Opinions on what price I could sell my truck for.

Joecar

So I’ve been working on this truck but it just has problem I didn’t take into consideration also I’m in California and having a Weber now I cannot pass smog, I saw another truck I might look at but was wondering how much I could get out of this one or if I should just keep it as a parts truck maybe. Has 200k plus miles, new head gasket, Weber 32/36, new ranchero shocks, new tires, fresh bed liner, off-road lights and new carpet.

97B37C26-7E9C-4E9B-A489-BDE009A4D158.jpeg

89B40F26-2524-4B73-B074-6D6A09A00E05.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg

IMG_4290.jpeg

IMG_4272.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have the old Hitachi ECC carburetor????  If you threw it away, not a good idea with any old Datsun/Nissan used parts, find one and put it on for the tests and keep the truck. Or at least it can be tested and will sell for more.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Do you have the old Hitachi ECC carburetor????  If you threw it away, not a good idea with any old Datsun/Nissan used parts, find one and put it on for the tests and keep the truck. Or at least it can be tested and will sell for more.

Yes I have it, got it installed but the computers weren’t working with it, it’s off a 1986.5 v6 I believe but hooked it up the injectors and it fires it just runs rough. I might keep it until I come back to college and work on it. I’m just having a Weber installed on it for now so I can maybe see if it’s still working good original that came with the truck was taken by our mechanic years ago before I even had the truck so don’t know where that went

That body is way too nice to use it for a parts truck! What part of California are you in? Plenty of folks in Oregon or Arizona would LOVE that truck and don't have the same silly smog laws. Specifically Arizona as any small truck sells for a mint, doubly so if they are a 4x4! I get asked at LEAST once an outing in my 720 if I want to sell it in AZ.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Logical1 said:

That body is way too nice to use it for a parts truck! What part of California are you in? Plenty of folks in Oregon or Arizona would LOVE that truck and don't have the same silly smog laws. Specifically Arizona as any small truck sells for a mint, doubly so if they are a 4x4! I get asked at LEAST once an outing in my 720 if I want to sell it in AZ.

Southern California, riverside area

Riverside eh, that wouldn't be THAT crazy for an Arizona dweller to come grab the truck from you. I say toss it up on the Phoenix and even Las Vegas craigslist and see what happens!   

OK.......

How many wingnuts holding the air filter on???

1/  it's a carburetor. For California an ECC and you'll have an O2 sensor.

2/ Its the throttle body injection TBI with two injector EFI.

Hard to tell in that picture but looks like it might be EFI. Mixing years and parts is bound to fail and will never pass an inspection. How is VG30i V6 stuff ever going to work on an earlier Z24i. Search for the correct year throttle body and get it going. It's a nice truck why put a Weber on this and take off the road.

18 hours ago, datzenmike said:

find one and put it on for the tests and keep the truck. Or at least it can be tested and will sell for more.

There's a basic rule about roadworthy vs worth. If it can't be driven down the road (in this case, legally) it's technically worthless. How much will it take to get it to run and pass smog? If you brought it to a shop and had them do the work, it might take 6-10 hours to get it all working properly. That's well worth the cost because as it sits, your going to get $1000 for it. Running and registered, $4000-$5000 easy. It is a nice truck.

• Like 1

What year is it? I have one of the old carbs that came off of an 86 ST. It’s pretty rusty, and I. Also have the air filter assembly. I have no use for it since my truck still has its original carb (and I live in Georgia so no smog issue) if you want it, I can send it to you, just pay the postage. That’s if you plan on changing the carb and keeping the truck 

D50E375A-7856-41EF-9F8D-D19DE3B708FF.jpeg

There may be differences between 49 state and CA legal carbs (Mike would know), but honestly, if it looked stock and had the CA sticker under the hood, it's possible that the smog tech wouldn't even notice. I know a guy who got his Datsun passed with a DGV Weber because he took the time to modify the stock air filter housing in a way that looked stock. The smog guy didn't even bat an eye.

