L18 problem

jrbd10

My car starts to die at 3,000 rpms. I mean as in when i exceed 3,000 it starts to almost backfire and start popping and eventually cut off. It doesn't matter the gear, it does it in every gear. It makes almost a gun shot sound. I just recently added some dual side drafts and a video of how it was before the cracking is coming up. Some help would be great.

Edited by datzenmike
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Vid of before doesn't really help.

Did this problem start soon after changing the carb? Maybe you should start there, or a vid of it not running right. What is the history on these side drafts? What are they off of?

Often a sudden lean condition can cause a backfire through the carb. possibly one (or both) are jetted wrong for your motor.

well the jetted thing i doubt, the guy who jetted it was spot on what he was doing but maybe they need to adjust it. Im telling you it just backfires. I had the carb for maybe about 1 day. dont know the history...of of a L18 like mine.

well i got it fixed. after changing the jets numerous times, we got it right. drove it then it did it agian. then i thought electrical. so we crack open the distrbutor, sure enough its burned, we change it and temporaly fixed it, later ill go back for a new one but for now it runs like a champ. it hauls ass.

Check that you have a ballast resistor on that coil. Without it the points will fry within 50 to 200 miles. If you have one of those 'super coils' throw away and get a matchbox and coil.... all you will ever need.

honestly not sure what a ballast resistor is but, i know the car does have one of those super coils. we are going to change it later and get a matchbox and coil like said earlier. more than likely we well do the matchbox change at the same time we change the cam and add a 5 speed.

later on im going to see if i can get a dyno done today. if not today then tomorrow.

btw it hauls ass now...still slow but it has a good punch

This is the stock ballast and a added ballast cause I added the Super coil.

The Super Coil is lower resisitance than stock so that why the added resistor in series.

A Super Coil in the box comes with a added ballast resistor of .85 ohms.

the drawing I have is of a 510 but should be similar.

Put the stock coil back in and I think the ballast resisitor is probaply still there since you dont know what one looks like or is.

Should run fine w/o point swaps every 50 miles.

HPIM0250 (2)_thumb.jpg

pertronixsupercoilsetup_thumb.jpg

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

Bonvo

Im sure there was a cam change to that also.

jrbd10,

remeber in the vid I sent you. listen to the details.

Make sure you dont just change stuff to change it.

Esp the ignition system. Buying a Supercoil and just putting it in is not the way to do things. It has to be a Matched set resisitance wise. Esp if your still running points. To much current will kill off the points and the capicitor cant handle it cuaseing sparks to arch in the dizzy cap.

The simplest and EZest EI ignition to put in is the Matchbox with a MSDcoil.

set motor to TDC install where it locks down that will be #1 go 1 3 4 2 Counterclock wise fire order and timme it to 7-12BTDC and should go fine.

Just hook it straight up as pictured and it should work.

Make sure to to have the mount with the matchbox dizzy as that is a timmed set also.

this is 2 ways to draw the same thing.

The 12volt wire is a blk/wht wire in a 510 and should be the same on later cars

521_Ei-conversionDiagram_thumb.jpg

coilwireing_thumb.jpg

thanks haniz great stuff no doubt...but

Im sure there was a cam change to that also.

Your wrong on that one...stock cam.

any head work done

honestly no i havent...but with the previous owner im not sure but i doubt it. he was an old school mechanic and i know him as a friend, he wouldnt do any head work so i doubt it.

but as soon as i have a few more upgrades, and a few other things, ill go back to dyno and find out the next number. I'll be sooo damm happy if i can reach 90 horsepower.