Opinion...again!

jrbd10

Ok, need opinion again. So to start my rebuild (lets keep in mind this will be a slow rebuild) I would like to change the Carb. Now heres the question, side draft(either 40 or 45 Weber) or a 32/36 DGV. I will also take advantage and compare my stock setup to either one of the two by horsepower figures in the name of science. So in the long run what do you guys recommenced. I know both are really common, but I do like side drafts a bit more. I would need to find a new manifold however. Please argue it out. Although my bet is on side drafts.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dual Side drafts (4 barrels total) on a 4-cylinder engine gives superior HP and economy. Defintely better than a 32/36 downdraft. Plus they are more tunable. But will cost you two-four times more than a 32/36.

Get Weber DCOE 40, Mikuni/Solex PHH 40, or Dellorto 40s. In Japan the Mikunis are most popular for Datsuns. In USA, Weber is most popular.

It depends on how much money you got. Sidedrafts can cost a bundle and you will have to buy a manifold. A 32/36 will give you some perf. and fuel economy is about the same as stock but when the secondarys open up you can feel it more than the stock. Who will install this? If a shop then that's extra money. I would do a cost analysis first.

ggzilla says that sidedrafts are economical, I am not sure about this. Remember 32/36 is designed for perf and economy vs. sidedrafts perf. only and as far as adjusments or maintainenance, the 32/36 is easier to adjust. 2 screws and that's it, typically (idle and mixture). The sidedraft you will need to get a synchro tool to properly adjust. I would call places like weber direct or pierce manifold. I heard that mikunis no longer exist so getting spare parts for these maybe hard to come by but I would do a cost analysis first.

the one who would instal it is a family friend mechanic. Loves my 710 to death. Does free oil changes minus the filter! He was a trained technition for Datsun/Nissan from 1968 to 1988 so he knows what to do. I can count on him. But I'm guessing this would cost about 1,050 installed. Assuming both 40 are about $400=800 Manifold $200=$1,000 instal $50=1,050. Bear in mind these are just raw guesses. I'll call once I have the money to spend. But I think its a good guess for now.

Yeah, Hainz is a lucky SOB.:P Who ever heard of slapping on a pair of sidedrafts and have them work?

most people don't get as lucky as Hainz... Just slapping on a set of sidedrafts will give you headaches... Tuning a set is expensive. Now this mechanic you speak of, he's the same guy you were counting on to give you $12,000? Maybe you better go talk to him before this ends the same as the last one...
Who ever heard of slapping on a pair of sidedrafts and have them work?

raises hand. :D (i did rebuild them first though)

will try again w/a set of mikunis next...

no recomendation for a single side draft!

rebuild kits= a 32/36 is ~$25 to rebuild, dual 45's were ~$100 (w/new isolators)

super score for a complete set of duals $400, new 32/36 $250

:mad::mad::mad:

raises hand. :D (i did rebuild them first though)

will try again w/a set of mikunis next...

no recomendation for a single side draft!

rebuild kits= a 32/36 is ~$25 to rebuild, dual 45's were ~$100 (w/new isolators)

super score for a complete set of duals $400, new 32/36 $250

most people don't get as lucky as Hainz... Just slapping on a set of sidedrafts will give you headaches... Tuning a set is expensive. Now this mechanic you speak of, he's the same guy you were counting on to give you $12,000? Maybe you better go talk to him before this ends the same as the last one...

Good point...I always go by that adage, " measure 3X and cut once not cut 3X and measure once". Regarding finding used sidedrafts and making them work out of the shoot is by chance. Most used once I came across have been sitting around for years and requires rebuilt. So it sounds like more conscious thinking is needed. BTW how's the engine, I highly recommend that you do a compression check bot types before buying the sidedrafts. I've seen too many people get excited about putting on and purchasing these shiny sidedrafts, withouth considering the overall condition of the engine. I would also call weber direct or Pierce Manifold and talk to them to see if the carbs you are planning to put on is just right carb or too much..Again it's about measuring 3X and cutting once.

zumm no he is not the guy i asked. i know if i call and ask him he would give me a date so he could do it. i will do a compresion check with the same guy and hell maybe change oil for kicks! and see how much new sidedraft could cost. so far around the 400 for 1. i would like to get 2.

wow 2 set of carbs just showed up!!!!!!!!!!!If comeplete just bolt on.

those are not bad prices.

If you cant afford this then forget all your plans cause to build a fast 4 cly will cost 4x more than buildinga V8.

Both good buys if you trust shipping your money to someone over the internet

You know sometimes you can buy a mnotor already done when peole go to a KA/SR to save on cost.