mechanical advice

Moisabamf

since it seems i am going to do a rebuild of the car, i want some advice

now i have rought 1500 dollars to do this.

800 is going toward engine rebuild,

so i have about 700 dollar budget right now

i want the car to run better on the freeway, what is the best differential for freeway driving? the only one i can think of is the datsun 210 diff, but that only brings the ratio from 3.9 to 3.88, which is basically negligent.

so either get a 210 one, or rebuild mine.(can you get a lower gear ratio made for a housing?)

and im also going to put in a bigger radiator with an electric fan.

aside from that im good to go

all of this for Canby. i hope you norcal folks are happy:D

and my pops wont be done in time. loser. it seems that i will be basking in the "farthest driven" glory alone. unless datrod goes. but if he does ill kill him on the way:lol:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix
since it seems i am going to do a rebuild of the car, i want some advice

now i have rought 1500 dollars to do this.

800 is going toward engine rebuild,

so i have about 700 dollar budget right now

i want the car to run better on the freeway, what is the best differential for freeway driving? the only one i can think of is the datsun 210 diff, but that only brings the ratio from 3.9 to 3.88, which is basically negligent.

so either get a 210 one, or rebuild mine.(can you get a lower gear ratio made for a housing?)

and im also going to put in a bigger radiator with an electric fan.

aside from that im good to go

all of this for Canby. i hope you norcal folks are happy:D

and my pops wont be done in time. loser. it seems that i will be basking in the "farthest driven" glory alone. unless datrod goes. but if he does ill kill him on the way:lol:

I will go to Camby in my 610. That is the plan. There are Datsun fans looking to go to Canby, so I do not think going alone will be a problem.

About your differential, like Gzilla said, I would place my bet on a 5 speed. Good to know about your project. Glad to hear you are not selling your 1200!:D

I would lower your car a bit for the long highway trip. No need for big expense, with the stock parts, just by griding and separating the coil spring perch off the strut ( allowing it to slide through the strut ) and using a clamp, you can have an effective coil over set up.

The rear is not difficult either, you can use a one in block, 1.5 block, or have your springs decambered.

Keep us posted!

OH!, I forgot to mention, the 120Y sway bar fits the 1200. I learnt that at the formerly cool Datsun 1200 site. I do not know if the 610 or 710 stock bars would fit. I have both ( I swapped bigger sway bars in both my 710 and 610 ), so if you need one, I will give it to you, my contribution to your build!

We have to make sure it fits, I will try to find out.

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Jaime._________________________________________________________

About your differential, like Gzilla said, I would place my bet on a 5 speed. Good to know about your project. Glad to hear you are not selling your 1200!

im glad for your concern, but there was and never will be a plan to sell it

the only way that car goes is wrecked with me in crunched inside

Mo,

The 210 is a coil spring rear axle. I put one into my Morris, but it was a real pain in the ass. You have to cut off the 4 link mounting tabs and fabricate spring perches and have custom u-bolts made. I would suspect a custom driveshaft may be necessary as well. (Or mods to an existing shaft)

I'm pretty sure the 210 has a wider track width than the B210 axle, and that might stick your wheels out a bit far.

The B210 came in a 3:70 ratio and I have a NOS ring and pinion for one.

If you're interested, I have a rear axle from a B210 sedan (yes, they are different for Coupe and Sedan just like the 110's) that you can have for free if you want to come pick it up. I have $150 in the NOS ring and pinion, and looking to get that back out of it. (You don't have to buy it if you just want the axle)

I don't know the existing ratio in the rear axle, but it was a junk yard pull. If you recall, I was going to rebuild this unit and put it into my sedan. I ran into a 1200 sedan in the junkyard and decided to grab the rear axle out of that and put it back to stock. (It will be fully rebuilt first)

If interested, get a hold of me, or we can chat about it Sunday. If you don't want it, let me know and I will see if anyone here wants it, or I will junk the thing.

Mo, the 3:889 IS a 3.90 I think. It's just rounded up is all.

Going to lower rear will kill performance. Try to find an over drive 5spd. like this FS5W60A from an '81 210. I think there was an FS5W63 dogleg for A series too. Not sure. It would be the same as the 200sx but with a bell for A series.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transFS5W60A81210.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W60A81210.jpg

You say you're off to Mexico? Have a look around down there for one. Drive it back.

Edited by datzenmike

mark, i will get taht NOS ring and pinion and axle from ya

datszenmike i have to dogleg 5 speed in the car now.

and looks like ill be off to mexico every year for a month, and this year were taking a truck, so i plan to come back with some 160j fenders and bumpers for those unfortunate enough to have park bench bumpers

Guest jaimesix
mark, i will get taht NOS ring and pinion and axle from ya

datszenmike i have to dogleg 5 speed in the car now.

and looks like ill be off to mexico every year for a month, and this year were taking a truck, so i plan to come back with some 160j fenders and bumpers for those unfortunate enough to have park bench bumpers

;)

by griding and separating the coil spring perch off the strut ( allowing it to slide through the strut ) and using a clamp, you can have an effective coil over set up.
Do tell. It makes sense, except what is this part about a clamp?

3.545 ratio from Datsun 210 (B310) 1980 with A15 -- the center pumpkin bolts right into the Datsun 1200, no need to replace the axle housing. You will need a 1975-up driveshaft. Some say put a 2mm spacer on the gasket, others say skip that it works anyway.

Do tell. It makes sense, except what is this part about a clamp?

Instead of a welded perch (like stock) or an adjustable plate/screw (like adj. coilovers) you have a clamp positioned/tightened where you want the strut perch to be. By moving the clamp higher or lower on the strut you reposition the perch and coil.

By playing with these variables you can get an idea of what you want.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/rpmmph.html

Don't forget tire inflation, even a few lbs. can make a difference.

Edited by athoose
more info
  • 1 month later...

Yes, Sep. 74 was the start of the 1975 model year which used A14 & H150.

3.545 is listed in the catalog as being for:

* AUTO(CAL),A12 from Aug 80 [i.e. 1979 model and newer]

* MANUAL(A14,MPG) from Aug 80

* MANUAL(A15,MPG) from Dec 1979 to July 1980 [1980 model only]

If you find one, let us know with speedo gear it has. The catalog list 16T or 17T for all models, regardless of gearing.

Nissan lists the part numbers for the speedo pinion cog: 16T, 17T, 18T

Nissan Japan Parts Business also has 15T and 19T