Looking for some good replacement seats for my 1970 datsun 510 wagon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you looking for a high back seat with a built in headrest, or a seat with a moveable headrest?  The Z car high backs fit well, but are hard to find drivers side in good clean condition.  If with a moveable headrest, I often use Honda Civic, Prelude or Acura Integra.............but same situation............hard to find good clean drivers side.  I looked at my 2000 Subbie Impreza seats to fit, but never tried it.

• Like 1

Old grainy photo… but early WRX seats in my 510. Fit quite nicely. Mounting may require some custom work… mine are bolted to the front seat mount and then to the floor with some makeshift spacers from the previous owner- so don’t expect them to be bolt in…

IMG_1975

I’ve got Sparco R100s in the Z and been quite happy with them for the price- a little firm but pretty comfortable. Since they fit in the Z they would definitely fit in a 510. A more universal mount so with a planted or other brands adapter for the 510 should be good to go. Photo of them in the Z - tried one of the wrx seats in the Z and it was too big.

52879713628_bdf9e25c8c_b.jpg

On 2/19/2024 at 8:43 PM, Z23T said:

I always thought the BMW E30 seats looked good in a 510. Here is an article from The Dime Quarterly about installing them in a 510. 

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2012/10/e30-bmw-seat-installation.html

We recently installed the E30 Recaro's in a 240Z & the same customer is installing the same in his 510.  Both were re-upholstered with BMW upholstery kits (Worldwide Upholstery??) & then extra matching upholstery, to recover the 510 back seat.  The 240Z was RED upholstery from WW & unbelievably, it MATCHED the Datsun red, within one tone..............we couldn't believe it!!  All of the Datsun aftermarket sourced RED interior upholstery matched the BMW aftermarket sourced upholstery!!  Both installs required relatively simple custom mounting.

E30 BMW seats must be easier ( I did read the Dime Quarterly article years ago...), but I found some nice E36 seats for my '73, and the bases on them are so tall I had to mount them to the floor without the 510 seat pedestals.  Had to make ups separate mounts for each corner to level it out with the floor height differences.