Dumb question: 280z struts

HRH

So I yanked a set of 280z struts the other day which I'm going to lengthen for 510 inserts while retaining the good hub/brakes. I know most everyone uses the 280zx struts, vented rotor and all that.

The regular 280z struts will still work on a 510 right? I know there are a few with different spacing where they bolt to the balljoint.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean sink in the tire? Lengthening to make the same height as 510 strut cartridges and going coilover so the spring perch won't matter. Just wasn't sure if the bottom attachment is the same. Need all the travel I can get for rally. I would use the stock 510 struts, but want the better brake/hub option.

From what I have read, the 280z struts will not work on a 510. I'm pretty sure that the bolt spacing for the steering knuckle to the strut bottom is different, so you might be SOL dude. This is the reason that people don't use 240/260/280z struts, cause they don't bolt on like those from a 280zx or 200sx.

Again, this is only what I have heard, so I could be totally wrong and they could work, but my money is on that they won't.

The zx struts have vented rotors and a sliding single piston caliper. The z rotors are solid and the calipers are dual piston. The zx also has a larger diameter spring.

Best way to tell is to look at the car you are pulling them from in the JY though ;).

i know the z struts won't work with the 510 steering arms. I was given a set of bump steer spacers from my brother in law that he had gotten for his 280z

and the bolt spacing is wider and the centering hole is smaller. Definitly want the ZX stuff or 200sx.

Damn, that's what I was thinking. The last time I got 280zx struts, but this time it was easier to find the regular z. Oh well. Anyone need an extra set of 280z struts, complete? $40 and they're yours!

CorAce:

Yes, you end up spending more money, but you gain a larger hub and bearings, as well as additional strenght. Stock 510 tubes are a bit weaker than the 280zx struts, being they were a much lighter car not original intended for high performance. Seeing as I'm going to rally, bigger is better.

Yes, as far as tweaking, the stock 510 housing is much weaker than the 280z/zx housing. The housing is filled by the strut cartridge so is actually stronger when assembled than just an open tube.

Many in rally have bent the stock 510 strut assemblies. Strut tubes designed for heavier cars (280zx probably is 2900 pounds?) fare much better.

And having a bit bigger bearing is a welcome addition when you're pounding the crap out of something. Of course, eventually there is a weight tradeoff. And the 280zx strut assemblies are a lot heavier than the 510, but well worth the extra weight.

Well, fortunately another ratsun member needed some cashola, so I now have another set of struts, but these are ZX, not just Z. Took some pictures of the differences, just in case anyone should look this up in the future. Didn't realize just how different the two struts were.

Check out how much more positive camber the 280z is.

280difference1.jpg

Z spacing on ZX strut.

280difference2.jpg

ZX is on the left, Z on the right.

280zandzx.jpg

Edited by HRH