dizzy mod

somewhere i read that you can use an A motor dizzy on an L motor with a main shaft swap and the base off an L motor. is this true? if so i picked up a remote ignitor dizzy from a 78 B210 this afternoon and if i can use it to put electronics in my truck i WILL. just need an HEI module, which i have sitting in my 85 caprice parts car, and to fix the wiring i cut on accident. please let me knwo.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mklotz did this..took the drive part of the dist.[part that mates to the oil pump] shaft & grafted it onto an E-1 motor [nl 320]. Not sure if the b 210 dist can be made to work on a truck. Plenty of EI dist.'s in the yards though found in 620's, 610's or 80 720's.

The reason I snagged this one is because its the ONLY EI dizzy that I have found intact with the exception of my first EI that broke a month or so ago. All the 620's and 720's I have seen either have points, gutted or missing dizzys or Naps-Z motors. Hence why I asked. I will try to mod it using my old EI dizzy. If it works, I will be taking pics as I go so I WILL do a write up on it.

I found this:

210 A series motors use a different drive tang but dizzy is otherwize identical to the L series dizzy. It is possible to swap the trigger mechanism of a 210 dizzy into the body of a 280ZX dizzy to make a dizzy useable on a 4 cylinder L series or swap the main drive shaft and tang of a L series dizzy into the body of an "A" series dizzy.

Yes, the parts are easily found at a junkyard -- once you find an 80s Datsun. As per the picture, that is 1979-1983 Datsuns of all kinds, trucks, Zs, etc. You just (carefully) hammer it off the shaft, it's only held on by friction of the roll pin.

If you can find a distributor that looks rusty or is missing the black box, you might be able to talk them into a $10 "core" price like I did. But most yards won't sell it that cheap.

I have a spare one I'll mail to you for $10 if you don't want to search a junkyard. I was able to buy Datsun matchbox distributors in 2005 for $25-$45 bucks complete in complete condition, and working. Although some yards wanted $75-$125, i declined to buy at those yards. However:

* the vacuum advance was leaking on practically all of them -- that's a $65-$100 new part

* most of them also had broken vacuum advance plate bearings -- a $75 part at Nissan. I rebuilt a couple of bearing plates for no cost, but it was pretty labor intensive, like two days.

When the bearing plate is bad, the plate moves around and the reluctor teeth can hit the inductor teeth. Even worse is the mechanical advance is jerky or stuck.

When the vacuum advance is bad, fuel ecomony is not right -- at least. At worst it stumbles just off idle, doesn't run right.

Edited by ggzilla

When the bearing plate is bad, the plate moves around and the reluctor teeth can hit the inductor teeth. Even worse is the mechanical advance is jerky or stuck.

When the vacuum advance is bad, fuel ecomony is not right -- at least. At worst it stumbles just off idle, doesn't run right.

sounds like my matchbox. the teeth got broken on mine hence why i figured ont eh A motor dizzy. not happy bout it as i would rather have the easy wiring and compact setup but ya do waht ya gotta do.

In your new distributor, make sure the ring doesn't move side to side. Also look down inside and if you see a ball bearing loose, the bearing plate is broken.

If the vacuum advance is leaking, you can probably swap the one from the old distributor, that is fairly easy to do.

a Pertronix is just a electronic ignition conversion. a kit more or less using the stock coil and ballast resisitor ina datsun.

The advantage is you dont have moving parts and stuff to wear out and it more accurate. THATS IT!!!!!!!! And on Datsun its for single point distributors only , You cant make the dual point dizzys works. i tried.

The Nissan Match box is a Better and more True EI as its designed to use the low ohm coil that runs on the 12volts. NO ballast is needed. so youll get that bigger spark.

Later A series dizzys also had the Matchbox module as the later Z cars and I will assume you can swap them around to use.

However that one in the photo Im not sure of. Maybe its the remote transistor type ignition box needed like in the early78 cars. But were you could use a GM modle to make that work but only guessing here.

here are my Pertronix

HPIM0252 (2)_thumb.jpg

HPIM0260_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I have learned something new.

Does the Malaysia Pertronix for Datsun A engine look like this?

th_Aseriesdist003-1.jpg

click for bigger picture

ya...that's what im using now..what is the price there? here is about usd80 new..at junkyard it will cost half of it..

Edited by dreamers_vault

$80 !!! Here they are like $240.

a Pertronix is just a electronic ignition conversion.
Well, as DV pointed out yesterday, Pertronix do sell entire distributors. As in the picture above of Nissan A engine distributor. Which uses a high energy gold matchbox which you can see in the pic -- totally different from Pertronix conversion kit.

In USA, I found that Pertronix has three product lines:

* The conversion kit

* a hotter spark kit, looks like it is using GM HEI module

* entire distributors for Ford and Chevy V8s

Mopar- did you ever find out if the A dist can be adapted to work on an L motor?

Just saw this ad on the JNC site. I know the seller so im sure the part is good...

http://www.japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3631

Edited by Pacific coast Datsun

Hi, I'm new at this forum, I'm mostly on 311's.org. I build the electronic conversions for the Datsun 1600 and 2000 roadsters. I use A series matchbox units mostly.You are all correct on most of the stuff. A few constants on junkyard distributors.. ALL the vacuum advances are bad. 95% of the breaker plate bearing plates are broken, and almost all have a broken spring and/or frozen advance weights from sitting in the junkyard.

I replace the plastic bearing holder with a custom steel roller bearing and put in a new vac advance. On the Roadsters, the shaft has to be swapped for the tach drive gear.The advance curve needs to be changed, as most older cars will need 7.5 to 9 deg advance vs the 14 to 15 deg the 210/310 used. The 4 cyl and 6 cyl are the same, except for the reluctor and stator having 4 or 6 teeth, so you can use a 280z model and swap parts to use on a 4 cyl.

Earlier models, 77-78 can be used to directly trigger an MSD, eliminating the module altogether. I'm starting to offer complete units and rebuild service for all Datsuns, just ask.

Pertronix , Crane XR-700 and other conversions work well, they have less spark energy than a matchbox, and replacement parts are hard to find on the road.

Anyone needs info, feel free to email. EastCoastRoadster@comcast.net

http://www.EastCoastRoadster.com

Dave

Edited by dbrick