L18 Thermostat housing

Drfixit

I busted the thermostat housing on the L18 thats in my 69 521 where the temp sensor screws in so I need a new one. I see a few for sale but mostly for Z cars. Where can I find out what Thermostat housings will fit my engine from other cars. Are all L series thermostat housings the same or do I need one from an L 18? Thanks again

Doc

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah I got lazy and tried to remove the sender without taking the housing off. I went to pry on it and broke the casing where the threads are LOL. No big deal just gotta get another. I see a bunch on ebay but they dont know whether it will fit an L18 or not. I'll put up a pic in just a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh mine was so coroded the bolt heads snapped off, so the only way I could get the bottom off the head was to cut the entire side wall along the long bolt! The bolt was cemented the entire way down with that weird white corossion.

TstatHousing.jpg

No. The by pass is so that water will circulate past the thermostat and back to the lower rad inlet, back into the pump, into and through the motor and back past the thermostat. The thermostat is mounted on the side of the head and without circulation, the engine can get very hot while the water trapped around the thermostat stays cold.

Heh mine was so coroded the bolt heads snapped off, so the only way I could get the bottom off the head was to cut the entire side wall along the long bolt! The bolt was cemented the entire way down with that weird white corossion.

TstatHousing.jpg

AWESOME,yours was worse than mine LOL! I bought a new one on E-Bologna and it had the by pass port. Now that everything is here I just gotta put it all together.

No. The by pass is so that water will circulate past the thermostat and back to the lower rad inlet, back into the pump, into and through the motor and back past the thermostat. The thermostat is mounted on the side of the head and without circulation, the engine can get very hot while the water trapped around the thermostat stays cold.

That just seems wrong. Lets trap the water so it will get hot, but allow some to pass so it doesn't get too hot. I'm confused. :blink: When did they decide to put in a bypass?

Man! Here's a tip go buy a little mapp gas or propane torch (handheld type) next time you have to remove steel fasterners from aluminum heat it up first and your bolts will almost always screw right out. Just a tip 8 outta 10 times it works like a charm.