L14-L16 Valves

Hello I am Steffen from Germany and I restore a Datsun 510, 4-door

For a complete original engine rebuild I need 4 Intake valves and 4 exhaust valves with 8 new pressure pieces valve stem.

My engine number is: L14-175602

thank you for your help 

sincerely yours 

Steffen

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look along the bottom of the head between the #1 and #2 spark plugs for the head ID. As stated it's likely a 210

Measure your valves.

The 210 intake valves are 38mm and part number 13201-A3000

The exhaust valves on the 210 are 33mm and part 13202-23001

If you have a 210 head but the valves are smaller let me know as there are L13 valves listed and maybe they are used on the L14. I don't have the diameters for them but if smaller than the ones above then probably same as for the L13.

Valve seals are 13207-21002 same as for all L and Z series engines. Also used on the early (mid '80s 300zx and FWD Maxima with VG30E engines.

The 210 head has very small ports compared to other L series heads and it's rumored than the 210 was designed originally for the L13 or L14 but used on the L16 possibly with larger valves.

• Like 1

Hello!
Thanks for the help!

Yes, the number 210 is between the first and second spark plugs.

The valves have the following dimensions:

Inlet valve:
- Length 116mm
- Head diameter 38mm
- Shaft diameter 8mm

Exhaust valve:
- Length 116mm
- Head diameter 33mm
- Shaft diameter 8mm

Thanks for the part numbers!

Unfortunately, I can't find any valves online based on the dimensions. Do you have the option of buying/getting some and sending them to me?

Best regards,
Steffen

Haven't seen a 210 head since the mid '80s, sorry

What's wrong with the valves?? They can be reused by refacing them and replacing the seats. Often you can just lap them and replace the oil seals..

On 6/17/2024 at 6:11 AM, banzai510(hainz) said:

I beleive the L14 is the same as a L16 in valves.  Maybe the L16SSS head has the bigger valves but in America the stock 510 had L16 with a 210 marked head and should have the smaller valves

Viellicht findet ein Datsun 180B mit ein L18 cylinder kopf es passt

Finally, Hainz gets to speak German with someone.

You're right, there aren't many car lovers left in Germany. Young people like me, who are 30, in particular, make the effort to buy and restore such old cars. The days when cars were washed on Saturdays in the driveway of every street are unfortunately over. Nowadays, you're more likely to get a police report from your neighbor than to talk about your car...poor Germany

Thanks for the part numbers! I also looked at Rockauto but didn't find anything under the Datsun vehicles...
I'll take a look right away!

Thanks to all of you!

Greetings from Cologne

Hello everyone,

I looked for the part numbers and found them, but most of them are no longer available...
The Melling V5014 have a head diameter of 42mm, but I need a diameter of 38mm.

I also need the valve stem pressure pieces, do you have a part number for me?

4 hours ago, peppi_sun510 said:

Hello everyone,

I looked for the part numbers and found them, but most of them are no longer available...

What year 510 are you using to search?

I just looked up a 1970 and it shows 33mm intake and 38 mm exhaust ...

Also the pressure pieces, are you referring to the valve guides?

If so those are there as well, plus seals.  

• Like 1
On 6/19/2024 at 5:34 AM, datzenmike said:

... What's wrong with the valves?? They can be reused by refacing them and replacing the seats. Often you can just lap them and replace the oil seals..

If replacing the seats get the newer hardened ones.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

If replacing the seats get the newer hardened ones.

Looks like rockauto has them too, seems like they only sell the hardened ones now so that's good.....Screenshot_20240620_095239_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.f5363d2ae00a7734e6e0e7e946575df1.jpg

Peppi you may have to cross reference some of the number to find them some where... exhaust is avaliable but intake is not at the moment....

• Like 1

Thanks again to everyone! That's really nice of you!

My 510 is from 1972. The dimensions of the valves that I own are the same.

I have the valve stem seals, as well as the valve guides.

By "seats" you mean the place where the valve heads fit in so that it has a flat finish to the cylinder, right?
How and with what can I get these seats? Do I need a new cylinder head?

The "hardened" valves that you mean, are they the ones with the 42mm head diameter or are they different ones?

The eBay link still works and he still sells the valves, but he doesn't deliver to Germany... 😞

I've already written to the Greek seller and am registered in a Greek Facebook group, but no one has replied there yet

On 6/20/2024 at 12:51 AM, peppi_sun510 said:

Hello everyone,

If you know of a good machine shop, they can install larger valves for not much money. It is a basic machining process which requires cutting out the old valve seat, machining the aluminum casting to accept the larger seat, and installing the seat, followed by grinding or lapping the seats to the valve. A good 3 angle valve job is standard practice these days too.

If you went this route, make sure the shop opens up the port behind the new valve seat. This is what we call the valve pocket. No idea what you would call it in German.