preferred flywheel

sliding_creep

simple questions: 74' 610 L20B, affixing an 81' 280zx(NA) 5-speed and flywheel which has a 240mm contact surface.

1) which would be more desireable for my purposes, 240mm or look for a 225mm?

2) and what size clutch kit (diameter) should i use?

(as my parts suppliers have only the two sizes of 8" dia. and 9" dia. and look at me crosseyed for mentioning metric anything.)

cheers

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It appears that only the '76-'78 2+2 and the '82 and up turbo had the 240mm flywheel. But over the years lots of stuff could have been swapped I guess.

You have little choice. The size of the 280zx 240mm flywheel determines the clutch and pp used on it. If you want to go with the smaller 225mm you will have to find a truck L20B flywheel or any 240/260 or any other 280z, 810 or 810/Maxima flywheel. BTW the 720 4X4s and all Z24 720s used 240mm clutch and flywheel combos.

8" is 203.2mm or most likely 200mm used on Roadsters and all L and Z series 4cyl cars till '82.

9" is 228.6mm or probably 225mm used on all L20B truck motors, 2wd Z series truck, 810 and 810/Maxima and most Z cars.

Edited by datzenmike

Don't forget, not that you'd probably use it, but a Z20s flywheel has a unique pressure plate mounting. And a Z24 flywheel can only be used with a Z24 crank. It'll vibrate like an sob on the other cranks.

Edited by HRH

EXCELLENT! thanks for the quick replies and good info!

now the whole setup came out of a complete 81' 280zx, probably a late 81' or an early 82' (would explain the flywheel) and all the parts looked kosher when i yanked 'em, which would indicate to me that if that car didn't have a problem running it then mine should be okay to run too. that is priovided i ask the fv(k-tard supplier for a truck or a zx-turbo clutch kit.

i suppose if anyone knows of or had a bad experience with this setup i believe i can get a re-man flywheel (contact dia. of my choosing) for cost and core thru a friend's supplier for 45 clams. i will await further prompting from smart people, b'fore i eff sumthin' up! thanks again for all the help!

cheers

And a Z24 flywheel can only be used with a Z24 crank. It'll vibrate like an sob on the other cranks.

Matt I haven't heard this. The L and Z cranks are balanced and the flywheels will swap. I have an L20B 225mm on my Z24 and works fine.

Some makers like GM? balance the motor by using the flywheel and so the crank AND flywheel must stay together. Some use the crank pulley. I believe that Datsun balances the crank thus all L and Z flywheels will swap.

If the flywheel were the true balance then the mounting bolts would be staggered so that it could only be bolted on it one position.

Edited by datzenmike
wierd, i can't get anything pertaining to flywheel selection. just some really nice stories and or pics of sweet snowy pickups and or brilliant 4dr 510's. thanks though!

cheers

I meant a google search, my b, it's a clutch/flywheel setup that 240 guys run on their ka's. Takes them from a 225mm setup to a 240mm setup using zx parts.

DJ I take it the KA uses a 225mm clutch/flywheel then? I've seen the crank and know it's 6 bolt and looks like the L and Z pattern. The Z tranny will fit on a KA so the flywheel/starter is similar.

Does the ZX flywheel swap on without mods????

There's really no modification to get the 240mm clutch on the ka. Just collect the correct parts and call it a day.

http://240sxdrifter.tripod.com/writeups/whitebunny.html

whoops! tee hee! thanks for the link, cool write up. no sense in wasting time getting a different flywheel since i have a perfectly good one to use:D!

although i am curious about being able to hook up that KA-DE to this trans??? might not want to swap to a CA-18DET, just go KA! thanks again!

cheers

• 3 weeks later...