i shoulda just let him...

well today me an my buddy were tryin to install a push button start on the ol ladys sentra because sometimes it doesnt want to start (its an auto) an im pretty sure the starter isnt the problem.. anyways..

so after noticing i cant reach the starter (stupid b13 1.6 auto sentra..) i have my buddy crawl under cause he did this to his b12 sentra.. well he finds the wire that connects to the battery an jiggles it an says find where this goes an hold it.. so i do.. im like its the one that goes to the battery.. he said thats fine.. so he comes up to the top an starts explainin what he's gonna do an shit.. he splices into the big cable that goes to the starter from battery im like wtf u doin dude.. he's like just watch.. so i do.. then he connects one end of the push button start to it im like oh.. ok.. kind of the wrong way to doit but thats fine.. then he tells me to hook the other wire from the push button to the negitive on the battery....... i shoulda fuckin done it... an that way when his dumb ass pushed the button he'd have gotten a little suprise! but instead we argued for like 10 mins about it until it was too late an my girlfriend had to go.

moral of the story is.. next time someone tells u to just watch, because they'be done it before... just listen to them.. who knows u might get a good laugh out of it! :lol:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah friends are usually expensive (braking stuff and such) so I would say you lucked out it didn't cost you any cash :D

well thats like the only reason i stopped him an said wait a second.. your doing what? as soon as he said hook it to the negitive i sat the shit down an was like i dont think so..

I remember a buddy of mine thrashing to get his 240 back together, it was an allnight deal with a show the next day. He had converted the rear to disc brakes and another guy was reinstalling them for him. Ended up about 5 in the morning after he was double checking everything he found that the calipers had been installed on the wrong sides. He had redo them instead of catching a few hours of shuteye.

well we didnt get it hooked up.. cause dingle berry wasnt doin it right... basicly what i do when it wont start is try nuetral.. if not then i put in park an rock it a little that usually works.. but she cant rock it hard enough.. i was just gonna install the switch under the hood but now that i will have more time this weekend i will doit right..

I have some experience doing these, but i have no idea about the engine your working with. I normally run the push button off the starter solenoid. and into the cab of the car/truck put it somewhere convent for you/her then since you dont want it stolen then put a toggle up under the dash in line with the positive or negative so you can switch the push button off.

The problem with the car... will it even crank when its in park?

I once replaced a bad Datsun ignition switch for a lady. Since it was 3-day part delivery, and she wanted to use the car in the meantime, I ran two wires out to the dash and showed her how to touch them together momentarily to activate "S" starter solenoid. I though she would be too afraid of the little spark, but she was OK with it.

All worked well that day. But the next day she called me: The hotwiring doesn't work! I ran down to the grocery store parking lot to see what was wrong. Turned out she had it in "D" position ... automatic cars only start in P or N.

well if you move it from P to N and then back again and it starts, it seems to me that your shifter linkage is out of adjustment, adjust it and it should be fine. if that doesn't work and you don't want to run a button, you could bypass the starter inhibitor relay at the ignition switch...basically, find the wire that sends juice to the solenoid in the start position, cut the wire and run a new wire from that point directly to the starter solenoid and it will start everytime. thats what i had to do when i converted my Auto to a 5sp because sometimes it wouldn't start. hope that helps you out.

p.s. if you do run the wire direct, make sure its always in P or N when you go to start it, because it will now start in P-R-N-D-2-1.

Edited by Jersey