4 speed, broke something important

I’ve got the monkey motion 4 speed in my 521–

So in an attempt to tighten up some shifter slop, I broke one of the upper ears/arms that holds the fulcrum pin in the shifter lever, snapped clean off:

IMG_9901.thumb.jpeg.286adc76474cf5447d0e5d07515110fa.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg.5975b1538a91054d562e8c4d106e4a96.jpeg

So uh, shit.

Is this a drop transmission to replace that little #1 assembly situation?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next time use thin washers to remove slop.

I would put a bolt in that is snug through the shifter and the remaining ear. Tighten a nut on the outside, but not too tight or it wont allow the shifter to move forward and back. Then put a second nut on to tighten against the first nut to hold the setting.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Thank you, I was wondering if that would hold, I’ll give that a shot.

I caused this because for some reason I couldn’t get the pin back in through the three ear-shifter-ear holes (even though I’d just taken it out to add a shim in the lower sloppy section) so I went to “re-align” the ears and the damn thing snapped right off. Got too greedy.

• Like 1
On 2/19/2024 at 6:32 PM, Slow Loris said:

I’ve got the monkey motion 4 speed in my 521–

So in an attempt to tighten up some shifter slop, I broke one of the upper ears/arms that holds the fulcrum pin in the shifter lever, snapped clean off:

IMG_9901.thumb.jpeg.286adc76474cf5447d0e5d07515110fa.jpeg

IMG_0253.jpeg.5975b1538a91054d562e8c4d106e4a96.jpeg

So uh, shit.

Is this a drop transmission to replace that little #1 assembly situation?

I did the same thing....

I tried to remove that pin and failed to extract the entire roll pin....

I had a welder tig up the material and I was able to reshape the ear.... drilled a hole and used a bolt....

I have a brand new replacement piece (#1) if you needed it.... I'm not trying to sell it but I doubt I will ever use it....

Personally I'd try to find someone with a 4spd that I'll just sell you tailhousing...

Easier to swap the whole housing..

7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Easier to swap the whole housing..

Ah yeah looked you’d have to take the tail off to get to it anyway right? Good idea. I’ll see what’s around, usually not much. Either way you’d have to drop the whole thing though right?

7 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I have a brand new replacement piece (#1) if you needed it....

Well if I come up empty or things get shaky with the single ear I’ll let you know, thanks! How’d you score that? Seems like an obscure part to run across. I was a tiny little bit considering this a sign I should do a 5 speed swap but there’s no doubt that’s a little ambitious for me. 

I think I at least gotta do a clutch and a rear main seal sometime so more or less I’ll have the opportunity to make it count if I get to fixing it.

10 hours ago, Slow Loris said:

Ah yeah looked you’d have to take the tail off to get to it anyway right? Good idea. I’ll see what’s around, usually not much. Either way you’d have to drop the whole thing though right?

Well if I come up empty or things get shaky with the single ear I’ll let you know, thanks! How’d you score that? Seems like an obscure part to run across. I was a tiny little bit considering this a sign I should do a 5 speed swap but there’s no doubt that’s a little ambitious for me. 

I think I at least gotta do a clutch and a rear main seal sometime so more or less I’ll have the opportunity to make it count if I get to fixing it.

Yes transmission comes out no matter what to fix it beyond what you have done.... 

I got that part (#1) from someone who bought an entire parts stash from someone who had a bunch of random stuff. He had stuff he was throwing away that he gave me, then a bunch of oem items i could use for cheap.... I first bought a spare junk  transmission just for the tail housing but sold it to a ratsun member because they broke the seal area on the output ....

5spd is a nice upgrade if you travel a lot of highway but it is a little extra work.... 

Biggest is a new rear mount and possibly needing to shorten driveshaft..

I think the longer 71b 5spds are tricky to get in the 521... I'm not sure if it can be done with the engine in place or not.. 

If you do pull the transmission to replace the clutch and rear main it's also good to do the pilot bushing in the crank and a new throwout bearing....

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

If you do pull the transmission to replace the clutch and rear main it's also good to do the pilot bushing in the crank and a new throwout bearing....

Good to know! Pretty sure I will just go this route. I actually felt like I made a giant improvement in the shifter play with the shim I added before I broke the ear off so I feel better about the ol 4-speed. No chance in hell I’m getting on the freeway in my heap!

• Like 1