1969 vw bus, what have i gotten myself into?

Posted (edited)

Also we got one of the 2 new side windows in... 

The old was similar to this with just 1 vent window, which didn't open...

20240730_184253.thumb.jpg.8b66afb0e0328ffe309c1ddd82847357.jpg

To this....

20240730_184258.thumb.jpg.940f00ec7e925e029fbbce7e472c31d6.jpg

With a nice opening...

20240730_184309.thumb.jpg.fdb17f378c11e07d34202098270c1760.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last thing i was trying to do was make the corner markers also blink as turn signals....

In my datsun I used a trailer light box to make the side markers turn signals and a parking light on the single filament bulb. This didn't seem to work in the vw... to be continued....

Since I'm using a standard led flasher relay now, I just made the corner light blinkers instead....

20240730_184454.jpg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Last thing i was trying to do was make the corner markers also blink as turn signals....

In my datsun I used a trailer light box to make the side markers turn signals and a parking light on the single filament bulb. This didn't seem to work in the vw... to be continued....

I was once told by someone older and wiser that on a Datsun you can run the ground wire for the side marker to the positive wire of the turn signal. Then the side markers work as normal until you put on the turn signal, then they flash opposite the tail lights. I tried it once and it worked for me, YMMV.

Maybe could do similar on the VW? 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

I was once told by someone older and wiser that on a Datsun you can run the ground wire for the side marker to the positive wire of the turn signal. Then the side markers work as normal until you put on the turn signal, then they flash opposite the tail lights. I tried it once and it worked for me, YMMV.

Maybe could do similar on the VW? 

The only problem doing that is it runs power to the housing when It flashes... you have to isolate the metal of the housing and the car body.....

The trailer box worked great on my datsun...

The vw wiring is weird, some i have changed and some of it I haven't figured out yet.... 

I had that experience too, had my 620 glass shipped up to the border then loaded it up for the 7 hour drive north. Safer to keep it vertical than lay it down, but kept fingers crossed at every major bump in the road.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, EDM620 said:

I had that experience too, had my 620 glass shipped up to the border then loaded it up for the 7 hour drive north. Safer to keep it vertical than lay it down, but kept fingers crossed at every major bump in the road.

Well it made it home safe.... 

Luckily it was only a 10 minute ride....

Installer comming this afternoon....

I can finally get the wife back in the bus ...

• Like 2
On 7/31/2024 at 4:58 PM, Crashtd420 said:

The only problem doing that is it runs power to the housing when It flashes... you have to isolate the metal of the housing and the car body.....

On a Datsun, the light housing is isolated from the body. That's (partially) why they have a separate ground wire. 

Are they not isolated on the VW? 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, datsunfreak said:

On a Datsun, the light housing is isolated from the body. That's (partially) why they have a separate ground wire. 

Are they not isolated on the VW? 

On my datsun side marker the ground is to the housing, that's where the ground wire is attached... 

Yes there is a rubber gasket, but what about the screws... just seemed to risky to me....

But I just realized that the vw housing is not the same,... yes it's plastic, and the back had 2 terminals.... 

So the wiring trick might actually work for the vw... I'll have to try this weekend and see.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well it made it home safe.... 

Luckily it was only a 10 minute ride....

Installer comming this afternoon....

I can finally get the wife back in the bus ...

I had Best Buy deliver the new shop TV because of the glass screen and the size. Apparently they are very fragile. Must be Italian.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well everything went good...

Nothing broke....

It was a bit of a struggle.... the new gasket was extremely tight in the opening... at first we were about 90% there and just couldn't get the final corner. Ended up removing the window and starting in that corner and we were able to get it... yes I paid and helped....

Afterwards I was able to install the other sliding window into the sliding door..

Just in time too, with in 30 minutes of completion a huge rain storm came through... 

Time for date night.....

• Like 1

The wife's new happy place...

Bus is done for the moment... I'm not allowed to work on anything that might stop her from driving it now.... So now it's on her to make it hers and tell me what it needs....

She also needs to add stuff to the hot tub area to make it more eye appealing...

Screenshot_20240803_083906_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

The wife did some more practicing this weekend.. this last time out she even drove around some back roads, at first we were just around the school parking lot... there's one with a nice long driveway with 2 schools. She'd drive up to each practicing stops and taking off..... probably go out again tonight after the rain, she's hoping to be confident enough to take it to work one day this week....

• Like 3

I think my wife actually gets why people drive a classic.. the nostalgia and the simple joy it can bring you....

She did really well this weekend, so much that she's gonna try driving it to work this morning. This will be another first for her... so I'm hoping she keeps her confidence up and takes it... 

Because I wanted to take it to work today... now i have to wait till she allows me....

• Like 2

She did it... survived her first drive to work by her self.... that was probably the most cars and lights she's had to deal with so far.... luckily it was only about 3 or 4 miles across town... but still she did it....

• Like 3

The wife has been driving it all week going to work and running some errands around town.  Some trips go better than others but it seems people are giving her a break and not honking or yelling at her for going slow or stalling.... I need to look at the shifter, she ends up in 3rd not 1st

I was allowed to take it to work today, might be the first and only time she let's me.... I was able to maintain 60-65, speed limit 55.... uphills not so much, but I'm pretty sure that's the way the bus is with only 50hp.....

20240808_070253.jpg

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well everything has been going good for the wife, she has been driving the bus as much as possible around town. We took it to drop my son off at a friend's the other day about 20 miles away.... I drove the highway there and she drove the side roads home. Unfortunately the road we were on was not the road we wanted to take and my wife got her first experience on the highway... The end of the road was the entrance to the highway, by the time we realized what was going on it was too late,  she was trying to pull over but there was no where to stop.. oh and this was not even the direction we wanted to go.... so she had a nice 3 or 4 mile drive on the highway, back tracking to an exit we could get off and go the correct direction.....

Last night when she backed it out there was a puddle near the left rear tire... leaking wheel cylinder.... I have a replacement but now I have to remove the wheel which I believe is a left handed thread and held on at 250ftlbs....

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

And I'm hoping the rear nut is in fact a normal right hand thread....

It's wierd the front left Is a left hand thread but I believe the rear left is not....

Replacement nuts say they are for the left or right side, so they have to be right handed....

Edited by Crashtd420

It was infact a normal right hand threaded nut and the wheel cylinder was leaking... 

I forgot to take pictures but I will tomorrow about how i got it apart.. I still have to tighten, bleed and adjust everything and I'm probably going to do the other side too just because I have them on hand..