?-Question regarding rims for 510

jefe de jefes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. Now once I do the zx coilover mod will I be able to use the stock 510 components such as rotor,caliper,and pads?

Or will I have to go with the 280zx gear?

Reason why I ask this is that my local JY has a half off sale this weekend and I want to make sure I pick up everything I may need.

Reason why I ask this is that my local JY has a half off sale this weekend and I want to make sure I pick up everything I may need.
Might as well grab as many sets as you can, then ;) s11 200sx rear disc calipers, or mid 80's maxima rear disc calipers are "popular" rear brake swap options (need custom brackets). B210 brake booster works too.
There are 2 pros to doing the 280ZX struts, they give you 1/2" narrower track as well and the spindle angle gives more positive camber... Why is positive camber a good thing. In this case since it's built into the spindle angle, when mounting wider wheels it allows more back spacing than stock struts.
The strut angle is the same as 510 except for possibly some way back early 280zx's. There's one guy that claims to have seen a set, but there's no proof elsewhere that I've ever seen.
Might as well grab as many sets as you can, then ;) s11 200sx rear disc calipers, or mid 80's maxima rear disc calipers are "popular" rear brake swap options (need custom brackets). B210 brake booster works too.

When you say "sets". Is that the strut with rotor,caliper,and brake hardware?

280zx was only made 79-83... There is no "way back early" cars... I can personally confirm there is most certainly a difference, I've done it twice... And both times my cars were lowered prior to installing, and lowered more after, end result was less camber even with more lowering.
Yeah, I know, but there are notable differences between the years, and Nissan has also been known to change minute things without telling anyone.

http://the510realm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3525&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60#p70830

Sounds good. Now once I do the zx coilover mod will I be able to use the stock 510 components such as rotor,caliper,and pads?

Or will I have to go with the 280zx gear?

i dont know why anyone hasent said anything on this yet

use the zx brake parts bigger calpers bigger, vented rotors its not just an upgrade for the struts its also a brake upgrade

i dont know why anyone hasent said anything on this yet

use the zx brake parts bigger calpers bigger, vented rotors its not just an upgrade for the struts its also a brake upgrade

if i remember right i dont even think the 510 stuff would even fit on a 280zx strut.. nor would u want to keep 10" rotors when u could have 11"!

Yeah,,, you need to get the struts, rotors, calipers, brake master cylinder, and probably more.

When you have all that stuff, you will still need coilovers, bump steer spacers, shocks, maybe camber plates, it aint cheap...

I was looking at your 4dr on craigslist for months, it only has a L16 with a auto transmission, what is wrong with the stock suspension???

I don't know exactly, but it sounds like the cheapest 280zx strut swap will be close to what you paid for the car, you should save some money for a 280zx 5 speed.

Yeah,,, you need to get the struts, rotors, calipers, brake master cylinder, and probably more.

When you have all that stuff, you will still need coilovers, bump steer spacers, shocks, maybe camber plates, it aint cheap...

I was looking at your 4dr on craigslist for months, it only has a L16 with a auto transmission, what is wrong with the stock suspension???

I don't know exactly, but it sounds like the cheapest 280zx strut swap will be close to what you paid for the car, you should save some money for a 280zx 5 speed.

There's really nothing wrong with the stock suspension. I just want to be able to run the 16x7's. Yeah, it has the l16 w/auto tranny. I have an extra 5speed(dog leg) and l16 if needed. That automatic tranny has got to go though.

Edited by jefe de jefes
+22, if you end up wanting more offset later, you can add a spacer, +15 will be too Much for stock struts (fender clearence).

Perfect. I just want my dime to have a low look with the tires tucking. I'm not after performance or handling. I'll be driving it to work not on a track. Thanks for the input guys. I really apreciate it.

for a daily driver... 15" tires are cheaper! :D

Im not really worried about tire prices but I just received a reply from them and they don't carry a +22 offset wheel in 16x7". They do have them in +15 but then I'll have fender clearance issues right?

What can I get away with if I go with 15's?

Dude,,, those wheels will never fit a stock fendered 510

This pic is 16x7 Rota rb's with +22mm offset

IMG_0660.jpg

So yeah do some more research,,, because 16x8 wheels will NEVER fit in the front of a non-flared 510, no matter what offset

Indy NEVER SAY NEVER :lol: I have 18x8s all the way around on my 2 door FJ car and I am working on 16x8s for race tires at the moment just need to mount up a tire and check for clearance :D here is a pic of the rears

newshoes3.jpg

newshoes2.jpg

Edited by 69FJWagon
added pics