Installing weber 32/36 dev electric choke carburetor on 1972 521

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question time

Has your truck ever run with the old carburetor?

Does the starter turn the engine with your battery? Fast? slow? not at all?

Does the Weber have an electric choke?

my truck was running good, I used it almost every day for work for about a month and then one night at five guys it didn't start.  I was waiting for a tow and then I tried to start it up before the truck came and it started and got me home and then died right in front of my house ( so it ran for about a mile away) . I pushed it up and then it started one time and then died.

so I replaced the spark plugs, wires, engine coil, distributor cap and rotor, fuses and cleaned up the box still no start and then got the webber and it only started once.

it turns slow but turned faster when it was connected to my friend car.

the webber is an electric choke.

check for spark at the center coil wire to ground. If not spark ck the points condensor.  Coils usually  dont go bad and now you added all thuis extra stuff.

ck for gas going in the carb. since its new I assume Yes.

ck for tighten manifold to head.

valve las good?

this is a simple fix, its a L motor

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
  • Like 1

Never throw old parts away. Find the old coil and put it back on. It's likely better quality than the new one, keep as a spare. All the other ignition parts wear and can need replacing. Trouble shooting is way cheaper than just throwing parts at the problem.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

To save the new starter, never run for more than 30 seconds and then let sit an cool down. You shouldn't need more than a few turns to start it, so rather than burning out a starter get it tuned up and working properly.

Failure to restart could be a dozen different things. Best to find out the cause rather than throwing parts at it.

• Like 1

From last month, unanswered...

On 1/29/2024 at 8:21 PM, datzenmike said:

Would seem that the carburetor was not the cause. 

Is the choke closed when trying to start?

36 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I hope you used loctite on the adapter screw threads. They are NOTORIOUS for coming loose.

Are you talking about the nut side or where the studs go into the manifold?

You have a '72 and it should be wired for an electric choke. Look for a Blue/White stripe wire coming from the coil direction. there should also be a Red wire for the anti dieseling solenoid. Connect you electric choke to either. If you can't find...

Connect the electric choke to any switched 12v source such as the ignition side of the ballast resistor by the coil.

image.thumb.jpeg.4afc822083b059d2152db98386fced45.jpeg

Move that spring mount over to the bolt on the intake mount that is in line with the throttle cable.

• Like 1