Multiple L20B’s street build

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

image.jpeg.966f44f4e68c97590545d339586db3b2.jpeg

Any Idea what this block came out of??? L20B and L28s adopted that style oil filter boss in '79? The L18 was used elsewhere in the world into the '80s at least. Could this one be other than the '73 610, or the '74 710/620 that we got? Perhaps an import engine?? Could be why I can't identify the N56 block.

On 4/12/2024 at 6:17 PM, datzenmike said:

N56 I don't know this one. L18s used K25 and A87 blocks?

1 hour ago, Gp620Rat said:

Just wanted to show you guys that expressed some interest the L18 project, before I throw it in the classifieds.

I just replied to your pm then saw you posted these here.  😁  PM me a starting price if you will. 

I’m not sure what car this came out of.

It’s the only L18 that I have. (I do have a number of L 16 and L 18 chains and sprockets etc…, that I still need to investigate further. )

But the gentleman that had all of these parts and pieces was certainly an aficionado. It appears that it has never been bored, it has been honed, and all of the internals look pretty sweet. brand new pistons and rings.

Question for the group:

I have two L20B blocks, both completely disassembled and missing the main bearing caps.

I rifled through ALL of the other parts that I have, and only found one complete set of L20B main bearing caps. My plan is to install them (separately, of course ) on both blocks, and measure them on both blocks, and see which one comes closest to a perfect measurement.

I know that these main bearing caps came from one of these two blocks, of that I am sure.

What do you think? Or do you think it even matters?

Was the original manufacturer of these Datsun engines that good, that the caps (not the bearings) would be interchangeable with another L20B?

I think they install them and line bore them to spec then put the crank and bearings in. I doubt they check the clearances if the crank and the caps were perfect. That set must be from one of the blocks, just keep going till you get the numbers you like

• Like 1

Thanks…great info. If I need to buy the kit, that’s exactly what I’ll get.

I have an awful lot of this stuff on hand, that came with these engines; and I’m assuming that most of it is stock from Japan.

I will be checking it out to make sure that it is still viable and usable and within spec. 

22 hours ago, iceman510 said:

Really?  Not even manifold port matching?  That's what this one looks like it had done.  I never ran it as an SCCA IT car, only group 2 in vintage.

Really, zero porting. There is "blueprinting" that can be done, but this is limited to valve job (three angle) and surfacing to the low limit. Rocker geometry via thinner lash pads too. Oh, and since the L16 cam was superseded by the L20B cam, it was legal to install one of those as a "replacement part".

Liberties have been known to take place in IT or spec class racing. I've seen heads that have been ported then shot peened to look as-cast.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Really, zero porting. There is "blueprinting" that can be done, but this is limited to valve job (three angle) and surfacing to the low limit. Rocker geometry via thinner lash pads too. Oh, and since the L16 cam was superseded by the L20B cam, it was legal to install one of those as a "replacement part".

Liberties have been known to take place in IT or spec class racing. I've seen heads that have been ported then shot peened to look as-cast.

Thanks for the details.  Good to know.  I never ran in SCCA as mentioned, so I didn't have to read the rules. 😄

• Like 1