.. if i couldnt get a FI manifold whats the best way to make one.. also would i need a computer for the fuel injection? or? how difficult would it be to plumb everything?? would it clear the steering column in my 620? been thinkin alot about it an i think thats the route im going to go.. im not lookin for alot of horse power.. maybe 150 or so maybe a little more..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go to 'The 510 Realm' there's a guy called hairfaus (Chris) who has an L20B EFI project. Got a 280 z intake and cut and welded the two halves to make an L20B intake (very well done, and cool, very trick). He is now looking to turbo it. It's a good read and you might get some ideas (or change your mind lol)

go fuel injection. A carbbed L20b turbo will have less power than a KA24e

you're doing this for the nostolic reason of running an L-series, right? Because you know an engine swap to pretty much anything else will not only be easier but probably more powerful. And I'm talking about an NA engine.

L20bet 8psi probably 140-160hp at most

Tell keith law that with his 300HP L20B turbo monster....:confused:

That's 30 years of development. I thought he said between 220 and 240 to the wheels was his estiment. Did he dyno it?

Yah the A.S.S. dyno.

Yes they have dyno days up here. There's one in the works and we'll soon know!

I think he ran a larger cam and recently went back to the old one. It should be safely over 200 hp, safely! Maybe the unknown amount arrises from RWHP and trying to guess the crank hp.

bleach, yea i know most engine swaps would get me more power and such, but i like my lil l20b and i think im gonna stay l-series in the truck i was jus lookin for some more power, an maybe a blow off valve lol, theres not alot of l20b turbos around an the ones that are around are spoken highly of.. it'd just be nice to say, Yeah i did that!.. when i get a Z or 510 or something i will do a swap of some sort i like the l28's those are cool but an RB is cool also.. lol

thanks mike

the hardest part is the manifolds. If you can source the FI 4-cyl intake manifold and get a custom exhaust manifold made then you're well on your way.

Well, Keith probably spent twice (or three times) what a 250hp SR20DET would have cost. That's my point. It is great that he got the old L-series up to those hp levels though.

One idea might be to keep your compression low and use a closed chamber head. A way to do this is use a shorter stroke engine. L18, with the large dished pistons from an L20b. Then put on the closed chamber A87 head. It'll be a new engine on the side that you need to build but it should work better. Then you don't have to worry about blowing out the stock rings at 9psi. :D

well i got to drooling over a certain 280zx turbo intake manifold an started wondering how easy or hard it would be to make it fit the 4 cyl head... as for the exhaust manifold i maybe able to have something like that fabb'd up for me, im thinkin 7psi would be enough boost to keep me happy, an if i ever blew the engine i could either get another block an build it back up or sell the manifolds to someone else wanting to go that route an use the turbo an other stuff for another engine... i just was tryin to get some opinions and some ideas, im broke right now but i want to do SOMETHING to my truck.. so im jus tryin to figure out what that something is

you source me an intake lynch and I will cut it up for ya and weld it back together. the kiz and I are already doing it to another manifold of mine. Also, I wonder if we could section an l28et exhaust manifold? wouldnt that be crazy looking? Too bad we didnt get the euro versions that were in three seperate pieces. we could just clamp the front and rear sections together without a hitch. It would look so cool and factory as well!!! peace.

i know where there is manifold remember kyle we found it on a friday. And dont forget we can always copy my manifold for the exaust side. JUST REMEMBER LYNCH TURBOING AN L IS OFTEN MORE EXPENSIVE THAN SWAPING AN ENGIN !

p.s. don't forget to o ring the block or els you will be replacing your head gasket !

Keith runs over 10:1 compression with water and al cool injection to tame the cylinder temps. Less than that and there's little throttle response in the lower ranges. His has an I/C and a blow through a Weber carb induction.

I thought it was dynod at 260 wheel a # of years ago. Its faster since then. We will find out on the 25th. 510 club dyno day. Come up and run!!!

I am excited to find out what kind of power it puts down. It looks fast thats for sure :D

the hardest part is the manifolds. If you can source the FI 4-cyl intake manifold and get a custom exhaust manifold made then you're well on your way.

Well, Keith probably spent twice (or three times) what a 250hp SR20DET would have cost. That's my point. It is great that he got the old L-series up to those hp levels though.

Yeah Keiths car has tons of power but tons of gauges to go with all that power. When I had my sr with 200rwhp I had no gauges haha not even a gas gauge :D I'm not trying to talk you out of your idea just adding a little side note :D

well i got to drooling over a certain 280zx turbo intake manifold an started wondering how easy or hard it would be to make it fit the 4 cyl head... as for the exhaust manifold i maybe able to have something like that fabb'd up for me, im thinkin 7psi would be enough boost to keep me happy, an if i ever blew the engine i could either get another block an build it back up or sell the manifolds to someone else wanting to go that route an use the turbo an other stuff for another engine... i just was tryin to get some opinions and some ideas, im broke right now but i want to do SOMETHING to my truck.. so im jus tryin to figure out what that something is

It will keep you happy for a bit anyways :D I think it will be a fun project for sure!

Definately go FI. The cut 280 mani can be done although the two sides are about 1/4" off.

figt28r003.jpg

When is it going to be on the road?

I would tell you soon but I've said that before. Kids go bact to school soon and I have about a month time off comming from work. Im definately getting the itch though. I finally got the intercooler mount worked out so the only thing holding me back is the time.

FI setup (Manifold, Injectors, ECU, wiring, etc.)

Turbo

Exhaust mani

Charge piping

BOV

Oil supply pickup point

Oil return point (bung welded into oil pan)

Boost referencing ignition with timing retard

Intercooler

High volume oil pump

High volume/pressure fuel pump

FPR

if your only after a few pounds of boost I dont see why you couldnt run another vehicles EFI system from say like a ca20 or even the uber rare pontiac sunfire turbo. If you could find the turbo sunfire stuff then you could run individual coils! My buddy has an oil feed and drain kit from jgs that he could sell ya pretty cheap. nice stuff too like braided ss feedline with fittings and a silicone 7/8 drain tube with fittings for a garrett. were gonna have to go j-yard hunting for that turbo and manifold. peace.

An oil cooler

More extreme:

O ringed head

Exhaust temp gauge

Water injection

An '80 through '83 200sx EFI will work and only six wires to hook up. The CAs will work but require a crank angle sensor distributor I think. That's the beauty of the 200sx it's primitive but simple and will work with ANY 4 cylinder gas motor.