electric fuel pump, but which one?

Ok, so I finally took the 510 on a long freeway cruise, she did ok at 60... but these days not many people are doing 60, so I step it up to about 75. After cruising for about 10 minutes (stock 4speed), the R1 carbs run out of fuel all together, I let off the gas and coast the to the right lane, after only a few seconds off the throttle and out of gear, I stuff it back into fourth and she refires... relief, since I had a half tank of gas and now I know what the problem is, and this also proves my theory that the stock mechanical pump is just not providing the volume needed to keep the carbs full. So I pull off the freeway and cruise city streets the rest of the way home with no issue...

Anyone running a high volume low pressure pump? Need no more than about 3.5psi... I know I'll need a fuel pressure regulator...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The capacity test is to run a hose into a suitable container start motor and hold at 1,000 RPMs for 1 minute. It should deliver 1 liter... that's close to a US quart. That... is a lot of fuel. 10 gallon tank empty in 45 minutes.

Edited by datzenmike

Its definately the pump, it runs great at city speeds, no problems... at prolonged higher rpm cruising it runs out of fuel. If I had a set of webers it wouldn't be a problem... they have big fuel bowls, but because the fuel bowls are rather small on the R1 carbs, it is necessary to run something that puts out a higher volume... it was documented in the R1 carb article I posted, but I chose to try it with the stock pump anyway, if I didn't mind driving at lower speeds, or swapped in a 5spd... well the issue would go away, but those are not options.

Justin, that pump would be too much pressure for carbs, need LOW pressure/high VOLUME.

I have some ideas but was hoping for a bit better response than this...

'79 620 with air has electric. All 720 had electric inline pump mounted just forward of the pass side rear wheel on the outside of the frame. They are capable of 3,5 lbs. I think most others cars after '80, except the HLA10, are high EFI pressure pumps

Back in the 90's my 620 I had with bike carbs, I ended up running a holley high volume pump(I think it was the blue one) as I had the exact same issue.

I tried factory electric pumps but I still drained the fuel bowls. I also belive I put bigger fuel lines on the truck to hold more volume. I ran super low pressure too like around 1 pound to keep from overpowering the float needles.

Joe, you probably have a L20b fuel pump around. Those have a higher volume, same 3.5lb low pressure as the L16 pump. Why don't you try that and see if it'll give you enough fuel? It'd be cheap to try anyhow!