anyones elses goon have anoying rattles!

I just started driving my new goon somewhat regularly now and it has some really loud annyoing like vibrating rattles coming from the rear. I thought it was from the crap in the cargo area but I cleaned all that out and its still their its driving me nuts!!! It sounds like the rear doors but I can't find anything loose. It could be the hatch too I dunno? Just curious if anyones elses goon sounds like a bucket of bolts inside the car!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea it does have a headliner its in great condition still to! It don't really sound like its comming from the roof area anywhere but I can't tell it does it for a bit then quits I thought maybe it was the drive shaft hitting the floor. The car is lowered quite a bit. But I heard that sound already and its a totally different sound for sure lol! It's really gonna be hard to pin it down I think, but I gotta find it before I go beserk!

It could be something in your doors or your rear cargo. You might want to pull your panels (if you can without messing them up) to check. When I pulled one of my rear cargo ones I found a set of tire chains. Also when I removed my rear door panels I also ended up throwing quite a bit of nasty stuff that happened to get in there from who knows how long ago. Good luck.

On my blue 'goon, the roof beams that support the roof vibrate against the roof sheet metal at various speeds and rpms.... Add to that the clunk from the rear end, the whine of the rear end, the whine of the tranny .... Hey I'm deaf now ;-)!

My tailgate panel makes an annoying rattle sound at certain speeds, haven't dealt with it yet but plan to soon.

i used gooey, always sort rubber bits (like for a windshield) strategiclly around the panels...silence :sleep:

also if the door / hatch / felt seals are bad replacing them helps tremendously!

also adjusting the hatch latch helps

sounds like an ex issue, where its close to the body, & at certain speeds it vibrates horribly.

luckily i havent had any bad headliner vibes, even w/a rack.

since most of these cars are so old and maybe not knowing what has happened in past. if you have time take some time and take apart things like door panels and check for stuff inside doors like broken glass bits or tools left from repairs or crap just in doors. check all seals and replace. that usually makes a big difference in noise. also on wagons check the rear hatch latch as well as lube some of the contact points. my wagon sometimes squeaks in the hatch area so I put some grease on some contact points. all in all the cars are old and will do some creaking and popping here and there unless you totally take the car apart and address items to make it more like modern day cars (seam weld, seal replacements, old bushings, etc). good luck.

It's an exhaust pipe or muffler rattling or rubbing against a shock absorber or something. Try to find a way under it without jacking it up which can move suspension parts away form things rubbing. Grab and shake the shocks... the rubber could be worn out and it only clunks on bumps. Move the exhaust system around, check the clamps... broken loose. E-brake cables and linkages rubbing the floor or exhaust when off. (loose)

Walk around the back tugging on tail light assys. and license plate mount. Check the rear tailgate .... is it the torsion bars that support the tailgate weight? the cover? the interior cover of the door itself? Where is the jack stored? spare tire loose.

All else fails have someone crawl around inside while you drive it. Narrow it down.