Multiple L20B’s street build

The 219 or SSS head says 219 on it. If it says A87 it may say 219 at the front distributor side. The 219 heads had 1.5" or 38mm ports so look at them for porting marks. Closed chamber does not impart SSS status on an A87 head. A87 closed chamber heads can be 'converted' to SSS by porting the intakes.

A87 was an L18 head used here on the '73 610, and '74 610 and 620 and all were open chamber. It was used one year only on the '74 610 L20B. This was the first year the L20B was used. From '75 -'77 the L20B in the 610/710/620/S10 200sx used the U67 head. From '78 on it was the W58.

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the good info.

So, now I’m out in the shop, looking at the head.

It definitely has the 1.5” ports, the peanut shaped combustion chambers, and the 42/35mm valves, but I do not see 219.

On the valve cover gasket surface (intake side) it has a stamp F4 and another stamp SL.

On the rear of the head, etched in, it says VJ 11–87, and again on the intake side of the head, it has RallySport etched in to that face.

In sharpie, written on the front, it says SSS (super official).

Perhaps the guy before me had a copy SSS made?

On a different note, is anybody at all using, for any reason (vintage racing?) 210 heads?

I have 3 and one that is really beautifully cleaned up, and opened up. It has 40 mm ports, and is just very pretty , clean and smooth… but small valves.

is this type of head being used at all? Paperweight, Boat anchor , white elephant gift?

I also have an N58 round exhaust port, with the steel inserts.

I suppose the steel inserts can be removed… is the “round exhaust port” any kind of a “desirable feature” (with the inserts removed)?

lots of questions. Trying to narrow down (use/eliminate) all of the various parts and pieces, so that I can get started, a little more focused/less clutter on the remaining engines.

2 liter Roadster intake for SU carburetors (you could also get dual side drafts) but with the later Z car Weber down draft adapters. On the z car it fed three cylinders, on this.... that's a lot of carburetor for only 2 liter displacement.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Gp620Rat said:

On a different note, is anybody at all using, for any reason (vintage racing?) 210 heads?

I have 3 and one that is really beautifully cleaned up, and opened up. It has 40 mm ports, and is just very pretty , clean and smooth… but small valves.

is this type of head being used at all? Paperweight, Boat anchor , white elephant gift?

210 heads were used by guys running 510s in ITC class that limited you to an L16 and single carb, etc.  I had an ITC car once that had similar really nice head work done.  Still have the head, but it was overheated and has some warping.  If you did want to build an L16 for the street, you could use it.  Larger valves can be installed as well.  Limited gains to be had, but it is a small chamber and thus higher compression.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Gp620Rat said:

It definitely has the 1.5” ports, the peanut shaped combustion chambers, and the 42/35mm valves, but I do not see 219.
On the rear of the head, etched in, it says VJ 11–87, and again on the intake side of the head, it has RallySport etched in to that face.

In sharpie, written on the front, it says SSS (super official).

Perhaps the guy before me had a copy SSS made?

Is it rather "Rallyesport"?  That's Jeff Winter's shop in Colorado.  He likely did the nice work on a regular A87 peanut head to make it like that.  Those peanut heads came to the US on many Japanese import engines in the late '80's and early '90's.  I also have an A87 that is the same as that and nicely ported etc.  Spare on my shelf for whatever I decide to use it for.  I also have another A87 peanut chamber head with stock valve and port sizes (42/35 valves) that I will be putting on an L18 street build here shortly for my 73 510.

Edited by iceman510
8 minutes ago, iceman510 said:

Yes, RallyeSport with an E. And it probably was done in Colorado in 1987. Anyway, nice work…

The 210 heads, I will be selling, along with the Roadster intake.

just getting into the L18 block, and finding that it is actually a pretty nice creature as well. It has all been ground and smoothed on the inside of the block. A87 crank. Looks like new stock dished pistons…so far, so good. Going to check run out on the crank in a few minutes. Journals are clean.

3 hours ago, Gp620Rat said:

IMG_4251.jpeg

Yuck. Get rid of that pile of junk.

For what it's worth, those DGV adapters make great pieces for modding manifolds. You cut out the plenum and flange and can weld them up to a manifold that has has a small plenum and the wrong bolt pattern. I've done it a few times.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, iceman510 said:

210 heads were used by guys running 510s in ITC class that limited you to an L16 and single carb, etc.  I had an ITC car once that had similar really nice head work done.  Still have the head, but it was overheated and has some warping.  If you did want to build an L16 for the street, you could use it.  Larger valves can be installed as well.  Limited gains to be had, but it is a small chamber and thus higher compression.

You're not sup[posed to do any "work" to an IT head. They were supposed to be bone stock.

• Like 1

You can't run much else on an L16 or the compression goes down. Stock 210 is about 8.7. Closed chamber A87= 8.38 open chamber=7.69. It's rumored that the 210 was originally designed for the L14 but anyone could assume that looking at the tiny valves and combustion chamber size.

4 hours ago, Gp620Rat said:

I also have an N58 round exhaust port, with the steel inserts.

I suppose the steel inserts can be removed… is the “round exhaust port” any kind of a “desirable feature” (with the inserts removed)?

lots of questions. Trying to narrow down (use/eliminate) all of the various parts and pieces, so that I can get started, a little more focused/less clutter on the remaining engines.

We did get the W58 L20B heads for '78-'80 engines. They also had round exhaust ports with liners. By removing the valves I slit the soft steel liners with a 6" chisel into pieces and pulled them out. The first took 45 min. the rest were 10. The round ports have several small bumps to hold the liner away from the port wall so it wouldn't act as a heat sink allowing them to reach glowing temperatures. Probably run as well as the square ports.  

Some later L28s had liners and it's reported no significant gain in power by removing them.

• Like 2
On 4/26/2024 at 5:50 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You're not sup[posed to do any "work" to an IT head. They were supposed to be bone stock.

Really?  Not even manifold port matching?  That's what this one looks like it had done.  I never ran it as an SCCA IT car, only group 2 in vintage.

• Like 1