Z22sT

philip1

I am going to be getting my HL510 back and I plan to make some power out of it I have a 280zx turbocharger and a good size intercooler I've swapped the floats in the carb for plastic filled ones and have added a boost port to the fuel pump. I'm not planning huge power but 200hp would be nice. with that nice 5 link rear suspension it should launch with some gusto.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't really decided yet if I'm going to go blow through or draw through and forget the IC Draw through won't require the fuel pump mods. and I could go with a lot bigger carburetor for higher power. I have had a draw through turbo in the past and this might become one I haven't decided yet.

Draw through... too much plumbing, no chance of an IC then or later.

No way you will run 12 PSI without forged pistons (well, not for long anyway) even with alcohol injection. 7 PSI do able with very limited buzz to 9-10. Some method of ignition retarder would be handy too.

Blow through... carb stays where it is and bigger one not needed. IC is FREE HP!!! Cooler intake = more boost without detonation. Can be added later. More efficient to push air, than suck through a carb. Buy aluminum pressure cooker at discount/salvation Army store, have an inlet for the boosted air welded on, drill out bottom to fit over carb studs and mount carb inside. Holes for throttle cable and fuel line. (whatever) Pressure cooker lid will easily contain the boost. Still need to be able to increase fuel pressure in relation to boost so carb will stay full. If you are shooting for 200 this will be closer and easier on an unmodified motor. At least put a KA24E oil pump on for the added volume.

I have the fuel pump sealed on the spring side and a fitting installed for boost reference. I do have an intercooler or two that could be installed quite easily. I originally was going to go blow through and added seals and capped unneeded fittings so the carb could be pressurized without a box. I was getting lazy thinking about draw through. I have all the parts for a blow through and I should not be lazy. I have a 280zx-t oil pump already installed.

There is no way its going to take 12psi to get 200hp out of that z22, if under 10psi doesn't do it an then some, there is a problem. Even less if you do some port work.

I'd really advise against a draw through. It's impossible to keep in tune, you either have to run lean up high or rich down low, the range the carb needs to follow is too great. Ya the blow through is more work but at least it's tunable.

For below 8psi I think an IC is a waste. So did nissan too that's why one wasn't equipped on the 280zxt or s12. Yes it cools the charge adding hp but that gain is negated the by distance(lost response) and weight added by the piping involved, not to mention the psi loss, which is standard.

I really have to disagree STRONGLY about turbos killing engines. Turbos are like any other power adder, you have to have taken the proper steps prior. Running a turbo on a motor built for that turbo can run reliably just as long as a stock n/a and sometimes longer because the quality of parts used far surpasses required tolerances.

What kills motors is over boosting or under building but not the turbo itself.

There is no way its going to take 12psi to get 200hp out of that z22, if under 10psi doesn't do it an then some, there is a problem. Even less if you do some port work.

I'd really advise against a draw through. It's impossible to keep in tune, you either have to run lean up high or rich down low, the range the carb needs to follow is too great. Ya the blow through is more work but at least it's tunable.

For below 8psi I think an IC is a waste. So did nissan too that's why one wasn't equipped on the 280zxt or s12. Yes it cools the charge adding hp but that gain is negated the by distance(lost response) and weight added by the piping involved, not to mention the psi loss, which is standard.

I really have to disagree STRONGLY about turbos killing engines. Turbos are like any other power adder, you have to have taken the proper steps prior. Running a turbo on a motor built for that turbo can run reliably just as long as a stock n/a and sometimes longer because the quality of parts used far surpasses required tolerances.

What kills motors is over boosting or under building but not the turbo itself.

I've done draw through in the past with a retired Ron Faulk engine L20b. I ran a Holley 750 double pumper and 25psi not really a tractable setup. with the 6.5:1 comp, t-4 turbo and huge carb it was a laggy affair but when it woke up hang on for dear life.

With this car I'm not after a sledge hammer to swat flies setup. I'm after a logical improvement over the stock power with minimal cost. I will intercool for the eventuality of adding boost later and to save a step if I go EFI.

Edited by philip1

Ron claimed the HP I just bolted it in and prayed it was the scariest most powerful thing I've ever driven. My guess would have been well over 300whp he claimed higher. I don't have a dyno sheet (it's been a few decades). Ron went into the 10's with this engine in his 1200. He is now running a 2.6 I6 turbo making a lot more power and running mid 9's.

I have experienced a 610 with a 250 hp draw through and 120hp of no2 that was actually stronger feeling than my 510 (NO2 acts as an intercooler on a draw through adding way more power than it's jetted for)

Edited by philip1
L20B, draw through, 500hp??????

Dyno slip or it didn't happen

Ya I 2nd that, I ran it though the hp calc at tuner calcs and 25psi comes to 351hp. Granted it just a calc but I can't see it being off by 1/3.

I still think the IC is moot, if you turn the boost up your not going to need just the IC your going to need internals. So to me below that point why bother and above it your going balls out anyway. Just the way I see it.

At such low boost the IC is going to break even at best only its adding weight and delaying response.

hmm well Ron is a racer so any story is possible and I may have been sold a bill of goods. I will delete any power claims if they prove a problem I was just relaying the claim of the original owner.

if I don't need a cooler I'll sell the two I have it will make the piping really simple. With the 8.3:1 comp I should be OK at the stock 280 boost of 6-8psi. I will probably need an overboard dump check valve for the transmission vacuum modulator (it is indeed an auto). I would love some taller gears as well.

Edited by philip1

whee my carb adapter came and since my carb is sealed for boost this will work great.

DSCN0454.jpg

I got it from a guy who switched to a supercharger from a turbo on his ecotec and since the OD of the TB is the same as the choke horn on my Datsun hehehe...

I will have to reduce down from this to the boost pipe but at least the hard part is taken care of.

put ther early front on it or jdm stanza it would be tits

I was thinking about putting some hella headlights in and dropping it over some trimmed Z front and stock front (in the rear) springs for A nice performance look toss in some 81-82 200sz s110 sway bars and I'd have a pretty darned good handling car to go with the power.