1978 datto 510 hatchback!!?!?!?!

dtauman

hi i have recently converted to the love dattos lol well i daily drive a honda and always wanted a nice drift track car but the parents. dont aprove so wen it was time to get a car i ended up pleassing them and buying a honda. its jdm not rice it gets the 1/4 mile fix for me, but i hate being a co pilot wit mii friends wen the drift in there cars. so i though it was time. time to plan a project. well i came across a deal i couldnt pass up. mii friend hooked me up wit his sr20det already pretty built. just need a turbo and oil pan becuzz of a accident. other than that i got a swap for dirt!!!!! I MEAN WHOLE FRONT CLIP. practicaly. well i thought bout just holding on to it for a while. then mii other friend got into a accident becuzz of weather and so he needed a 500 dollar car to get back and forth to work till he can afford another car. so he came up with the idea he would buy a car i would want to build then pay him lik 400 back for the car wen i was ready wit the motor. so i looked for a while for a pl510 and no luck for a daily driver for 500$ for him. then i meet this guy who was a org. owner wit full records on a datto 78 510 hatchback but he wanted lik 800 i told him io could give him 500 at most. and told him the plans for restoring it and building a drift car and i would do it at school. and he liked the idea so sold!!! i got it for 500 l20b 5 speed and runs great and next . is to strip in and sheet metal inside and roll cage , racing seats and 4point harnesses and yeah. i have no prob. wit any body work or car fab. but wen its gunna be swappin a sr into it i dont kno. ive done swaps but not this custom. ive done plenny hondas and trucks but thats simple. but takin this old and blendin it wit new sr idk ima need help guys any info on this plan help me out i will appreciate it thanks im a new member to ratsun but same name on 510 realm too thanks guys again:cool:

0203092058.jpg

0203092032c.jpg

0203092032a.jpg

0202090746a.jpg

downsized_0204091345.jpg

downsized_0204091344.jpg

0203092058a.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

SR20DET IS NOT MINE MINE IS IS READY AND JUST NEED TURBO ANS OIL PAN REALY!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure wat u mean jdm stanza ??????

and what rear end would hook this up??????

oh he's just talking about the 2nd gen. 510 like you got was called a stanza in other countries

afa rearends, the h190 is pretty strong. just make it a locker if you're dragracing, and if it breaks, put in an early supra lsd axle

The rear ends are fine. No open rear end, even a R-200 will survive long doing one wheel tire fires. The tire, and side gear that is spinning at 50 MPH is forcing the two pinion mate gears (spiders) to turn the equivalent of 100 MPH and transmit all the torque and hp the engine is making. This they never were designed to do.

I think the later 280zx struts fit but the '78 brakes are already better than the old PL.

If you mean the old 510 wagon, I think it's a couple of inches wider (not sure) it is heavier H-190 vs, your H-165B and has better ratios 3.7 and 3.889. Yours are 3.54 ... pretty sad. You would have to convert over to leaf spring and it's a lot heavier.

Take a look at the '80-'81 200sx it had the H-165 and had lower 3.70 and 3.889 gears... just swap the center section. Or see if it's the same width and swap the whole thing and you get rear disc brakes as well!!!

I think the later 280zx struts fit but the '78 brakes are already better than the old PL.

If you mean the old 510 wagon, I think it's a couple of inches wider (not sure) it is heavier H-190 vs, your H-165B and has better ratios 3.7 and 3.889. Yours are 3.54 ... pretty sad. You would have to convert over to leaf spring and it's a lot heavier.

Take a look at the '80-'81 200sx it had the H-165 and had lower 3.70 and 3.889 gears... just swap the center section. Or see if it's the same width and swap the whole thing and you get rear disc brakes as well!!!

thanks for the input idk it realy doesnt matter to me if its a few inches longer or not. if it fit it fits u kno i plan to flare fenders but not dramaticly. but yeah idk im just thinkin im goin to need a beast rear end though. and i doesnt matterto me if its lsd or not cuzz im not gunna use it for a daily driver at all if i could get away wit a 240sx rear or 200sx rear ill do that and weld diff. is gunna be a drift car anways. also im loving the postive input guys. 510 realm are hate'n and makin me sound like a douch bag.... meaning hate'n on me cuzz its not a pl510 lol. also does anyone kno if i put 200sx or 240sx rear end will 280zx struts work. thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah...the Ford 9 inch is a good idea...maybe even the 8 incher out of an fox body Mustang.

i like that idea better you can even keep the same lug pattern and have matching wheels and we all know there are 9 billion lsd options for them out there

510 realm are hate'n and makin me sound like a douch bag.... meaning hate'n on me cuzz its not a pl510 lol.

I told you on 'The Realm' that being able to communicate was important. No one hated you for having an HL, I like HLs. Run on sentences are hard to read and are a lot of bother to decipher, mistakes are inevitable.... yet preventable. Instead of the rest of the world conforming to you, how about you spend the time and save us the bother? WTF has a cell phone got to do with it? It has all the alphabet and punctuation doesn't it? Take your time, it's so much easier.

Let me say I'm not hating you, not making fun of you, your spelling or your car... I have no idea if you are a douche bag :D nor do I care. I would like to understand you better though and offer any help with your ride.

mike

Reasons the HL is far superior to the PL:

The HL already has an L20B or Z20 already in it!!! ... and it clears the hood!... and has an EI dizzy!

Lowering the rear doesn't affect the camber.

Had a 5spd dogleg option. Well it did!

Better stock disc brakes. (better than a 10 year old PL at least)

:lol: (tee hee)