• Like 3

California carburetors and perhaps some used in close by states but perhaps with no testing? have 6 wire electrical plug at the right rear on '83 and up. There is a 'computer' under the seat with inputs from TPS, water temp sensor, neutral and clutch switches, battery, vacuum switch and coil negative for knowing RPMs and an O2 sensor in the exhaust manifold. The primary jet is actually a solenoid opening and closing many times a second. Once warmed up and in closed loop mode with the O2 sensor the mixture is precisely controlled at/near stoichiometric. Basically a perfect mixture for mileage and low emissions. Idle, during warm up and at full throttle the ECU is overridden for max performance. Because the mixture is infinitely adjustable, any failure in the system could result in a dangerously lean condition and engine damage so the ECU defaults into an over rich 'limp home' mode. It's assumed the owner will notice the terrible mileage and explore the cause. 

All other states use a two wire (idle cut solenoid and choke heater) wire plug and the carburetor is just like any other previous Hitachi down draft.

• Like 2
On 8/12/2024 at 7:11 PM, datzenmike said:

OK.......

How many wingnuts holding the air filter on???

1/  it's a carburetor. For California an ECC and you'll have an O2 sensor.

2/ Its the throttle body injection TBI with two injector EFI.

Hard to tell in that picture but looks like it might be EFI. Mixing years and parts is bound to fail and will never pass an inspection. How is VG30i V6 stuff ever going to work on an earlier Z24i. Search for the correct year throttle body and get it going. It's a nice truck why put a Weber on this and take off the road.

It’s has two wing nut holes on the air filter cleaner, I’ve been searching and searching for the correct tbi but it’s really difficult. 

5 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yeah, you need the exact same TBI as what was on there originally. Not only does it have to pass the emissions test, it will fail a visual check first.

Well until I find one I’ll be using the Weber. The truck will be in another state but the state doesn’t require me to register the truck over there for school but when my tags expire and I need another smog that’s another problem I could run into, unless I register the truck over here

On 8/13/2024 at 7:10 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Yeah, if that truck gets sold for pieces, I'm gonna email @Joecar some anthrax.

For the FBI and Homeland Security alarms set off by the NSA terrorist watch keywords algorithm and are now or continuing to monitor Ratsun posts, and have absolutely no sense of humor... this was obviously meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously. I might suggest that you eat more fiber and get an AI in there to sift through our replies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

For the FBI and Homeland Security alarms set off by the NSA terrorist watch keywords algorithm and are now or continuing to monitor Ratsun posts, and have absolutely no sense of humor... this was obviously meant as a joke and not to be taken seriously. I might suggest that you eat more fiber and get an AI in there to sift through our replies. 

For the record, you can't email anthrax.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

For the record, you can't email anthrax.

40 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

But does the NSA know that??? The algorithm doesn't care. That word tics a box.

Take that shit to Destruction! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Dguy210 said:

Have you done this? I have a friend who registers all of his grey market vehicles in South Dakota, but I haven't asked him about the process.

I did recommend Wyoming to a guy who bought a grey market G-wagen, and he said it cost about $1500 to do the deal, but was able to do it over the phone.

7 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Have you done this? I have a friend who registers all of his grey market vehicles in South Dakota, but I haven't asked him about the process.

I did recommend Wyoming to a guy who bought a grey market G-wagen, and he said it cost about $1500 to do the deal, but was able to do it over the phone.

Haven't done it, just heard it about as the next step now that the Vermont loophole is closed. I live in Oregon so we have a state specific loophole around the DEQ if you live in one of the DEQ counties.

• Like 1

Ya'll are so funny lol.Have a tag in one state,driver license in another and what about the vehicle insurance.They would not go for that?What about when you need to use your road side service.My insurance company only tows 15 miles then they charge so much for extra miles.Fraud.Lucky I live in Georgia.To get a license here,you have to have proof you live here.In 2025,EV's will be scrapped and Keystone will be pumping us some fresh gas.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Haha 2